post up your holiday shopping/wish lists - grownup edition

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

post up your holiday shopping/wish lists - grownup edition

Post by spacefem » Sun Nov 22, 10:13 2015

let's talk about what we're getting/asking for this year even though it's not thanksgiving yet! but it is late november, so there's some of this going on right?

this thread is only for grown-ups. we have a separate kid gift ideas thread here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48577

post up a person - describe his/her age and interests, then say a cool gift for them, and maybe we'll learn from each other.

or post up your own favorite items you'd want, what are you asking for?

keep it awesome!
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

rowan

Re: post up your holiday shopping/wish lists - grownup edition

Post by rowan » Sun Nov 22, 10:21 2015

Flying stuff! I'm trying to decide what kind of headset to get, but I need to find a way to go try some out. I'm going to borrow a friend's for a while (she got a new fancy one so I can use her old one) until I figure out what I want, but $$ toward that expense is top on my list. Also there are a distressing number of middle grade books on my list. hehe. Also I think I have a bunch of things on modcloth that I've saved, like the wine glass with the chemical makeup etched into it.

ETA: I just made a ginormous wishlist on modcloth, damn that site has me hooked. But I just bought myself the most ridiculous hat, I am so excited for it to arrive. :D

Big people I want to buy for:
My parents are always hard, IDEK
my husband I still haven't even gotten a birthday gift for even. He's been doing archery, anyone got suggestions?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Sun Nov 22, 19:37 2015

I want a good quality camera with a modest zoom for vacations. The phone ain't cuttin it. Can barely crop and enlarge and retain any kind of resolution with the smart phone.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Nov 23, 7:14 2015

I want some bowling gear. I started bowling in leagues again after a 7 year hiatus. My shoes are still good, but my 2-ball bag is comically ragged and my strike ball has become worn.

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Mon Nov 23, 15:54 2015

I want a maternity coat. Actually, I don't want one but I'll need one by Christmas. The last few years I've only ever asked for necessities.

For my mother in law, I bought a set of three decorative serving dishes with penguins on - she really likes Christmas stuff - and I might also get a mini-garden/terrarium because I know someone who makes them. Although I need to check that it would be cat friendly and/or that it would stand up to abuse by her two boisterous cats.

artemiscuous

Post by artemiscuous » Tue Nov 24, 9:06 2015

I want wool socks, maternity workout gear (I have no idea who even makes these, thoughts welcome), and snowshoes.

I have no idea what to get my husband, as usual, because all he wants is super expensive tech. Everything he wants is upwards of $300. He has expensive taste.

I've gotten into the habit of making photo books of my son for my parents and grandparents, then getting them a book I think they would like. I might do golf tournament tickets for my dad.

It sounds weird, but for my sister, I am getting her a subscription to Rock & Ice magazine and a nice day planner.

My cousins and I do a gift exchange and I got my 28-year-old straight male cousin. I have absolutely no idea what to get him. I mean, he's kind of close to my age, but unmarried with no kids. Maybe he would like a sportsball jersey??? I literally have no idea.

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Tue Nov 24, 12:06 2015

I asked for a new iPhone case, and have stated that at this point new socks are always gonna be an awesome gift. I think my bf and I are going splitsies on a WiiU as each other's present.

Got someone's extra phone case for free, decided WiiU is too extravagant right now...still gunning for socks.
Last edited by Meperidine on Wed Dec 2, 15:12 2015, edited 2 times in total.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Wed Nov 25, 23:05 2015

art I hate how expensive tech is too. All these black friday "deals" on 4k TVs... I don't care if it's half off I can't afford it. I noticed that besides the huge black friday sales there are some slightly better than normal sales right now. I found something for 20% off that wasn't marked as a black friday sale.
Last edited by Nerd1987 on Sat Nov 28, 11:22 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Fri Nov 27, 11:59 2015

I want a kiln, however even though I could save up and afford one- the cost is too scary, so instead I'm getting bits to make one for xmas. I've just given family members links or referred them to specific shops.. they'll probably be shocked when what arrives is some angle-iron steel and some steel wire wound kiln elements....

Went on holiday with my other half this year- touring whiskey distilleries and I took a photo of the front of each one- so I'm buying a big multi-photo frame and putting all the photos in it. Along with some actual whiskey.

Sister is getting home made knitted socks (not made by me). Mom is getting a gig ticket. Everyone else is getting a food-hamper, this year will be home-made chilli jam and homemade marshmallows, with purchased local cheese and crackers and macaroons.

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Sat Nov 28, 5:24 2015

I'm giving myself handknit socks, designed by me. Mostly everyone else is getting woven scarves that I've made in the last couple of months. A few friends who knit are getting yarn instead.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Dec 2, 18:10 2015

I found these beer glasses that are designed for specific types of beer, and I think I'm going to get them for my dad: http://shop.sempli.com/product/monti-ipa
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Dec 2, 21:35 2015

I also wouldn't mind getting Xenoblade Chronicles X. I liked the exploration, battle system, and story of the prior game in the series.

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Thu Dec 3, 18:03 2015

I have all the possessions I need.

I really do need a savings account, though.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Dec 11, 22:35 2015

I got my mom a tea mug like the one I have at work, that has a wire mesh basket in it and a bunch of looseleaf tea for her. She was really enthusiastic about our ceramic ones we have at home, but I actually think they are harder to use than the wire mesh basket insert, since with the ceramic ones the holes are small and if you're putting the insert in to re-steep, hot water can gush out everywhere. I also got some chocolates & will probably bake a bread to bring home with me.

Dad, I got these ridiculous deer lights, and a jar of cayenne spiced nuts. Probably need something else but idk.

My SIL I got a cookbook that is entirely mac and cheese because if left to her own devices that's all she'll eat, I think. One sister I'm getting Pandemic (original version) and the other sister I'm getting this cool shawl thing. Dunno brother and BIL, though I did get some hot sauce made with ghost peppers that could go to one of them.

A silly thing I put on my own list: hat boxes. The aforementioned ridiculous hat purchase made me realize that I kind of actually need some. Weird.

I'm going to get Exploding Kittens and Forbidden Desert for the hubby, I put Smallworld on my list because I like it. I put Tokaido on his list in case someone gets it for him, I think he would enjoy. So those are some games...

I also put Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia but that's kind of specialized. If someone doesn't get it for me I'll go buy it myself.

Actually doing all right, need to find something else for my dad, and things for my brother, two friends, and my nephews & niece.

I could use some advice for my geek/physics friend who is in his late 30s and just got engaged to a very lovely geeky girl.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Dec 12, 12:15 2015

^ We probably talked about this last year, but you and your hubby have great taste in board games!