how did you use to dress?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

how did you use to dress?

Post by spacefem » Sun Sep 13, 17:01 2015

I was watching "Anywhere but here" on netflix and natalie portman is rocking the 90s bohemian t-shirts under dresses look through the whole movie. also if you haven't watched every episode of "my so called life"... it's worth it just for the clothes. the flannel takes me home.

I'm just wondering if any of you remember your favorite clothes through the decades, even if you were a kid in the last decade, you can play too, what'd you love to wear?

my faves:

1) a white polo shirt my dad bought me at a garage sale
2) I had some textur-y plaid keds shoes that I wore with a big oversized gray t-shirt my freshman year of high school, it was super soft. I still miss the grunge era. we were so comfy. I also had a red t-shirt that said ENUF on it that was a favorite.
3) my freshman year of college, I wore pocket t-s and baggy guys jeans every day and we'd make fun of the sorority girls in their tight black pants. that was their uniform.
4) As an elementary school kid, so this would have been the 80s, I remember two favorite outfits. One was a black sweatsuit (yup) and the shirt had bright neon cactuses on it.
5) the other was a sweater that was a giant elephant and one sleeve was the trunk. that's actually still a pretty good idea, now that I think of it. the other sleeve was purple and matched with the purple corduroys that went with it.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Sonic#

Re: how did you use to dress?

Post by Sonic# » Sun Sep 13, 17:54 2015

1. Sometime in middle school, I switched to wearing mostly jeans and pants even in the summer. I never looked back. These were usually paired with a t-shirt with some logo or cartoon or witty saying on it. If I was feeling fancy, the t-shirt would have stripes.
2. In early college, I discovered my love for corduroy. I still wear it a lot. I also grew more fond of certain kinds of button-downs. Usually solid colors, occasionally flannel.
3. I wore a lot of ballcaps in the 1990s. I did play baseball.
4. I used to love wearing windbreakers. I had a blue and orange one. Later I switched to suede jackets.

ohbonobogirl

Post by ohbonobogirl » Sun Sep 13, 18:43 2015

In middle school, we had a strict dress code of tucked in shirts, belts, etc. My 8th grade year, they transitioned to uniforms. It never occurred to either me or my parents that I'd need new white tops, so I spent all of 8th grade wearing my dad's white dress shirts with navy blue pants. Occasionally I'd borrow one of his novelty ties, too. On a dress-down day, I remember a particularly spectacular outfit of black, Union Bay corduroy overalls with a red 101 Dalmatians button-down shirt underneath. I thought I was cool, the cool kids, not so much.

I think I wore some variation of Levi's 550 jeans and a too big tee shirt nearly every day of high school. For those not in the know, Levi's 550 jeans were relaxed fit, tapered leg. Toward the end of high school, I cut a notch in the ankle so the legs weren't so tapered. But, yeah...this was my outfit. The t-shirts were usually leftover freebies from a bike race I volunteered at every year with my grandparents.

I don't remember what I wore in college apart from my shoes. For some reason, my roommates and I all had several variations of a pair of new balance trail running shoes. None of us ran, but those shoes lasted years! I do remember what my now husband wore. A ratty t-shirt, a pair of jeans that must have started off as moss green, but were by then some faded puke color, and a too-big, unbuttoned button-down shirt. It's probably a good thing we found each other as our fashion sense wouldn't have allowed us to find anyone else...

Neko

Post by Neko » Sun Sep 13, 19:17 2015

I dress the same. Jeans and a shirt. Sometimes an over shirt. Sometimes a hoodie.

ONE OUTFIT! FOREVER!
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Sep 14, 0:30 2015

I use to think it was cool to wear tight fitting graphic tees to show off my marginally muscular arms. I had every shade of cargo shorts for a while as well.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 14, 15:58 2015

1. I spent most of my time around 11 I think wearing knee-length jean shorts and a navy/grey sweatshirt. This was late 90s.
2. I had a brief period in grade 9 where I tried to dress like the cool kids. I think it worked but there were a lot of graphic print T's with monkeys or words like angel written on them. And a lot of light blue. Ick. I was a big fan of a trendy Supergirl shirt I had around this time though.
3. I then transitioned to a kind of grunge meets 2002 style which consisted of wide leg jeans, a graphic print t (preferable with a band on it if I could afford/find one. This was in the years before hot topic came to Canada), and a possibly ripped over large hoodie. And don't forget brightly coloured hair. ( home dyed.. But we did a pretty good job. I think I've done every colour at least once).

I think 3 was my favourite. The wideleg jeans make me cringe now though.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

monkeypoop

Post by monkeypoop » Mon Sep 14, 21:18 2015

1. When I was really little I had a UCLA sweatsuit that was yellow with blue letters. I called it my "blueberry muffin" outfit.
2. In elementary school I had some really great overalls - I remember a denim pair with flowers embroidered all over, and another pair that was black and velvety with pink and purple flowers.
3. A purple bucket hat with hippie flowers that went all the way around.
4. In middle school, I had this awesome jean jacket that had a big silvery metallic butterfly on the back. Ugh it was so cool
5. In high school/college I had a blue hoody with Snoopy wearing big dorky glasses that said "I love nerds"

Ooh, I forgot about corduroys, I think I had a pair of purple corduroy pants that I loved as a kid - I thought the sound they made when I walked was really neat.

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Tue Sep 15, 14:11 2015

These are all awesome. :)
Boy am I glad my mother started to let me dress myself from the time I started to show an interest, which I think is about five. I love everything! As a matter of fact, fashion is one of my fortes. :) But really I think fashion is whatever is fashion to you. :) After college, I basically started dressing in t shirts and jeans almost every day if i can. I vary it up a little when I am going out somewhere special. But boy do I like being comfy. I think it's all that stress from working, school, life, etc....that makes me want to be comfy everyday. Though if asked to, I've always been ready to pare down my wardrobe to probably five outfits. Anyhoo, that's me! :)
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Sep 16, 12:01 2015

Used to?

I still pretty much dress in jeans & a t-shirt when I'm off work. Professional is business casual w/a button shirt & khakis.

The only change is that the only time I wear shorts is when I go to an amusement park.

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Wed Sep 16, 14:16 2015

My favorite outfit as a kid was a light blue dress covered in outline drawings of big cats. I have no idea what kid it went to after me, but I hope they loved it like I did. I had a lot of dresses, skirts, and animal-themed garments, and in elementary school I had days-of-the-week underwear.

In my teens I did a lot of tank tops covered with button-down shirts tied in front, and I only wore jeans, ever, even in summer and at graduation.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Wed Sep 16, 16:41 2015

One time, I wore camouflage pants and a tie-dyed shirt.