Shampoo/Conditioner

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Nachos

Shampoo/Conditioner

Post by Nachos » Sun Apr 30, 17:31 2017

Random thought (it is also quite late and I have been around paint fumes all day)

When one buys shampoo for curly hair, is it because one has curly hair or because one wants curly hair. I have always assumed the former, but my housemate has straightish hair, but buys shampoo for curls.

IS SHE WRONG OR IS IT ME???

:gf:
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

octarineoboe

Re: Shampoo/Conditioner

Post by octarineoboe » Sun Apr 30, 17:51 2017

She's wrong. I mean maybe she has wavy hair that she straightens, or has the frizz that usually goes along with curls and so she finds the curly shampoo works for her, but shampoo for curly hair is definitely not going to give you curls. That's what curling irons are for.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon May 1, 6:05 2017

^What she said. Shampoo for curly hair is for pre-curly hair.

I grew up with straight hair that recently started getting wavy if I grow it out. Wavy in a I-now-look-like-a-witch-if-I-don't-do-anything-to-my-hair kinda way. Some hairdresser told me the products for curly hair would help define the wave. Yeah. Nope. I just ended up with I-still-look-like-a-witch-just-now-it's-more-expensive-hair style. A haircut fixed my woes.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon May 1, 9:12 2017

Yeah what other people said.

For my wavy curls though I found a product that helps, it's a leave in conditioner: http://www.target.com/p/cantu-shea-butt ... A-21407488
oh wait no I think it's this one http://www.target.com/p/cantu-coconut-c ... A-14469394
because coconut.

Took me a bit to figure out I really don't need a lot (but if you put in a lot you just smell like coconut so that's not so bad eh) but it really does great with keeping the frizz in check & not being heavy. But you have to have the curls to start it's not going to magic them there for you.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon May 1, 15:12 2017

Yep. Shampoo/conditioner won't give you curly hair. My understanding was that it's supposed to be specially formulated to add extra moisture and reduce frizz for people with curls. Or something like that.

Honestly though, I'm not really sure how much of a difference it actually makes.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Mon May 1, 18:31 2017

I just stopped shampooing for the most part, it's what really helped my hair. Although since my iron has plummeted and I've taken to using henna my curls are more wave like (thank god)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue May 2, 11:00 2017

That's what I thought! I guess the world isn't suddenly topsy turvy! She's got straight hair that gets frizzy and washed her hair every day. I wash my hair every other day because I have long straight hair and my hair is usually fine.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rinn

Post by rinn » Wed May 3, 6:59 2017

I have long wavy curly hair, and my mom has fine straight hair. when I was much younger, my mom had super curly hair, since it was the 80's and everyone got perms.

I've been noticing that my hair will be poofy/frizzy with tons of volume and curls if I don't style it at all, and blow dry it just a little bit after letting it dry naturally for a good hour or two. (sorry about my run on sentences.)

some people actually like it this way, and others have told me it looks like I just came out of the safari or something. I really don't care, since I'm single and it's less of a hassle this way XD

as far as the topic goes, perms or mousse can help people out with straight hair get curly hair. I remember my mom having no luck using hot curlers--her hair would just turn back to the way it was after only a couple hours.

Ileen Kotter

Post by Ileen Kotter » Sat May 6, 5:44 2017

Does she have thick hair? Or maybe, she really got natural hair but she just straightened it.