No
27%
I'm a guy
20%

Total votes: 15

chocolatenutbar

Sexist guys

Post by chocolatenutbar » Tue Jan 21, 16:47 2003

Okay, so I'm just sitting in my math class the other day, and I hear a couple of friends of mine talking about evolution. I wasn't really paying attention for a long while, because normally everything they say is weird. But, they got onto the subject of women in evolution. They said, and I quote, "Women evolved so they could clean, cook, and take care of the kids. That's all they're good for anyways."
Then they went on to say, "And men are the only ones who evolved to be strong enough to hunt, kill, and provide. That's why there is more men than women in the world."

First of all, isn't it true that there are more women than men? Second of all, am I the only person who seems to think that nearly every guy on the planet is a complete sexist asshole? I think we need to bust out the kerosene.
-:chocolate::nut: bar-
Nobody cares what you know until they know that you care. \o/

Skalle

Post by Skalle » Tue Jan 21, 17:01 2003

Hm well, actually there is born 2 procent more males than females. Ive thought about this and ive come up with my own little theory : that back in the days males lived a more dangerous life than most women, (hunting) so more males where killed so for men not to become extinct, more males were needed, while women survived and thus not quite as many were needed.
Plus, just think about lions for example, they need prime males with the BEST genes possible and if there was just 20 males the chances of a super-male would be smaller than if there was 50 males, while all linoneses can make baby-lions meaning all lionesses are useful meaning nature doesnt need to make as many ladylions to fulfill natures purpose.

So shortly, there are more males because just 3000 years ago men died like flies (they also live a shorter time than women) and nature needs to replace that loss and does so by making 2 procent more males.

Times has changed since that and theres no longer a need for 2 procent more males but u kno, its only been that way for what, 1500 years? which is like NOTHING when it comes to changing genes and how many babies become boys and how many babies become girls and that sort of stuff.

Skalle

Re: Sexist guys

Post by Skalle » Tue Jan 21, 17:09 2003

chocolatenutbar wrote: men are the only ones who evolved to be strong enough to hunt, kill, and provide."
Mu-hah whats up with that? How sad that they need to think back at what their role was thousands of years ago to feel good. If they go down on that sleesy level, just tell them how women were just too smart to do all the dirty work themselves. Why would they, being valuable baby-makers, risk their valuable lifes when a lowly male whos only function - if not hunting - could easily be replaced by any other male, could might as well go and hunt for them?? Tah, oh and then tell them about how womens pain limit (or something, i read it somewhere here ont he boards) is NIIIIINE TIMES HIGHER than mens! Omigod, that rulez.

Seriously though, just think of them as trolls, if u get upset they have a good laugh, so just ignore it, eventually theyll grow out of that face. (And if they dont, theyll get a huge selfesteem-loss at one point in their lives when they realize that the one thing they were good for and could raise their status by - IS NO LONGER NEEDED)

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Tue Jan 21, 17:18 2003

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person on the planet who thinks guys are useless.
And I think I've figured out why they need that extra two percent... they think that more of them=more brain power, so they stopped killing each other in order to feel superior.

And yet another question, if guys are so strong and pain tolerent, why is it that they didn't evolve in such a way that they could have children?

Skalle

Post by Skalle » Tue Jan 21, 17:31 2003

Nono, its not that i think they are useless, i dont think males are above women and i dont think women are above men, its just discussion u kno. Someones gotta set the rules when u discuss, u kno, decentsy and such, and when they drag the rules down to - basicly no rules - every fact and argument is allowed, cus u kno, it IS after all all about trying to win the discussion and having FUN. (in my opinion).
And yer, they ARE cancelling all rules when doing that thing where they put themselves in the positions of the cave men thousands of years ago just to degrade women - and by doing that raising themselves - then its open WAR!! And u kno, when discussing like that it doesnt matter anymore if you PERSONALLY believe in the arguments u use (as long as they are true) then personal beliefs are to me put aside (even my belief about women not being above men) just to beat the other part, and by doing that having great fun!!!
And well, evolution cant really keep up to the human society in my opinion, i mean, look at how far women have come the last 50 years, evolution is dragging behind, if it could keep up with our speed men would be capable of having babies by now. But oh no, its dragging behind and back then, thousands of years ago, it WAS most practical to have someone do the providing and to have someone carrieing on the species.

MFS

Post by MFS » Tue Jan 21, 17:35 2003

yes. all guys are sexist. and no women are ever sexist.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

otg11791

Post by otg11791 » Tue Jan 21, 19:21 2003

Most guys are sexist in my opinion but some aren't so it's like 94% is sexiest and 6% isn't :( /:)
otgrulez

MFS

Post by MFS » Tue Jan 21, 19:59 2003

otg11791 wrote:Most guys are sexist in my opinion but some aren't so it's like 94% is sexiest and 6% isn't :( /:)
Your opinion is obviously skewed. You must not know very many men.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Tue Jan 21, 22:05 2003

there are sexist men and women, it just seems like it's easier to be a sexist man because they've got more firing power. Men are bigger and stronger, they do rule the government and most corporations, they did invent most of the technology we use today. Is this because women are inferior? No, it's just how society is set up, but if you're an uneducated moron you might say women are inferior.

