are you friendly to police officers?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Post by spacebot » Sun Aug 21, 2:00 2016

Aum

Re: are you friendly to police officers?

Post by Aum » Sun Aug 21, 22:37 2016

I don't talk to police officers.

So no. :)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon Aug 22, 2:57 2016

Unless they give me reason not to be, of course! But i'm also in Canada where the issues aren't quite as rampant/deadly as the States.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Aug 22, 7:30 2016

I'm cordial. That said, despite having a couple of family members who are officers, I tend to be wary whenever I see cops.

Anon201

Post by Anon201 » Sat Aug 27, 8:57 2016

I am, because I know that regardless of how terrible they are in person (for the record 90% of them aren't unless you give them lip in which case you can escalate things in a hurry, and it's going to be your own fault) they are on the frontlines of keeping murderers, thieves, rapists and other people at bay.

I would've thought a feminist forum would've known better than to ask a question like that, what with your banging on about rape and how you've adopted the state as your perpetual father and husband protector figure? I suppose when you have no friends to talk to and are very lonely, you find all kidns of topics of conversation......

PS The problem in the US is only in black communities because black people are frequently by nature uppity and refuse to accept your authority. I don't know if it's a jungle thing or what. But I saw one of those outrage videos which was titled "cop slams 14 year old girl to the ground at her birthday party" and I saw this 14 year old - I am not joking - REFUSE to lie down, follow the cops directions, and just stare blindly into space like "why is this happening to me??" in a perpetual "DINDU NUFFIN" stupor as she was REPEATEDLY told to do things by the officer who was arresting her and was being slammed into the ground forcefully to get her to comply only to get NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER. I have no idea what their problem is, but deportation would not be the worst solution by far. Clearly they're not enjoying it here - let's build them an Israel in the Congo somewhere and watch it crumble in 5 years flat. Because black communities are such success stories. Wait a minute......

PPS If in doubt, if a cop is arresting you, assume that you have no rights. None. Zilch. Assume that, and you will have zero problems I can promise you. Some black guy in a hoodie in Dallas around the time of BLM protests with a gun on his person who complied in full with the PO was let go without incident after a traffic stop and was even complimented by thee cop for not giving any lip. Seems like all you need to do is not to act like a jackass and you'll be a-OK.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Aug 27, 10:58 2016

PS The problem in the US is only in black communities because black people are frequently by nature uppity and refuse to accept your authority.
This is literally a racist statement, because it relies on claiming that supposed behavioral differences are "by nature."

It's also racist because you make the unsupported allegation that black people provoke police officers to shoot them.

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Sat Aug 27, 12:35 2016

Anon201 wrote:PS The problem in the US is only in black communities because black people are frequently by nature uppity and refuse to accept your authority. I don't know if it's a jungle thing or what.
You are clearly not here for reasonable discourse. This is purely inflammatory and, as Sonic# pointed out, explicitly racist. Come back Friday.

I'm not particularly friendly. Police make me uncomfortable, so while I tend to be civil, I'm also guarded.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Jsluvr

Post by Jsluvr » Sun Aug 28, 5:10 2016

I am friendly toward all police officers. Like anyone else in the world I have been given traffic citations; but, I'll never say that they were unwarranted. I broke some type of traffic law (speeding, failure to stop, or driving wrecklessly, etc). The police officer was doing his job when I was issued the citation.

I have had the need for and received help and aid from police officers when I was in need. Said help was offered to me in courteous manners and I believe partly due to the fact that I was raised to respect police officers. I was also raised with the concept that a police officer was my friend whenever I was in need. Police officers have a very hard job with low pay, high personal risk of bodily injury or even death, and unfortunately now a very low amount of respect shown toward them for the job that they do.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Aug 31, 14:49 2016

I'm friends with the ones I see regularly (we have security detail outside our house always because of a religious institution in the building).
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Roxygirl40

Post by Roxygirl40 » Sun Sep 4, 13:57 2016

:canada: yes mostly all the time

Nech

Post by Nech » Wed Sep 14, 4:30 2016

Roxygirl40 wrote::canada: yes mostly all the time
Yeeeeah go Canada! :D Though the cops I've met in Sudbury were pretty chill for a place like that. Big city cops can be a hassle sometimes if they get too big for their britches.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Wed Sep 14, 9:36 2016

If I'm passing them in the street I'm friendly. If I'm dealing with them in a professional capacity I'm cooly polite. But I can't say I've been particularly impressed by the police in Toronto. Mostly I just try to avoid them so I guess it's win/win.

Nech

Post by Nech » Wed Sep 14, 12:06 2016

Hey someone else from Toronto! Neat.

It's my understanding though, from when I worked/talked with the police more frequently, that the good cops often try to get away from the public interaction bit as fast as possible in Toronto because it can be so random/can't really prepare for it. While the guys who love confrontation stick around. That was awhile ago and mostly out of one division though.

There's also some severely ingrained notions that are self fulfilling prophecies in police work handed down through generations that no one seems to talk about, but should definitely be fixed. :(

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Wed Sep 14, 12:36 2016

Hello fellow Torontonian!

Oh I should say I've heard of some great outreach programs in at risk communities (Like handing out tickets for good deeds that consist of movie tickets or gift cards) which I think are fantastic. So I guess there are instances where I've been impressed with them

Nech

Post by Nech » Thu Sep 15, 13:30 2016

Taurwen wrote:Oh I should say I've heard of some great outreach programs in at risk communities (Like handing out tickets for good deeds that consist of movie tickets or gift cards) which I think are fantastic. So I guess there are instances where I've been impressed with them
I actually hadn't heard of that! That's so cool. We do have a few really good cops in our city luckily.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Wed Sep 21, 9:38 2016

I am wary of anyone who could change the trajectory of my day without my ok. Having said that, I am as nice as I can be.

Misandry_Reborn

Post by Misandry_Reborn » Fri Sep 30, 21:03 2016

Yes, every time I have interacted with the police it is usually because I have screwed up (sold a dodgy e-tick card for pensioners instead of student, or speeding). Usually it follows a simple formula where they ask you if you knew what you were doing, a warning about not doing it again and then you are on your way. I have never been issued a citation since most of the time they just issue a warning as slap that on your record.

PS. I am in a commonwealth country where the crime rate is low etc.

PSS. If you are an aboriginal person then the interaction is entirely different.
Give me a world and I will give you the stick.