LinkedIn

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

rowan

LinkedIn

Post by rowan » Thu Mar 23, 20:29 2017

This is ridonkulous but seriously I cannot figure out how to make a good linked in profile. Anyone want to give me pointers or tips? I feel like this is one platform that I'm just not getting. Which ... is weird? Like I think this should not be hard? But there are things I want to apply for and I think it might be good to update it and not be sucky.

Do I just put all my awesomeness in the summary? Why is this so weird?!?!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

DarkOne

Re: LinkedIn

Post by DarkOne » Mon Mar 27, 11:10 2017

Well, from the frenzied activity on this thread I'm going to guess many of us are Dungeon Master Level 0 at this... At least I am.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Nech

Post by Nech » Tue Mar 28, 6:50 2017

Wait I swear we had like...a ton of comments in this thread. Or is this a separate LinkedIn thread?
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Mar 28, 7:34 2017

Nech wrote:Wait I swear we had like...a ton of comments in this thread. Or is this a separate LinkedIn thread?
Huh, yeah, I guess there was one back in December... but there's a lot of head scratching going on in that thread too... Not a whole lot of advice.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 28, 8:47 2017

haha I totally forgot about that. I'll try to figure out how to merge them later or something.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Mar 28, 12:05 2017

I basically put my CV in there and a way to contact me and then.... left it.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

sadsmile123

Post by sadsmile123 » Wed Mar 29, 6:23 2017

Can you find any colleagues on it? Quantity and quality of relations are key. Have you gained experience in a previous or in your current job/apprenticeship/study that may look good for someone who may want to hire you? A possible employer will judge you based on your qualifications. Maybe you have attended special courses. You may have certificates. Are your employers open-minded people or very strict about everything? Try to adapt to necessities. Be forthcoming. Good luck!

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Mar 29, 9:19 2017

All good but fairly nebulous advice I think. Courses in the summary or somewhere else?

Are certificates under skills or something? I don't have any particular things but I suppose some people particularly in IT would.
sadsmile123 wrote:Are your employers open-minded people or very strict about everything? Try to adapt to necessities. Be forthcoming.
I'm not sure what you mean by these, could you clarify? I will admit it's a little ... difficult ... to ask for recs from my current employers in since I don't really want them to know I'm looking.

sadsmile123

Post by sadsmile123 » Thu Mar 30, 5:40 2017

Rowan, if you already have a job, and I see from your Spacefem profile (sorry for watching! ^^' ) that you teach college students, which I suppose you are perfectly happy with, then I guess the main aim of your LinkedIn profile is not to attract employers, but to present yourself in a more general fashion. College students, colleagues, or, depending on your publications, researchers may find your profile and look for a general view on who you are and what you do.
I agree that it is indeed nebulous advice, but I think I would not add a whole post on where to find what on LinkedIn. if I understand you correctly, you don't know where to insert certain kinds of information. If I were you, I would try searching for more concrete advice on Google and Youtube (search something like "how to Linkedin profile"), so that you can have a visual introduction to it.

If you are already acquainted with the whole LinkedIn system and you just wish for special advice in order to make your page look smarter, why not look into the profiles of other people with your or a similar job, maybe from a different college. Send requests to people you may already know. If you don't want other people to see that you have seen their profiles, I suppose you can use a private browser. I haven't done that myself yet, but I suppose it can spare embarrassing moments.

With "special courses" and "certificates", I meant actual courses you have visited. they may be on soft skills or relating to astrophysics.People normally put their knowledge on how to use "Microsoft Word". I have attended at university, for example, courses on "diversity management", "time management", "effective writing" in addition to various courses on languages, some with a certificate at the end, some without. Maybe something similar comes to mind to you. there should be an entry on your profile page that mentions skills and where you can name them.

Good luck!

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Mar 31, 9:35 2017

Yeah I keep talking about leaving academia and then never actually doing it. The sections on work history, skills, etc are ones I think I've got pretty good. I'm just mostly not sure what to put in the summary so that people might be interested in hiring me away from academia.

I don't think LinkedIn is especially used for academic jobs, we have other things those tend to be through.

(don't worry about looking at the profile here, that's what they're for)

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Mar 31, 15:17 2017

As part of my tutoring I moonlight in advising people on career prep, and this leads me to read resources so that I can be an expert communicator who knows something about the genre.

So: resource: https://www.themuse.com/advice/5-templa ... y-a-breeze

The article gives 5 templates for writing a good LinkedIn summary. The templates aren't that exacting; I find them good for thinking about the rhetorical approach, which seems to be a couple of paragraphs of general branding: who are you? what do you do? I think here it's easy to get bogged down in job titles. If you like your current line of work, it's affirmational, and it would be about your education. As you're making this non-ac-facing, this will be aspirational, pointing that experience ahead. It doesn't have to be profound, but it should say something specific about you. I'm willing to dig up more resources if you like.

Here's the first paragraph I wrote based on one of the formulas:
I bring clients advice and solutions to the communication problems they have. Through workshops and one-on-one consultations, I help people put their best self forward so that they can get their next job interview, pull off an amazing presentation, or disseminate their research to the public.

If you’d like to learn more about how my services can help your company, please reach out via email (janedoe@gmail.com).