Pokémon GO!

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

iamthegate

Pokémon GO!

Post by iamthegate » Sat Jul 16, 7:14 2016

FINALLY it is officially out in the Netherlands. My phone is on the older side (but does have android 5.1) so I hope it will survive until after summer when I can get a new one. I hope the server allows me to register between now and soon so I can go out and play :D :D :D

You peeps playing? What team did you choose?

rowan

Re: Pokémon GO!

Post by rowan » Sat Jul 16, 8:44 2016

I have got to level 5 yet which I guess is when you can choose a team? It often won't load for me so that's frustrating.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

pangolin

Post by pangolin » Sat Jul 16, 9:23 2016

Go team mystic
im not a f*cking armadillo

pangolin

Post by pangolin » Sat Jul 16, 9:25 2016

But no seriously for those who aren't aware, Pokemon go has nearly full access to your gmail account, meaning it can read all of your messages and even send emails. So use a fake gmail account or one you don't care about. Also, the Pikachu hack IS real AND easy to do ;)

Neko

Post by Neko » Sat Jul 16, 11:08 2016

My model of smartphone doesn't support it. But I like how it encourages exercise and brings people together (sometimes).

The only problem I have is with people who use it while driving. As in, the driver is playing it. My car was almost hit in an empty parking lot because some kid in a van was making wide turns while looking for Pokemon.

It's actually such a problem here that LED signs on the highways have safety messages like "Drive Now, Catch Pokemon Later".
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Nech

Post by Nech » Sat Jul 16, 11:15 2016

I've already walked 80k since the 7th...I might play...

It's technically not out in Canada yet but I sideloaded it and just hit level 20 last night. Lots of fun. If it's bugging for you Rowan try playing at non-peak hours, servers are under less stress. Although yesterday they were screwed because every time they release it in a new country that just happens. Stable now again though.

Iamthegate, most areas have local Facebook groups that arrange lure parties. Should definitely try to attend some they're a blast! :) I'm also surprised I didn't see a PoGo thread pop up earlier. XD
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Jul 16, 14:59 2016

I'm about to go out for a walk. I try to get one or two a day for my health. Obviously this game helps. :)

My neighborhood is a pretty good spot. I can walk outside and hit a Pokestop in seconds, and I can catch two Pokemon from my apartment. I'm within walking distance of some good spots. But wow - my wife is working in another town this week, and I went walking around the town's college campus and downtown. There were tons of people out, and in one outing I caught enough Eevees to evolve one.

I prefer collecting to fighting over gyms though. I'm at level 9, and I've only done a gym battle twice.

pangolin

Post by pangolin » Sat Jul 16, 16:04 2016

Some people have these Pokemon with crazy cp levels, so they must be using all of their spare time playing this game or must be using sufficient amounts of real cash.... It's why I tend to stay away from gyms! o.o

MFS

Post by MFS » Sat Jul 16, 16:21 2016

I just got done hiking 103 miles... I am done walking for a little while.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Jul 17, 6:59 2016

It keeps crashing for me, but it only came to Germany on Wednesday. Only level 3, still trying to level up. However I managed to catch a Squirtle on my street, then it crashed, then I hadn't caught it. Boooooo!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Sun Jul 17, 18:34 2016

This game is addicting. But I'm getting a lot of walking in! Got three 10k eggs about to hatch. Got to go to areas with lots of pokestops. The girlfriend and I have met so many positive people and taken over so many gyms. But the popular locations you are lucky if you can hold a gym for 20 minutes.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sun Jul 17, 19:21 2016

I'm at 7, I picked yellow team, I have no idea why, then I found out yellow is kinda the crap team here who loses everything.

I haven't been to a gym to battle. I don't get it.

It is fun walking around and getting stuff. There's a cute town square less than a mile from my house with like five stops right there, and there are other stops on the way. My dog loves the extra walks!

Wonder if there's some way to gamify other "good for the world" things like volunteer work? See how many non-profits you can help or something.

Guess I need to read up on what the hell I should do at a gym.

I have an iPhone 5S, usually have to load the game 2-3 times to get through and it only works if I close out of all other apps, but when it loads it's good times.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Sun Jul 17, 19:44 2016

It's soooo glitchy for me, I have iPhone 4S and apparently my otherwise perfectly functional phone is obsolete for this game. Hoping it's better optimized soon.

Anyway I started with a Pikachu and I hatched an egg today and the game is pretty cool when it's working. I just spend 5x as much time loading it as I get to play.

I joined Valor (red) because my stupid boyfriend seduced me into it. Also two of my other besties are in it and Moltres is cool and Candela is pretty etc. Was previously leaning towards Instinct (yellow).
:heart: and :spacefem:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Jul 17, 19:46 2016

Nachos wrote:
It keeps crashing for me, but it only came to Germany on Wednesday.
This has been the most frustrating part for me. I've had to restart my phone fairly frequently, and when I went for a walk today I lost connection to the servers within minutes right after I'd used a lucky egg. If this game were any less convenient (like, say, if I didn't like walks anyway), I'd have stopped by now. I hope this smooths out over time.

