What will be different about technology in 10 years?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Post by spacebot » Wed Oct 26, 2:00 2016

Nerd1987

Re: What will be different about technology in 10 years?

Post by Nerd1987 » Sat Oct 29, 21:37 2016

It would be cool to know. I could see RPG movies on virtual reality headset where you choose where the story line goes. Real actors, professionally done but with a few different possible storylines.

Sonic#

Re: What will be different about technology in 10 years?

Post by Sonic# » Sat Oct 29, 22:07 2016

I think with each new year we continue to go between two ways of thinking of technology. One is technology as automaton, as something that takes over complex processes and, so we like to pretend, makes our lives better. This can be inconvenient, like when the technology is a self-driving car who prioritizes the lives of passengers over pedestrians.

The other is technology as enhancer, as something that lets us have more control over our own lives. Self-monitoring tools like Fitbit is an example of this. The automation doesn't take something away, but widens the possibilities of what we can do.

I think both of these forms of technology - automation and enhancement - will come up. Military drones, the state of the internet, "the internet of things," software and DRM, mapping tools, internet marketing - all these are affected by how we control the way technology automates tasks, and especially what it should and should not be allowed to do.