Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

what can you fix on your car?

Post by spacebot » Mon Jan 18, 2:02 2016

what can you fix on your car?

Sonic#

Re: what can you fix on your car?

Post by Sonic# » Mon Jan 18, 7:39 2016

I can change out oil and other easy-to-access parts like spark plugs and air filters. I can change the battery or a tire. With more complicated things I'd defer to a mechanic.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Jan 18, 10:17 2016

My car is a weird space car so only things like lights, tires, oil. But it's not worth my time and the waste fee/disposal, so I have the shop do it. I used to do all my own maintenance on my old car.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

iamthegate

Post by iamthegate » Mon Jan 18, 15:47 2016

No car, so no fixing of car.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Jan 18, 16:21 2016

iamthegate wrote:No car, so no fixing of car.

Ditto that!! But even if I had a car, I probably couldn't fix anything on it. I can barely fill up a gas tank, it's a little embarrassing.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon Jan 18, 23:06 2016

No car yet, but in general spark plugs/tires/air filters/lamps/wipers+blades/tires/panel+minor engine repairs/oil/other whole parts (doors/carpets/hoods/etc). Yay auto classes. Also if you have an old school Mustang I can weld you in a roll cage XD
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Jan 18, 23:52 2016

I can change the tire and replace the battery. I am kind of working on this skillset.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

monk

Post by monk » Tue Jan 19, 2:20 2016

I am working on my skill set with the new cars that I have to plug my laptop into. I can pretty much remove/replace anything that's on a car pre-2000 with a little help from the manual for that specific vehicle. It helps that I started learning this from my dad when I was ...8?(my dad almost never went to a mechanic till he was in his 60's) and also I worked for a mechanic for almost a year (I mostly ran his office).
The things I can do without looking at a book
remove/replace carburetor, brakes, tires, fuses, radios, steering column, ignition, starter, alternator, fuel pump, water pump, radiator, plugs & wires, distributor & rotor, filters, oils, fluids, wipers, taillights, headlights,
The things I would need a book
clutch, transmission, fuel injection, electrical, on board computer stuff, heater core, dashboard stuff, AC, master cylinder, pistons & rings, head gasket, body work.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Sun Jan 24, 9:48 2016

I have the impression that I can fix most things.. this doesn't always go according to plan. But I have successfully fixed head gasket, wheel bearing, axles, various chips and sensors, suspension bushes, locking system, tyres & wheels and replace lights (and bulbs).

I'm awful at bodywork. Doesn't stop me trying- but I'm awful at it. I figure the dents and multi-coloured panels on the car warn other people to keep their distance.

My main problem is getting bolts undone after my OH has done them up- I'm not the incredible hulk!

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Jan 25, 20:59 2016

I don't know what I "can" fix, but what I do fix are things I know I will be able to put back together in working order!