What does your ideal bedroom look like?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

lillerina

What does your ideal bedroom look like?

Post by lillerina » Thu Jun 15, 14:01 2017

I moved into an unfurnished flat recently and have been furnishing/decorating slowly to make it how I want it. I realised that my bedroom asthetics are the precise opposite of my friend's. Her bedroom is all about dark purple walls and curtains, dark furniture, dark purple bedsheets. She wants it to look like the most luxurious purple boudoir ever. Every inch of perimeter is filled with furniture.

Mine is all about light and airy. I don't want anything oppressive or depressing in there, so I have a white bed frame, gold curtains, light coloured walls with calm, peaceful art, and a white canopy over my bed. Everything is about being really ethereal and spacious - if it's not directly related to sleeping or clothing, it doesn't belong in there. I have the rest of my house to actually live in.

So what is your bedroom asthetic? What would your ideal bedroom be like? Airy and ethereal or broody and luxurious, or somewhere in between?
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

Nachos

Re: What does your ideal bedroom look like?

Post by Nachos » Thu Jun 15, 14:05 2017

I've never had a bedroom that is just a bedroom so I really don't know! But this is interesting to think about.

My bedrooms have always been my room with all my stuff in it and living rooms is where everyone lives, with some stuff that belongs to everyone in it.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Jun 15, 14:29 2017

Windows are a must. Natural light in the daytime. Light walls - cream, white, grey, blue, all of lighter hue.

I do also like having a cramped corner full of books. But that doesn't have to be in the bedroom.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Jun 15, 15:26 2017

I just painted my bedroom a cozy green, it's fairly bright kind of like spring? Wood items are light or white. I'm going to hang art. I guess I like a bedroom with personality? My last bedroom was white and I kind of hated that. Also lots of storage. I have way too many clothes.

..my cramped corner full of books is in another room. My husband doesn't like books in the bedroom for some reason.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Fri Jun 16, 11:14 2017

My living room has most of my books, but it's a wall of bookshelves rather than a cramped corner.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Jun 19, 15:41 2017

I think my ideal bedroom changes depending on the season. Right now, coming up on midsummer, I crave darkness. I want dark walls, shades, and curtains. In the winter I need something that gets me out of bed. The only constant is a low bed, sparse furniture, and a couple self calming objects. I suppose that puts me closer to airy.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Mon Jun 19, 16:38 2017

I had a basement bedroom once that was really big, but painted dark purple and only one small (ground level) window.
I effing loved that room. It was big enough for my bed, and a couch and a big stuffed chair. If I had lived there long term I would have added more bookcases and pillows. I love pillows.

But at the time I was also waking up at 4-5am for work so a dark bedroom was really nice.

sisehtopyh

Post by sisehtopyh » Mon Jun 19, 17:59 2017

I'm not sure if my bedroom is "ideal" but I like it. I painted it a light grey-ish purple. I've got mostly white furniture. My office/desk is in the corner, but it is okay because my bedroom is huge. It has double closets (one for me and one for my husband), two windows, and a sliding glass door out to the backyard. We have blackout curtains but also sheer curtains so the room can stay dark and cool when need be (in the summer) and light and airy in the winter. The headboard has storage for books and we set up our phone chargers on there as well. I think my favorite feature is the king size bed where we do the more European style of bedding. We each have our own duvet and don't use a top sheet. So no more blanket wars, which is nice.

Now half of it is future baby's nursery, which is maybe less than ideal but for SIDS reasons the baby will sleep in our room for the first 6 months.

MFS

Post by MFS » Mon Jun 19, 21:45 2017

I've often wondered about the practicality of setting up a permanent tent in my bedroom - fitting the mattress in it would be the hard part.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie