It came with the house

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

It came with the house

Post by spacefem » Fri Jan 8, 21:15 2016

Are there any objects in your life that you came to own because you moved into a place and they were just there, left by the previous inhabitants?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

rowan

Re: It came with the house

Post by rowan » Fri Jan 8, 21:19 2016

Oh my gosh, this is a great topic! So much weird stuff gets left behind. We got rid of a ton (had to use up our "free appliance" at the city recycling event a couple of years in a row).

The best thing they left behind though was a circular saw! :drool: :chainsaw:
(unfortunately we then lent it out to a friend and... well... now we bought a new one)

The other thing that they left that was useful was paint for all the various rooms, labeled with which room. So touchups are a snap.

The third thing that I'll mention was they left a kiddie sandbox, one of those turtle shaped ones. We were going to go get rid of it on craigslist or whatever, but then while we were gone over Christmas the first year (we moved in over Thanksgiving) they came and got it. Without permission or asking or anything. Which is like, illegal. But we were going to get rid of it anyway so we were like "uhhhh ok whatever". But let me tell you we hadn't gotten around to changing the locks but we did it that day. (We know it was them because the neighbors told us about it.)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Fri Jan 8, 22:17 2016

My cat finds toys I don't know where, I found a toy ball under the fridge that she really likes, but she has found what looks like a star wars helmet that she plays with, no idea where she got it.

The house my parents bought, the one they live in now, the guy left a big jar of change and there were a lot of foreign coins in it, which was pretty cool. I looked up how much they were worth and there was a coin that was worth $92. He also left a burning permit, windchimes and a manual to the water pump, we think he was doing a four elements thing.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sat Jan 9, 10:49 2016

Our current house has:
- a pool table
- a trash can we adopted for the kitchen because it was covered and the ones we already had weren't
- a creepy doll in the fireplace (well, now in the basement)
- a fog machine
- a much nicer shower curtain than the one we had

We're renting, so these things will stay here for the next people. Our landlord said we could take the pool table but it's extremely heavy and kind of warped.

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sat Jan 9, 11:32 2016

My oldest found this plastuc tube of play lipstick (made of plastic) that has become the baby's favorite toy.

Oh, and in one of the kitchen cabinets, a picture of the previous tenants. Naked. In a compromising position.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Jan 9, 19:40 2016

ladyhawk wrote: Oh, and in one of the kitchen cabinets, a picture of the previous tenants. Naked. In a compromising position.
:lol: How do you forget something like that? Do you think they left it on purpose, like some exhibitionist thing? What did you do with it?
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sat Jan 9, 23:41 2016

I brought it to the property manager and asked him to send it to their forwarding address.

I think he probably just threw it out, but I REALLY hope he actually forwarded it.

And I kind of think it was left there on purpose. Why else would it have been in the kitchen cabinet, of all places?
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Sun Jan 10, 14:16 2016

A rainbow golf umbrella, some reels of wire (we cashed this in for scrap!), a dart board, a creepy ET money-bank.

We also found a picture of a dinosaur on one of the walls- under the wallpaper:

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Tue Jan 12, 0:41 2016

When I was a kid that's how I got into skateboarding. There was an old old skateboard laying around. It later snapped in half and I got my own. You guys got some cool stories. That Dino has personality!

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 12, 17:29 2016

I kind of feel like I've seen that dino somewhere before. Like, it's a specific dinosaur that someone tried to paint.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

To.theatlas

Post by To.theatlas » Wed Jan 13, 15:32 2016

Oh my goodness! I can't believe some of these responses... A photo of the old tenants and that dinosaur is so adorable! In my apartment they left tons of things.. A couch, a bag of potting soil, an electric fireplace oh and an old broom with no handle... Just odds and ends which surprisingly turned out to be pretty useful.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Wed Jan 13, 17:15 2016

rowan wrote:I kind of feel like I've seen that dino somewhere before. Like, it's a specific dinosaur that someone tried to paint.
It definitely reminds me of the land before time dinosaur? Not sure if that's what they were aiming at.

Oh man so many things were left at our house. We gained points in a bidding war by saying they didn't need to clean everything out (it was an estate sale) and they late sold us some of the furniture. So it came with furniture, old tools, nails, brooms, more cleaning products than we'll ever use, some old paint with rooms labeled (karma points there to the sellers/stagers), an insane amount of hangers, some sheets, an entire shed packed with old garden tools and eighties lawnchairs, and some Catholic paraphernalia.

The fun bit was when we decided to get rid of the couch that came with the house and we COULD NOT GET IT OUT. We scratched up the walls a bunch and eventually had to cut it in half a la that friends episode where they yell pivot a lot. It was a mess. Ancient stuffing everywhere.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"