The ethical minefield that is feeding kittens

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Charli!

The ethical minefield that is feeding kittens

Post by Charli! » Sat Jun 18, 13:34 2016

So I have two kittens, they are 14 weeks old and called Diefenbaker and Omar (bonus points if you can guess where the names come from).
ImageImage

At first they ate 'standard' branded food, but this only has 4% meat in it and lots of random carbohydrates. I used to look after 'big cats' and we'd never feed them cat food, even if it came in big enough cans- because it isn't an appropriate diet for them- cats can't digest anything but meat. So we switched to a higher-end food that I had to order online (60% meat), but it came in stupid little pouches that generated lots of litter, and was made some distance away and imported- in countries where they don't seem to have the best animal welfare laws. So, we switch to a raw-meat diet- British farmed meat, all processed in Britain, ships from a few counties away. Ok, it involves rather a lot of packaging- but at least it is recyclable! But they're eating me out of house and home! The packaging seems to think a 3kg kitten will eat only 150g- my 2kg kilo kittens quite happily scarf down 400g each per day!

So now I'm on the hunt for cheaper (ie: not pet food branded) minced whole meat. And it is remarkably difficult! How much bone and offal does it contain? Mince size? Where is the meat sourced? Organic, free range, etc? How much ridiculous packaging is it shipped in? I insist of any meat I eat being free-range/outdoor reared (I even keep my own chickens so I can have properly free-ranged eggs), but can't find out similar information for my pets food.

There's so much to think about! Animal welfare seems to exist for pets, but not for the animals that the pets eat.

ladyhawk

Re: The ethical minefield that is feeding kittens

Post by ladyhawk » Sat Jun 18, 16:00 2016

Gave you taken a look at Orijen brand cat food? It seems like they'd meet most of the qualities you're looking for.

Edit: I don't have cats, but I do have a friend who purchases this food. It seems expensive to me, but I don't have cats, so I'm not sure how much the food is supposed to cost.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Jun 20, 15:47 2016

well the food chain happens in nature anyway and I'm not sure people focus their guilt and responsibility on it.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Jun 21, 15:47 2016

My mother-in-law, while certainly not concerned about the ethics of feeding her cats, often gets some kind of scrap cuts (sometimes wild game) from a local slaughterhouse/butcher. Would it be cheaper to mince/grind the meat yourself?

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jun 21, 19:55 2016

Hm sounds like you have a harder time there finding food that's mostly animal based and sustainable than here. It is more pricey though. Second the talk to a butcher shop, might work? I sometimes get dog bones at ours (for a treat) but haven't looked for scraps for cats.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Jul 12, 5:44 2016

I third the butcher shop option. Quite often they have scraps and cuts and bones to give away at the end of the day. You can even check in at your local supermarket if they have a meat or fish counter.

Also invest in a meat mincer machine maybe for your food scraps that you can add into their food (if it's cat appropriate of course).
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Jul 15, 4:46 2016

I'd try raw food thing if I had the patience and means right now. Otherwise, I just look up good dog foods and pick a brand at petsmart or wherever.
:gf: :devil: :syringe: