new years resolutions?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

new years resolutions?

Post by spacefem » Sun Jan 3, 9:04 2016

Happy 2016, forum friends!

Anyone have anything you're going to try and do different this year? Or are you all "don't believe in resolutions" people?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Enigma

Re: new years resolutions?

Post by Enigma » Sun Jan 3, 9:40 2016

I'm not really a resolution person usually. At least not at new years, I do make them at birthdays. This year I've developed a massive get the house clean and declutter plan.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Jan 3, 10:03 2016

I don't make a point of making resolutions at New Year's but I have resently resolved to have more control over my body. The only concrete goal I have right now is to be able to hold my breath for more than a minute. I'd like another element to have something to do with flexibility and balance, but I haven't decided anything more specific.

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sun Jan 3, 10:15 2016

My aunt does this thing whete instead of a resolution, she chooses a word to focus on for the year. Her word this year was Love, so she's going to try to love more and hate less, I guess.

I actually really like this idea. I'd like to focus on health this year. I gained a pretty ridiculous amount of weight between two pregnancies (100 pounds) and my body is definitely feeling it. I'd like to get healthier. I've lost some weight, and I'm feeling good about it, but I want to start moving more. It's been difficult because of my foot, and progress is slow, but it's still progress.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Jan 3, 10:25 2016

I don't do resolutions in general, because I think if there's something I should be fixing, I should just do them whenever I notice. But this year I actually am coming out of some heavy things, so I have a few that I'm going to do, it just happens to line up with this year:

* do more of the emotional labor in my relationship/with the kid. Pick up a lot of the slack I dropped this year (due to Things, I mean, there's a reason, but I have to get back on the horse doing them). By far the biggest one, and the one that is most resolution-like
* learn to fly (I started toward this but then I got mega sick and you're apparently not supposed to fly hopped up on drugs ;) )
* eh there was one other fun thing but I forgot what it is. I'm sure it will come back to me.
* continue anti-racism work (on myself and in the broader world)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Sun Jan 3, 16:12 2016

Work out once the other people crowding the gym fizzle out. It's something I've been meaning to do regardless of the new year

KristaAlexandr

Post by KristaAlexandr » Tue Jan 5, 13:43 2016

Hmm, first post so here we go,
:chainsaw: patriarchy
:bulb: the world
:squirrel: away hatred
and :pineapple: .... :pineapple: .

careme777

Post by careme777 » Tue Jan 5, 18:05 2016

I don't usually make resolutions, but I've got a few goals for the next while. Mostly because I find when I have goals that I can come back to throughout the year when I feel aimless, it helps me to keep my focus. So far I've got:
- bake more (i used to really like baking and then my body started rejecting dairy and it's taken me a long time to figure out how to bake without it, and I want to get back on the wagon this year)
- learn to make tempeh (this stuff is really delicious, but expensive. my husband grows organic soy beans so we have basically an unlimited supply... mmm tempeh)
- get life insurance (now we have a baby and everything, I'd like to accomplish this before the end of the year)
- make more friends (I've been working on this for a while, it's slow, but I just want to remind myself that I'm working on this one)

Cleanliness is a general life goal that I've been working on for a while, so it's sort of in there, but it's not a particular focus for this year.

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Wed Jan 6, 12:55 2016

My resolutions are mainly continuations of what I'm already doing...
- train for events! I do those 10K obstacle course race things, this year I'm moving up to 15K ones.
- continue with DIY, one day I might even finish
- sort house out (it helps when it isn't a building site)
- cook new recipes!
- learn something new, I fancy swing-dancing or jive or something.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Jan 7, 9:33 2016

Lose 10 lbs/5% body fat
Cut out all junk food on weekdays (friday nights & weekends are fair game)
See at least 5 movies I wouldn't normally see on the bog screen.
Be more organized.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Jan 7, 13:22 2016

I've finally decided that my other goal is to be able to stand on my head and get there smoothly.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Jan 7, 15:46 2016

bake more often was my other one! :)

I started flying lessons for realsies! w00t! now if only the weather would stop sucking.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

To.theatlas

Post by To.theatlas » Mon Jan 11, 8:36 2016

ladyhawk wrote:My aunt does this thing whete instead of a resolution, she chooses a word to focus on for the year. Her word this year was Love, so she's going to try to love more and hate less, I guess.

I actually really like this idea. I'd like to focus on health this year. I gained a pretty ridiculous amount of weight between two pregnancies (100 pounds) and my body is definitely feeling it. I'd like to get healthier. I've lost some weight, and I'm feeling good about it, but I want to start moving more. It's been difficult because of my foot, and progress is slow, but it's still progress.

I love that idea of using one word and trying to live up to it. Love is such a huge continuum but nothing better than trying to share that with others. Good luck to you also for trying to live healthier. I've always found it helpful to say I want to have lifestyle changes rather than a resolution because that may be something temporary whereas a lifestyle change can be for a lifetime.