Ongoing heachache.

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

lovernotafighter

Ongoing heachache.

Post by lovernotafighter » Sun Aug 25, 21:42 2013

So, I've had a horrible (between a 6-10) headache(migraine) everyday for 4 days straight now. I saw a doctor, and I've started an antibiotic yesterday for acute sinisitis? Excedrin accompanied sometimes by motrin, does not seem to alleviate the pain, or at least much at all. I've tried a cold pack on my head, but it didn't seem to work, and maybe even felt worse after. Has anyone ever had a migraine for this long? It'll be going on five days tomorrow, and I'm at my limit, as the antibiotic is screwing with my stomach, and I can't even always hold stuff down. Ugh. :(
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

Rainbow Dolphins

Re: Ongoing heachache.

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Aug 26, 15:19 2013

I get these sometimes (not as much as I used to thank god) and I think the longest one was six days. By day five the only thing I could do was lay in my bed and cry. Unfortunately I've never found much that helped alleviate the pain... sometimes when they're not that bad if I mix tylenol and ibuprofen it takes the edge off, but if yours has been going on that long I don't think that'll help. I have tried applying diluted peppermint oil to the skin where it really hurts and that helps a little bit. Sometimes drinking coffee will help me but I think that's only when the headaches are from caffeine withdrawal (we never figured out what the really nasty ones were coming from, there were times I really should have gone to the ER but had no insurance or money). It might be worth trying, though. If your stomach is upset, I find that drinking some plain peppermint herbal tea really helps settle out nausea, and it will help you stay hydrated. I will often drink it if I have a migrane so bad I feel like I'm going to throw up, and it doesn't help the pain but it does pretty much get rid of the nausea.

I'm glad you got the medical attention that you need and I hope the medication they gave you gets it sorted. They can't prescribe you anything for pain? I know any time I had a migrane for that long I wasn't in any shape to go to work or anything, I'm surprised they didn't give you anything.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Tue Aug 27, 20:03 2013

Thank you for all the help, Rainbow Dolphins. I saw my Primary Care Monday and he prescribed me imitrex, which I took, but it made the headache worse, I felt as if I was continually getting water up my nose, and had stiff neck muscles. Not to mention, it made me feel bad mentally, all things that supposedly are not mentioned on the internet as side effects. However, tonight am feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed. Cold packs make it feel worse, but I haven't tried heat yet. Can't drink, unfortunately, if you mean alcohol, that is. It is a comfort, as weird as it may sound, to know that it's happened to someone else (so that it is not something serious). Never had a serious one like this before. This is the 6th day. Thank you again. Fingers crossed. Will try the mint tea. No vomit today so far.

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Wed Aug 28, 21:00 2013

Not going away. I hope it's not a tumor.

edit the sad parts

Post by edit the sad parts » Thu Aug 29, 6:19 2013

I am really sorry you are in so much pain. At this point you should consider seeking further medical attention. It is concerning that you have never suffered from something like this before.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Thu Aug 29, 21:58 2013

Yes, please make another appointment with your doctor, or if the pain gets unbearable go to the ER. Maybe call your regular doctor's office and ask them if they think you should seek emergency medical treatment?
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

monk

Post by monk » Fri Aug 30, 6:00 2013

If you're throwing the antibiotic back up you need to revisit the doctor because if it is a sinus infection it won't go away till the germs are killed, so you may need a different prescribed antibiotic or maybe even a shot. I hope you're drinking lots of fluids, that should help.

I would stay away from Excedrin, it has caffeine which will not help, in fact I would avoid all caffeine. Motrin is okay, so is extra strength Tylenol.

if you cant do the doctor, call and to to an advice nurse, ask about OTC nose sprays that may relieve the sinus pressure, there are some on the market I just don't remember their names offhand.

I'm also pretty sure the cold pack is wrong too, cold is for reducing swelling and bruising, heat is for increased circulation to speed healing and that's what you want.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Aug 30, 6:29 2013

sinusitis is not migraine, they are very different. a migraine is not just any nasty headache, a migraine has a very specific set of symptoms.

(not saying that you don't also have a migraine, but I think it's important to not conflate the two)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Fri Aug 30, 19:11 2013

Okey dokey. To be clear, the headache started as a migraine, and then went onto a headache, which has gotten a little better, thank goodness. I found out that another medicine I was on was causing me to have the gastro symptoms,because apparently I might be lactose intolerant. I'm so miffed. So, I saw an ear, nose and throat, and had a sinus x-ray which came out negative. He told me to get more exercise and hydrate, explicitely. So, I believe him. I hope I'm getting better. Thank you for the thoughts. :)

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Aug 31, 10:10 2013

yeah often my migraines induce lingering long headaches. I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck, so... in theory I should do some specific exercises but I don't. Bad me.

Lactose intolerance isn't so hard to deal with actually. :) I think we had a discussion about that at some point on here. Curious about the medicine though, did it have lactose in it? (why would it?) Anyway when I found out I was lactose intolerant I cut out everything dairy (and wheat, we weren't sure what it was) from my diet for 6 weeks and then I added one back in (dairy, drank a glass of milk) and hoooooooo did it make me feel sick. So there's a cheap easy test for you to do. Glad it wasn't wheat though, that's a hard one to deal with.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!