If anyone knows how to close/restart Pokemon Go without restarting the phone on Android, let me know!
Spacefem wrote: Wonder if there's some way to gamify other "good for the world" things like volunteer work? See how many non-profits you can help or something.
There's some work on that! If you're curious, Jane McGonigal, a game designer, wrote an excellent book on the subject: Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make us Better and How they Can Change the World. The book is six years old, but I was pretty stunned by how well it was predicting future ARGs when I read and taught the book last year. I haven't played her positive psychology game SuperBetter, but it's one of her latest attempts to make people better through games.

Nech

Post by Nech » Sun Jul 17, 22:10 2016

There's a few apps that donate to charity based on distance walked, try looking into those if you're big on hatching eggs!It's normally cents to the km but it's something!

Meperidine, it may be crashing just because the game does that a lot actually. I have a Samsung Note 4 and it goes down all the time. Also provider based (if your provider drops packets or service occasionally the game is more likely to bug out too).
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Mon Jul 18, 5:51 2016

Sonic, do you have a Galaxy? You could close the app individually by hitting the little boxes on the lower left corner of the phone...

I play when I go for my morning/evening walks, which are early/late in the day, so I don't have too many problems loading, just here and there. The park I walk in has a bunch of pokestops that I can get repeatedly on my loop around the park's pond, so I'm at level 16 and I've hatched like 40 eggs. No gym training or battles, though.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Jul 18, 6:07 2016

^ No, I have a Brigadier (one of Verizon's models), but I figured it out. I had been doing the right thing, but for some reason I thought it wasn't working (probably the server was wonky or the internet was spotty) so I went back to restarting my phone.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Jul 18, 7:28 2016

Caught a Drowzee and Porygon on my way to work today :D
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Jul 18, 16:04 2016

Ahhhhhhhh I am freaking obsessed with this game. RIP my battery. I walk to/from work, so hatching eggs has been pretty easy. I'm not sure my dog likes it, though, since we end up veering off our normal walking path to go hit up Pokestops, and then we have to stop frequently to catch Pokemon, which really confuses him.

I sent my mom a picture of my dog with a Pokemon, and she wanted to know what it was made out of and how it found my dog. Oh mom...
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

pangolin

Post by pangolin » Mon Jul 18, 16:22 2016

Oh my god... XD

MFS

Post by MFS » Mon Jul 18, 22:34 2016

most of the glitches are server-side that I've seen (still requires client to restart to get a clean connection, but the issue really isn't with your phone/app)
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

cwbyrvr

Post by cwbyrvr » Tue Jul 19, 1:06 2016

I tried to play this as soon as it came out in the US but couldn't even get through account creation the first two days so I gave up and uninstalled it. Finally installed it again and had some success last Tuesday. Have been playing when I can since, though I've been working a lot so it's mostly just on the way to/from work that I play (I ride the bus so I'm a passenger). You can hit up a surprising amount of stops while on the bus if you're quick about it.

I've had the usual issues when the servers decide to take a dump and some glitching out but it's pretty simple to restart the app on my phone.

I'm on team Valor because I asked a friend what team they were one before I joined one. I'm level 10 and edging closer to level 11. I'm off tomorrow so I'm planning on running some errands I've been putting off for too long (!!! go this game for motivating me to do it), as those things happen to be stops and gyms... also gonna hit up a nice spot of many stops and farm some poke balls because I was trying to catch an Arcanine on Sunday while the server was trying to take a shit and blew through like 35 balls before it completely glitched out and froze. Ah well. Hopefully I'll see another one soon...
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

Aum

Post by Aum » Sat Jul 23, 21:38 2016

I tried it but got bored after 1 day.

I think it's because I spent 2 years playing Diablo II, attaining a level 99 Sorceress and Amazon, and dominating Battlenet... until I realized that I had accomplished absolutely nothing in life.

I guess Pokemon Go is different because it fuses the real world with a fantasy world, and gets people interacting. So I can't totally bash it. I just can't get into it... I would rather level up my real life than pixels on a screen.

Sorry if my cynicism is judgey. Everyone I know is into this game and wonders wtf my problem is, so I'm a bit on the defensive!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Jul 23, 22:27 2016

Eh I played it for a couple days, but discovered that when I take dog for a walk, I'd rather just.... enjoy the day. Most of the time when I'm wandering around I'm like that. So I think it's cool people enjoy it and maybe someday I'll wander around campus for the heck of it, but overall I think it's not me either. I think it's different just not being into it, it's not like you're bashing it or anything.

I'll stick to Neko Atsume, I can check the cats every now and then and it takes about 1 minute to refill the bowls.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

cwbyrvr

Post by cwbyrvr » Mon Jul 25, 18:25 2016

Yeah, so my plan to play while running some errands got crapped on by the server being down. I'm having really shit luck with the game being unplayable on my days off still... yet I'm still playing and having fun with it. And I still ran those errands, just didn't play as I couldn't log in.

Only level 14 now as a result of the really terrible luck with days off and the servers, though. I can pretty much only manage to play on the bus to/from work and sometimes it won't let me in on the way to work. I'm off on Wednesday and really hoping the servers will be fine and the weather too... supposed to rain, though.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.