Truth be known, women did evolve to have babies and men did evolve to hunt. But when was the last time these guys went out and killed dinner with their bare hands? They didn't. Because we have set up a society where our physiological traits are no longer as important as our mental ones. The technology and culture we have has replaced the need to have as many babies as possible and be really great at killing animals... it's just not needed.

What's unfortunate is that as society developed, more and more men got to chose their path in life, and women got stuck in the house for a long time. That's the big part of what launched the feminist movement. Men could be doctors or lawyers or farmers or scientists... women could be wives and mothers, just like they'd always been.

In parts of the world, men and women are still farmers and hunters and gatherers. But that's not how it is anymore. Society has made life easier and we all deserve the right to chose our place in it.

Uneducated people will always look for reasons why they are better than someone else, that's not sexism, it's just the nature of idiocy. We'll deal.

shannon

Post by shannon » Wed Jan 22, 0:06 2003

be more specific, how do you think or not think guys are sexist. just by posting a question like that which in itself promotes sexism. there are some worthwhile people of both sexes out there, you just have to weed them out. before you can make an assumption about a person's personality you have to get to know them. and you can't make a blanket statement about an entire gender, there is an exception to every rule.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. -Oscar Wilde

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Wed Jan 22, 0:54 2003

Your veiw of MEN seems kind of sexist to me, chocolatenutbar. They do carry the sperm and all, human life would literally dwindle to a nothing with all males gone. I share Skalle's beleif, both men and women are equal- now sure some men are more worthless than anyone else, but so are some women, no blanket statement can be made.

The conversation the two guys you spoke (or typed) of seems pretty stupid though.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Wed Jan 22, 5:03 2003

I'm a bloke but I think both genders should be treated equally, thing seem to be getting better at least :)
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Wed Jan 22, 7:18 2003

I'm not normally sexist like this, I'm just pissed off that anyone would say that all women are good for is cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children. Yes, it has gotten a little bit better, but it won't be good enough for me until I actually hear someone dumb like them admit that we're equal.

Skalle

Post by Skalle » Wed Jan 22, 9:09 2003

Well, then ull never be happy cus that way of having fun (provocing others) is way too popular and loved to ever get extinct.
They dont *believe* that men are above women, they just like to create that illusion for themselves, make it sound real for a moment to feel good and strong, u kno? And if u get upset by what they say - when the whole POINT for them to do it is to upset you, then your only increasing their fun and making them feel even better. In bad cases like this, you cant discuss with them cus they wont listen to logic, they dont care if they are "wrong" or "right" as long as they are being amused by you. So its kinda a lost battle to begin with, unless you ignore them completely, pretend like you didnt even hear the stuff they said, then itll be like; troll : "ahahahah ur hair is poop brown" victim of troll; "hey, julie, can i borrow a pen?" julie; "yeah sure, there u go" victim of troll; "ah thanks, btw how was the party yesterday?" julie "ooh it *starts talking*" troll; "................BAH! *turns angrily around and walks away*" hihih, or well, atleast thats MY experience with cases like this!
Unless they are seriously wanting to discuss who is better than who, then it can turn into a fun discussion, but if they smile or grin just the slightest its better to cut it off right away cus then theyve busted themselves as trolls - being amused by your anger!

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Wed Jan 22, 16:20 2003

MFS wrote:
otg11791 wrote:Most guys are sexist in my opinion but some aren't so it's like 94% is sexiest and 6% isn't :( /:)
Your opinion is obviously skewed. You must not know very many men.
Yea I agree. I think that somemen are sexist and some arent I only have met like .25 of the worlds population of men so I wouldnt kno. But i have met more guys who arent sexist than are.
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Wed Jan 22, 20:22 2003

skalle, where did you pull the whole 2 % thing from. that isnt true.

fact is, more males are conceived, but more males are misscarried as well. the true percentages are in the opposite direction. that and the fact that women live to older ages than men (generally speaking) means that there are substantially more women on the earth than there are men.

thank you very gladly.

and about the whole sexist thing.... does anyone think that the original post was sexist?
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

The Shrew

Post by The Shrew » Wed Jan 22, 20:34 2003

I agree with Spacefem. It goes both ways, but you see it more in males than females. I'm not sure why.

But this is also a stereotype that we all claim to hate so much. You cannot say a generalization like "Men are complete sexist jerks." Not all are.

Sexism is more on an individual basis than the basis of an entire sex.
I am Turc.
I am :fern:'s twin.

