Recipe: Spicy Sausage Soup

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Rainbow Dolphins

Recipe: Spicy Sausage Soup

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Oct 20, 2:27 2013

This is a spicy broth soup made with smoked sausage. It was a clean-out-the-fridge recipe but it turned out really good so I thought I'd post it on here so I could remember what I did. All measurements are estimated after the fact, your mileage may vary.

Ingredients:
Smoked Sausage (Keilbasa or similar), split in half lengthwise and sliced 1/4 in: ~14 oz
White or yellow onion, small dice: 1/2
Potato, small dice: 2-3 medium (I used a yukon gold and a couple russets, but whatever kind of potato you like)
Carrots, small dice: ~1/2 cup (I sliced some baby carrots)
Bell Pepper, small dice: 1/2
Bean Sprouts: ~1/2 cup
Garlic, sliced thinly or chopped: 4-6 cloves (I used pickled but fresh would be cool too)
Green Onion, sliced: 2
Pasta: 1/3 lb (whatever you have lying around; I used mini penne)
Water: ~1 1/2 qt

Spices:
Chicken Base: follow mixing instructions (I used like half a seasoning packet from a ramen noodle)
Cumin Powder: ~1 tbsp
Hot Smoked Paprika: ~1 tbsp
Garlic Powder: ~1 tbsp
Onion Powder: ~1 tbsp
Black Pepper: ~1 tsp
Red Pepper Flakes: ~1 tsp
Hot Chili Powder: ~1 tsp
Chipotle Powder: ~ 1/2 tbsp
Sriracha: ~2 tbsp (more if you want spicier)
Chili Garlic paste: ~1/2 tbsp (more if you want spicier)
whatever the fuck else sounds good that is on your spice rack

In the bottom of a medium-sized stockpot or saucepan, brown the sausage pieces over medium heat. Add water and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. You can add more water during cooking if it reduces too much. Add white onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add potatoes and carrots and cook until slightly soft. Add pasta and cook until almost done; add peppers and bean sprouts when the pasta has about two minutes left. When all ingredients are cooked through, remove from heat, stir in green onions and let cool for a few minutes before serving. The starch from the potato and pasta will thicken the soup; it's a pretty thick hearty soup, without much broth. Remember to taste throughout the cooking process and adjust seasonings.

Total cook time is probs about half an hour. Prep time just kinda depends on how fuckin' organized you can be, and if you are trained to perfectly cut vegetables in your sleep like I am. And how good your knife is. Like I said, I just threw in whatever was in my fridge... I also cooked some frozen pork wontons in there and it was pretty good. So, if there is something hanging out in your fridge that sounds like it'd work I encourage you to throw it in and tell me how it was. I think it would be good with shredded chicken in it, and if you had some random chicken in your fridge or freezer (especially on the bone) you could make chicken stock and avoid using instant base or ramen seasoning. I was too hungry to do this and took a shortcut. You will notice there is no added salt; the sausage is salty and if you use a chicken stock base that's salty too. If you make your own chicken broth you might need to salt.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

octarineoboe

Re: Recipe: Spicy Sausage Soup

Post by octarineoboe » Mon Oct 21, 7:24 2013

This sounds delicious, and is yet another reason I need to get around to making a batch of chicken stock. The estimated measurements and "I did this but use whatever you want" style is exactly how I like to cook, too (I'm terrible at following recipes exactly).

Will let you know if I try it!

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Oct 21, 10:20 2013

Sounds awesome, I may have to tone down the spicy factor for kidlet (some day, some day, she will like the spicy) but I think I'd love it the way it is.

Definitely having a clean-out-the-fridge day soon around here, so who knows what might get tossed in as well.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Oct 21, 19:07 2013

I froze my leftovers and reheated it and it turned out fine except the potatoes got mushy; honestly I think I overcooked them in the first place and that's why. This recipe as it stands probably serves about 6.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!