spacebot

Are you poor?

Post by spacebot » Sun Mar 6, 2:01 2016

Are you poor?

Nachos

Re: Are you poor?

Post by Nachos » Sun Mar 6, 9:37 2016

Literally or relatively?

I have savings, but I don't earn much. I am in a position where I don't have many outgoings right now (therefore letting me have savings) but if I was not to be in this position any more, I doubt I would have enough money for rent/food/bills for more than three months.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Sun Mar 6, 13:40 2016

No, not at the moment. I earn a decent amount, which is handy as my Partner can't work anymore. It isn't that I earn lots, it is just that I don't spend very much- my outgoings are small: teeny mortgage, teeny bills (heat the house mainly with wood- and it's free!), no phone contract, cheapest car ever that I fix myself, grow a large proportion of our food, etc. This makes me poor in time, but not in money!

monk

Post by monk » Sun Mar 6, 17:47 2016

yes
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

araprado0214

Post by araprado0214 » Mon Mar 7, 19:38 2016

What is our definition of poor? I feel very blessed because we can pay for rent, we pay for all our bills, we always have food, and we can afford to eat out. But we don't have savings. So does that make me financially unstable?
If you don't know how to accessorize properly, you don't know much about fashion.

monk

Post by monk » Mon Mar 7, 19:52 2016

araprado0214 wrote:What is our definition of poor? I feel very blessed because we can pay for rent, we pay for all our bills, we always have food, and we can afford to eat out. But we don't have savings. So does that make me financially unstable?
I think of my friend who does exactly what you stated and makes close to $100,000 a year who is not poor. BUT "we can afford to eat out" to him means that they only cook at home once a week and spend close to $2500 a month on outside the home food. No, he is not poor. He is living richly.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Ucallthesebagels

Post by Ucallthesebagels » Tue Mar 15, 13:56 2016

:dollar: if we are talking monetarily, yes, given I have chosen to work in education and make less than I deserve.

:kiss: if we are thinking about the company I keep, I feel well off. I am compassionate and love people but keep a small group (partner and dog) in my corner and this is plenty. :paw:

:schoolbus: I feel wealthy in terms of culture and education experiences and enjoy paying this forward.

:tooth: healthwise I am rich as I haven't any major disabilities or ills that need medical interventions.

So, no, I'm not poor.

Aum

Post by Aum » Wed Mar 16, 9:15 2016

If you have disposable income that you can be frivolous with then you're not poor, like eating out.

Yup right now I'm pretty poor. I'm on government disability because prior to getting sick I was just starting out as self-employed and I didn't have time to start a nest egg. C'est la vie.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Mar 16, 11:28 2016

I work in non-profit research.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Mar 16, 15:42 2016

I am neither financially nor socially poor, I think. I have a lot of fantastic friends who would step up and help if I needed it.

I used to be financially poor though, and I'm glad I'm not in that situation anymore. Also with Obamacare I worry a lot less about falling back into that should situations change.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!