Do you think that it science makes somethin, it can kill it?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

should scientists kill the clone?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 3, 2:39 2003

yes
No votes
no
63%
have no opinion
38%

Total votes: 8

Phoebe786

Do you think that it science makes somethin, it can kill it?

Post by Phoebe786 » Sat Feb 1, 2:39 2003

I lova science, but they made a human clone, did they think how it could effect that little boy or girl in the future having no parents, and having to live just like that, wiht no meaning? What if they did somthing wrong, they can't just kill him/her, he/she will be a living breathing human being. its like murder. I strongly believe that scientist should think ahead about the futrure of there experiments. and not just about the rest of the people. even so what if the clone has a new virus that could wipe out the whole world? whos fault would that be? would they kill all the people infected?
I know you guys might not care but I really do and I wanted to talk bout it thanx for listeniing. byebye. :stickman: :foot: :foot: :foot: :foot:
!@#$%^&*goody*&^%$#@!

Phoebe786

Post by Phoebe786 » Sat Feb 1, 2:51 2003

PLEASE COME AND READ IT!!!!!
!@#$%^&*goody*&^%$#@!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Feb 1, 2:55 2003

I doubt whilst creating the clone they created a virus, let alone one that could kill off the entire human population. And why can't they kill the clone if te wants to be killed?? I'm not saying clones shouldn't have rights, he's just as human as you or I, but if a human wants to die let tem die damnit!! Sorry, I am very oppsed to this whole "Human no kill!!" attitude everyone has when we do it to animals every day- but on topic. I see nothing wrong with cloning humans, although I don't really see the point of it, you can't just adopt?? But anyway. Think about it this way: if the baby really is a clone, te gets to be a part of history at birth- te gets to tell tes kids and grandkids "Yep, I was the first one ever". I think that's special, but some people might disagree. Also, what do you mean, "with no meaning", why can't te have meaning?? It's a person, a living being, and te's life is whatever te makes of it. And te HAS parents- maybe not in the literal sense, if te is a true clone, but te has parents in the sense that te has people to love tem and take care of tem when te needs it, and that's what really matters, right??

(PS- every "te" and "tem" and the like in this post were NOT typos, I did that on purpose, it's a non-gender specific pronoun I made up, just so you don't get annoyed at my "typos")
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Feb 1, 2:56 2003

Phoebe786 wrote:PLEASE COME AND READ IT!!!!!
Sorry, I was typing, lol. I type kinda slow. Just have patience with me...
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

breezychanhassen

Post by breezychanhassen » Sat Feb 1, 7:41 2003

I think cloning can be useful. For example if a mother has a stillborn baby then they might clone it. Or we can ressurect the dead by cloning them. But the idea is just a little to creepy for me. I kinda need to think about this....
Some people are like slinkies...good for nothing but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs..... (X c X)

The Shrew

Post by The Shrew » Sat Feb 1, 11:53 2003

I think cloning is a way for scientists to show off how much they've learned.

I think cloning is wrong and unnatural.
I am Turc.
I am :fern:'s twin.

Virgin Crew!
:diamond: Hymens are a girls best friend :diamond:

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Sat Feb 1, 13:58 2003

they shouldnt kill the clone but they shouldnt really clone anymore. its werid and sorta scary.
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

Turc

Post by Turc » Sat Feb 1, 15:21 2003

The Shrew wrote:I think cloning is a way for scientists to show off how much they've learned.

Agreed. I also agree with cheezygoodness- they shouldn't kill the clone. But no one should ever do it again.

Also, I have to disagree with breezychanhassen- I think that using cloning to resurrect dead people is veeeeeery wrong. That would be overused and very very dangerous. Not a good idea.
...still crazy, after all these years. : )

Tuna

Post by Tuna » Sat Feb 1, 16:22 2003

It seems in some ways people think that when they clone something, they'll be just the same as the "original" person, personality-wise. the clone most likely won't think at all like the original, so what really is the point? what does it matter what a clone looks like, they'll be a completly different person. unless scientists have a way of transferring all the original's thoughts, memories, and attitude into the clone, then I say what's the point?

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Sat Feb 1, 17:21 2003

Turc wrote:
The Shrew wrote:I think cloning is a way for scientists to show off how much they've learned.

Agreed. I also agree with cheezygoodness- they shouldn't kill the clone. But no one should ever do it again.