Virgin Crew!
:diamond: Hymens are a girls best friend :diamond:

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Wed Jan 22, 20:40 2003

i think that the first post was sexist
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Thu Jan 23, 18:34 2003

Yes it was a little bit sexist, but at least I can admit that, unlike most guys that I know. And you all seem to be very lucky to know so many guys who aren't sexist, because I've met two... my dad and my friend's boyfriend.
But, the same goes for men too about making generalizations about the other sex... you can't just say that all women are only useful for cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the children.
I apologize to any guys feelings I may have hurt in the original statement. There, is that better? Or must I beg for mercy?

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Thu Jan 23, 21:28 2003

chocolatenutbar wrote:And you all seem to be very lucky to know so many guys who aren't sexist, because I've met two... my dad and my friend's boyfriend.
i never said that i didnt know a lot of guys who werent sexist. there is a difference between what i said and what you interpreted.

lots of guys are sexist. lots of girls are sexist. but there are lots of people out there who believe in equality of the sexes.

your post was sexist because it overgeneralized groups of people based on sexist alone.
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Fri Jan 24, 5:02 2003

yes i love :jogging:... yes i do
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

Wiccychan

Post by Wiccychan » Fri Jan 24, 14:21 2003

What can oneself say? Oneself thinks that both men *and* women are sexist. However, as many have already said, there are also many that think >>Equality should Rule All<<, while others worship the opposite gender. Hmm. I would rather like to have a male slave of mine which would be my biatch and he would be under my every command and pander to my every whim. Hehe. Hmm, no, perish the thought; he'd cost too much and I think I will wait 'til I have passed my teens. Eesh.

*posh snort* Pshaw!

<<Snaps out of Too Posh Mood>>

Many men are sexist out there, and so are women. However, men often ram ideas that women are just good for housework and bringing up children, so this causes widespread sexism. My friend has a sexist dad, he always lets his son go first in all the activities, pick the best things and gets a say over all the female members of the family. He also favours his son over his two daughters. I think that he will grow up to walk around with his fly unzipped and lie on the sofa all day like his dad.
There's often widespread smatterings of sexism around the family home. People say that baby girls are *so* much more cuter than bouncing baby boys ( which isn't true, besides, if you obsess over looks *they* will obsess over looks, too), and their nappies are neater to clean up. Boys look stupid in bows and lots of ribbon, for starters.

Picture this: Enter, stage right.
James, boistrous, wavy brown hair with golden highlights, gangly limbs dangling and big luminous eyes staring out with puppylike wonder at the world.
Exit, stage left.
Enter scene: Emily, 3 years younger than her brother. Round, porcelain face; delicate flushed cheeks and fragile lips bitten to cherry redness. Ginormous grey eyes stare out from her chinadoll face; a halo of golden hair frames her small face.
Exit, stage left.

Now, their parents place restrictions on both of them according to gender. NOT fair; they prefered Emily. They treated her like a delicate piece of glass from the moment she was born, smothering her with affection. James was left to moulder in the outside of the family circle. He would always get the blame when Emily did something bad, even when he walked in at the wrong moment. No one would hear a bad word against her.
Only James and I knew what she was like.
Her parents automatically thought that as a girl, she would be delicate and sensitive; she was a tough bitch in some ways, but stupidly sensitive in others. She was also viciously cunning and clever.
They also thought that she should grow long hair. Her mother would not let Emily have more than slight trim of her fringe. Long hair was strictly feminine, short hair wasn't. Geez.
Where was James left? He was left, parched of emotion from his parents. They simply assumed he was a boy and chucked him out to fend for himself - now he has only his friends to look up to. I help him some of the time, too. He's unlike any of the boys I've ever met...
Now this is soceity playing cruel, stereotypical tricks on us. James (or Fluff, as I like to call him. It's un-macho and sad, but hey, so's he...) has developed a tougher shell because of his friends, while Emily swans about, knowing she is prized because she is female. It's nice in a certain limelight, but also unfair, because James hasn't grown up to be an all swearing, crude pervert, he's shy and quiet, but once you peel that cover off, he is vivacious and fiercely witty.
Makes you think.

\\>WiccanWitch :foot:
"Did you just throw your breast at me?"
"No. Why, do you want me to?"

Skalle

Post by Skalle » Fri Jan 24, 15:14 2003

[quote="angry-amy"]skalle, where did you pull the whole 2 % thing from. that isnt true.quote]

yeah? Well, then the magazine i read it in (Illustrated Sience when translated to English) has lied to me.
Im pretty sure i remember correctly, although ofcourse there is always the chance that i remember uncorrectly or read it the wrong way, didnt get the real meaning of it, but in this case im pretty sure, like 94 procent sure. :hrm: Unless you have some other source to back up 2 procent more males being born isnt true, then ill retract my statement, but, yeah, im pretty sure im right. :hrm:

snarfism

Post by snarfism » Wed Jan 29, 16:59 2003

Tweek wrote:I'm a bloke but I think both genders should be treated equally, thing seem to be getting better at least :)
yes, i agree
-but still, for all those idiotic men (hey, what the heck the women, too)- :boot: :kerosene: :fire:
does legolas squat in the woods?