Blue Foods?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Bork

Blue Foods?

Post by Bork » Mon Jun 5, 13:37 2017

One of my coworkers asked me a confounding question in the kitchen today: Have you ever eaten blue food?

I don't think so???? I couldn't think of anything, and then I couldn't think of any food that's blue in general. Is there any naturally occurring blue food? I know blueberries exist, but honestly, those are more purple than blue.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

DarkOne

Re: Blue Foods?

Post by DarkOne » Mon Jun 5, 13:51 2017

Yeah besides blueberries... blue jello? Blue curaçao? Blue cheese? The blue stuff I'v eaten I wouldn't necessarily consider naturally occurring... or food. The "blue" foods I've eaten I wouldn't consider literally blue. Blue corn, perhaps? Your co-worker is random. :P
Last edited by DarkOne on Mon Jun 5, 15:52 2017, edited 1 time in total.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Mon Jun 5, 14:47 2017

Blue corn chips!
I've eaten blue Gatorade and blue icing. Of course neither of those is naturally blue, but they were blue when I ate them! Blue raspberry-flavored candies and Popsicles, too.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Jun 5, 15:15 2017

Bilberries, bogberries, dewberries, and crowberries can have instances of blue, generally colored similarly to blueberries. There's also juniper berries, but it's a spice or used in tea, and the color when you eat them isn't so noticeable. There are bellflowers, but again the color range can go towards violet. Some milkcap mushroom varieties have a blue-ish cast when young, before the gills are visible, and other varieties turn blue in the gills when processed (in salt brine, fried, or dried).

I've heard people claim they can't eat foods that have been colored blue because it's not a naturally occurring food color. My understanding is that naturally occurring blue occurs most often as a structural refraction as opposed to a pigment, so it's hard to come by.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Mon Jun 5, 17:27 2017

I've heard that in the last 20 years or so people's acceptance of blue foods has increased because there is more blue candy. This seems to pan out when comparing me and my friends who tend to stay away from Blue iterations of food (fuck you blue raspberry) and my sister and her friends (five years younger) who are attracted to it.

Blueberries are the closest thing I came across growing up, and they are definitely purple.

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue Jun 6, 0:02 2017

The herb woad, which is used for blue dye (indigo), is also used as a cough medicine (da qing ye) in Chinese medicine. I know that's stretching it a bit.

Anything with anthocyanins in it will have a blue pigment, like blueberries... though it may not appear blue to the naked eye.

Blue is rare in nature. In the ancient world clothing that was dyed blue was hard to come by and expensive. Same with purple. In Egypt they used crushed up beetle shells and lotus flower to make blue and only the nobles wore it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nech

Post by Nech » Wed Jun 7, 7:46 2017

For some reason, I was expecting this to be a thread about sad foods and was very curious. Now I'm just sad there isn't more blue foods. :(
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Jun 7, 10:39 2017

I had no idea that blue foods were a category that people could ask about and expect to be understood.

I was in love with blue-colored food as a kid. When blue M&Ms came out, I'd eat those first (or last). Blue Skittles or other fruit-ish items received similar treatment. Blueberries were the blueberries of berries. (They were so awesome that their awesomeness is tautological.) Blue juices, blue cheese, blue syrup, blue beer, blue tortilla, blue jello, blue ice cream - blue was the epitome of various refined foods and drinks.

Out of that list, the only ones that might count as naturally occurring are blue corn, some lavender, maybe some beans. Egg shells can end up blue, and crab or other sea/freshwater food can end up blue, at least on the outside.

I still find it fun.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Jun 8, 2:39 2017

^My uncle used to have Ameraucanas (chickens that lay colored eggs)! I don't really think of them as blue food though, since I don't know anyone who eats the blue part.

And Sonic, come to Finland in the later summer/early fall. I'll take you to a bilberry patch and you will be happy.

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Fri Jun 9, 0:01 2017

Surely there are some edible flowers which are blue? Not exactly blue food but kinda.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri Jun 9, 9:56 2017

Ooooo, I didn't think about edible flowers! I think they would probably count...
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Jun 9, 10:03 2017

I had a cocktail last night that had Suze in it. Turns out that it's a bitter flavored with gentian roots. Gentian is a blue flower (Wikipedia).

The bitterness reminded me a bit of grapefruit. I wonder if the flowers taste similar to the root-liquor.

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Sat Jun 10, 7:30 2017

I've definitely heard of people using gentian violet to treat various skin irritations and stuff.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Jun 10, 21:22 2017

I like all things blue including blue foods. Can I come to Finland too?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Jun 11, 2:11 2017

rowan wrote:I like all things blue including blue foods. Can I come to Finland too?
YES!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Jun 15, 14:03 2017

melsbells wrote:
rowan wrote:I like all things blue including blue foods. Can I come to Finland too?
YES!
SPACEFEM FIELD TRIP TO FINLAND!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.