Also, I have to disagree with breezychanhassen- I think that using cloning to resurrect dead people is veeeeeery wrong. That would be overused and very very dangerous. Not a good idea.
yea if mad scientist types firgured out how to do it they could resurrect hitler or somebody. bad bad bad.

skeptic320

Post by skeptic320 » Sat Feb 1, 17:41 2003

You can't clone a dead person. You need living DNA. And the odds of finding a complete genome from someone who's been dead for years are slim to nil.
As for cloning for reproductive purposes - the planet already had six fucking billion people on it! We don't need help to breed. If you can't have kids, I'm sorry, but them's the breaks. Adopt. Lots of children need homes before we can start making copies of people who already exist.
BTW, have you guys all heard about the Raelians - the nutbars who claimed they cloned a woman? They're refusing DNA tests on the baby. Something is rotten in the state of Clonaid.
Beyond the suns that guard this roof, beyond your flowers of flaming truths
Beyond your latest ad campaigns
An old man sits collecting stamps, in a room all filled with Chinese lamps
He saves what others throw away, he says that he'll be rich someday.
~Cake

chicken_burger

mmmmmmm

Post by chicken_burger » Sat Feb 1, 17:51 2003

IMO people only clone others because they are afraid of death and want some way to stay alive forever. sometimes people have to die, that's how the world works and everyone just needs to accept it.
I like cheese

KT

MFS

Post by MFS » Sat Feb 1, 21:07 2003

ahem...

To make a clone of a person, it must still be born, so it will at least have a mother, even it the mother's DNA is not contained in the "clone". Personally, I don't think anyone's made a human clone yet. No one has been either able, or willing, to publicly back up their claims.

Cloing is a stupid idea because DNA wants to randomize. To make an exact replicate of something, well, that goes against nature, and odds are, it will be futile, as the DNA will be the same, but the person will be completely different.

Brings up that whole nature vs. nurture debate.

And please, don't blame "scientists"... that's a weeee-bit broad. Seeing as how I'm a scientist, yet I don't go around cloning things thank-you-very-much.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

zoe.

Post by zoe. » Sat Feb 1, 21:13 2003

cloning just kinda freaks me out. like there could be another Zoe walking around if someone got hold of my DNA. and that just makes me shudder.
i'm not all that cool. but i hope i will be someday.

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Sat Feb 1, 21:16 2003

cloning is doubling someone which is taking all of their traits and putting it into somebody else. everything about them is that other person its like stealing someone's identity. not right.

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Sat Feb 1, 21:18 2003

cheezygoodness wrote:cloning is doubling someone which is taking all of their traits and putting it into somebody else. everything about them is that other person its like stealing someone's identity. not right.
You've got it wrong. It's reproducing that person's genes, there is nothing to say that personality will be the same, other than physical traits. Our genetic make-up has something to do with who we are, but environment has a lot of impact on it too.
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Sun Feb 2, 8:01 2003

will yea but what if the clone was like evil or something and then it stole your identity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MFS

Post by MFS » Sun Feb 2, 13:27 2003

cheezygoodness wrote:will yea but what if the clone was like evil or something and then it stole your identity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah...

a clone of you would be born now... thus it would be rather younger than you.

get a grip

Turc

Post by Turc » Sun Feb 2, 16:27 2003

zoe. wrote:cloning just kinda freaks me out. like there could be another Zoe walking around if someone got hold of my DNA. and that just makes me shudder.
I don't think the world could handle another Turc.

The thought gives me goosebumps.

And a replicate of my brother, well, 'nuff said.
...still crazy, after all these years. : )

xenolai

Post by xenolai » Sun Feb 2, 16:31 2003

I personally believe that cloning is wrong, but if they make a human clone, it would be wrong to kill it, because technically it is a human being, and that would be murder.
It's sunny with a high of 75
Since you took my heavy heart and made it light
And it's funny how you find you enjoy your life
When you're happy to be alive

Relient K, "High of 75"

eap05

Post by eap05 » Sun Feb 2, 17:01 2003

Last edited by eap05 on Sun Feb 2, 17:41 2003, edited 2 times in total.

MFS

Post by MFS » Sun Feb 2, 17:17 2003

eap03 wrote:Ive read that for lots an lots of money you can have our pets cloned. But then theres the downside. The clone will not nesisarly look the same or ba any thing at all simmalar persinality wise. Mayby thats just animals but we are kinda the same so it is probly the same for humans.
well, considering that I already said that...

eap05

Post by eap05 » Sun Feb 2, 17:40 2003

MFS wrote:
eap03 wrote:Ive read that for lots an lots of money you can have our pets cloned. But then theres the downside. The clone will not nesisarly look the same or ba any thing at all simmalar persinality wise. Mayby thats just animals but we are kinda the same so it is probly the same for humans.
well, considering that I already said that...
sory i didnt read all the post i just read a few. Ill delte it.