Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

what are you favorite museums?

Post by spacebot » Wed May 10, 2:00 2017

what are you favorite museums?

DarkOne

Re: what are you favorite museums?

Post by DarkOne » Wed May 10, 7:10 2017

I love the Museum of Natural History and the National Air and Space Museum in DC, and the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. The Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, KS is better than any museum in the middle of nowhere has any business being. And I (unexpectedly) really really enjoyed my visit to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, OH, though I don't know that I'd do that one over and over again.

My one visit to Paris was doubly disappointing: I stood right outside the Musee d'Orsay and didn't have time to go in because my party wanted to go somewhere else and I was pretending to be civil and social and a team player and all that crap. :crying: And the Catacombs were closed due to some Ventilation System issue. :crying: :crying:
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Wed May 10, 7:27 2017

I'll always have a soft spot for the Royal Ontario Museum. The museum of Civilization in Ottawa is very nice from what I recall.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed May 10, 8:31 2017

The National Air and Space Museum is my absolute favorite, even if it turned me into a weepy mess the last time I visited. (In a good way, like a pilgrimage.)

I also really like the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, just for its collections of vast amounts of objects presented together in clusters of cabinets, irrespective of origin. It's messy, entangling conventional divisions in places and histories to follow the histories of kinds of objects.

Oh, and least favorite museum? The World of Coke. I really like Coke, but I find nearly all of the experience to be vapid advertising. Only two things are interesting: a brief exhibit of some period artifacts from the 19th century, and the tasting area where I can enter a carbonated sugar frenzy. If I could directly go to the tasting area, it'd be among my favorites, even if that meant it was no longer a museum.
DarkOne wrote:
My one visit to Paris was doubly disappointing: I stood right outside the Musee d'Orsay and didn't have time to go in because my party wanted to go somewhere else and I was pretending to be civil and social and a team player and all that crap.
This is my biggest concern about traveling with other people. I think I've been fortunate, in that when I've met people while traveling we usually end up at a museum.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed May 10, 11:16 2017

Pergamon Pergamon Pergamon!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu May 11, 10:18 2017

I went to the Museum of History and Industry over the weekend, and IT'S REALLY AWESOME!! Super fascinating to learn about the history of my city and how the various industries both shaped and were shaped by events. I could have spent half a day there, there was so much to learn about.

I also really like the La Brea Tar Pits museum and the Natural History museum, both in LA.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear: