Artwork you can't help but apply to yourself

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Sonic#

Artwork you can't help but apply to yourself

Post by Sonic# » Thu Oct 3, 13:15 2013

I was getting ready to write this afternoon, and before I turned my computer on, I saw my reflection on the blank screen. My hair was framing my face, my lips were self-evident. Beyond that, I reminded myself of a piece of artwork that keeps coming up in my subconscious: Gustav Klimt's 1898 painting Pallas Athene. Her face framed by a helmet and hair, the appearance somewhat androgynous.

I realized first that I'm privileged to participate in an artistic tradition where I can apply so much of it to myself. So much of the art I see is western or westernized. There's a central issue of representation and the ability to identify that shouldn't be skimmed over. I also realized the identification isn't quite standard - Athena and I don't share a gender, but I was nevertheless reminded of this painting. Then there are the details I hadn't considered that are interesting to notice in any work - the right hand holding a globus cruciger with the cross replaced by a naked woman, the patterns of owls in the indistinct background.

Have you ever reminded yourself of a piece of art, or seen something in art you see in yourself? Why do you think that happened? If you haven't found that, what features do you think would have to appear in art to remind you of yourself?

monk

Re: Artwork you can't help but apply to yourself

Post by monk » Thu Oct 3, 16:22 2013

When I was going to the University of Alaska, (1994?), I had to take the bus and go through Anchorage's downtown bus terminal. The terminal was on the ground floor of a big office building. The terminal was relatively new and had these weird brass sculptures of workmans tools and helmets and stuff in really weird out of the way places all over the terminal. I did not know this was a common public edifice art theme since I'd never seen such a thing before. As I would wait for my connecting bus I would always reflect that my going to school was transitioning me from the blue collar work represented around me to the white collar work of what went on in the building when the workmen were gone.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Fri Oct 4, 3:46 2013

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/ ... 8/sol1.jpg

Summer of love by Saiman Chow. Its make me feel that maybe someday even more love will be accepted. It applies to my daily life, (I have a canine companion.)

Note from cwbyrvr: Edited to remove image tag as some people are finding the image in this post objectionable.
Human are incapable of love. Only control and hate.

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Fri Oct 4, 21:11 2013

^^ Wow. :) In a good way. I have no words.
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Oct 5, 8:31 2013

DOOM, I find that utterly unpalatable for reasons perhaps best left to another topic.
monk wrote: The terminal was relatively new and had these weird brass sculptures of workmans tools and helmets and stuff in really weird out of the way places all over the terminal. I did not know this was a common public edifice art theme since I'd never seen such a thing before.
I didn't know much about public artwork before coming to a bigger city than I grew up in. (They had a few civic statues.) One of the first statues I saw was in a public park, of a man with a hunched back and a long, flowing coat. The style was very... square. It's a statue of Rachmaninoff, The Last Concert. I felt some affinity with that first work, maybe because it was the first public work I'd seen in person that was neither celebrating local/national history nor classical nor gothic.

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Sat Oct 5, 10:35 2013

Sonic# wrote:DOOM, I find that utterly unpalatable for reasons perhaps best left to another topic.
Most do but I am happy you spelled my name with all caps.

Cybele

Post by Cybele » Sun Oct 6, 14:52 2013

DOOM wrote: Summer of love by Saiman Chow. Its make me feel that maybe someday even more love will be accepted. It applies to my daily life, (I have a canine companion.)
Wow, could you not? I can't tell if you're joking, but bestiality is illegal, wrong, and triggering for a lot of people. You should at least spoiler it.

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Sun Oct 6, 18:17 2013

I understand about triggers. But even if you don't believe in it, as I don't either, it's still ARTWORK. It's meant to be seen as self-expression, and I believe that self-expression is never wrong unless you are hurting yourself or someone else.
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Mon Oct 7, 0:59 2013

Yes, but talking about how you have a 'canine companion' is not art. And artwork can cause triggers, that's besides the point.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Oct 7, 11:01 2013

And (it should not need to be said) causing triggers to be triggered causes harm.

Back on topic, I have to say that I generally am not a big "paintings of people" kind of person. Most of the art that I like is landscapes or photography (some of people but not usually ones that evoke my concept of myself). There's even some abstract art that I like. I was originally going to say that I'm not really an "art" person but as I thought about it this morning, I realized that's not true. Just that I never really look for myself in art. I thought that was kind of an interesting revelation.

On the other hand I think this from the newly proposed legos is like, totally me:
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Tue Oct 8, 12:38 2013

rowan wrote:And (it should not need to be said) causing triggers to be triggered causes harm.

Very cute lego!

Also I have no clue what you mean by triggers. I posted artwork that is important to me. Nothing else, how you decide to take it is up to you. Artwork is expression and causing others to define their own expression by looking upon it.