Shitty Air Quality

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Bork

Shitty Air Quality

Post by Bork » Wed Aug 2, 14:53 2017

Our air quality is super shit right now. I live in the PacNW, and smoke from fires in BC is blowing down and majorly fucking up our air*. It's super hazy and gross outside. There are mountains that are usually very clearly visible from my office window, and I can't see them at all today. I want my nice view back!! It reminds me a lot of growing up in LA with all the smog and terrible visibility. Apparently, visibility is so bad that it's causing delays at the airport. I went outside to get lunch, and everything outside smells vaguely like campfire, which kind of makes me crave s'mores.

I. Am. DYING. Seriously, my lungs are about ready to hand in a resignation letter and flee. I'm a wheezing, coughing disaster and my lungs are kind of sore. My throat is going to start hurting soon too, from having to clear it every five seconds. This is not fun. I took Monday off work because I had a headache (unrelated), and if I hadn't done that I would seriously consider taking tomorrow off too since I walk to and from work.

Somewhat on the plus side, we were supposed to have insanely hot (like, record breaking) temperatures this week, but the smoke is ever so slightly helping out with that.

*their air is probably much, much worse, though
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Re: Shitty Air Quality

Post by rowan » Thu Aug 3, 14:14 2017

Good luck, it looks awful and gross and hot and awful.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Amuro

Post by Amuro » Thu Aug 3, 16:07 2017

You need to buy an air pollution mask it'll make you feel much better. When I lived on Shijiazhuang I went through several packs a month. If I didn't wear them in the winter my throat and nose would burn after less than ten minutes of walking outside.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 3, 17:13 2017

Ugh that sucks. I hear that in Vancouver they're advising that people should try and stay indoors for the next three days.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Aug 4, 9:33 2017

Amuro wrote:
Thu Aug 3, 16:07 2017
You need to buy an air pollution mask it'll make you feel much better.
You should do this, I hear the particulates are really awful. :(

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Aug 4, 9:51 2017

We had forest fires near here last year, and between the haze, the constant smell of smoke, and the coughing it was horrible.

Use a mask or whatever you need. Whew.

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Aug 8, 10:49 2017

Everything is still super smoky here. In addition, we're now setting a record for the number of days without rain, so that's also super fun. I woke up last night because I was having a hard time breathing, which hasn't happened in a few years. This fucking SUCKS. I had to skip my gym class yesterday because I was too wheezy after walking home from work. I just want to breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeathe. The air quality website says we may see the AQI (air quality index) at "unhealthy" until Friday. FRIDAY. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 8, 11:00 2017

gross. :(

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Aug 8, 13:13 2017

I'm sorry, Bork. When I lived closer to the eastern border, I could see the smoke and smell the forest fires in Russia, but conditions were never what you're experiencing. I hope your lungs get relief soon.

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue Aug 8, 13:45 2017

The air quality has triggered my auto-immune condition, after a really good year of no health issues.

I am pissed.

Today I'm buying an indoor air filter, assuming they're not sold out. At least I can breathe when I'm at home.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Aug 8, 16:12 2017

^^I was wondering how you were faring, Aum. Really sorry to hear about that, hopefully you can find an air filter.

Aum

Post by Aum » Wed Aug 9, 12:58 2017

I found one but it may be too late.

When humans breathe in all this soot mixed with city air pollution, they cough it up and swallow it, and it enters their general circulation. So it's not just harming their lungs but the rest of their bodies.

I got a decent air filter. I don't have AC so I need to open my windows in the day but I at least put it on at night so I can breathe better.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

sufiMYSTIC

Post by sufiMYSTIC » Fri Aug 11, 20:59 2017

I'm so sorry! I currently live in LA, and I wondered why a couple/few days ago I started feeling sick. And I didn't think it was because I was going from cold AC to HOT house everyday, like normal. I've been a little raspy. Eucalyptus essential oil could possibly help everyone to breathe as well.
I am not a licensed health care practitioner, but rather have deep life experience with nutrition and natural, wholistic health. That's why I mentioned. I know a lot of singers who use a, what is it called , it's a scarf with a mask, disguised as a scarf. But that might be in NYC where it's colder.
I'm super sensitive though. To like everything usually. So, it's most likely the smoke I've been getting, NOT just the smog. Thanks so much for the heads up.
Plus, we just had an earthquake east of LA a few days ago too. Hm....wonder the link? ;)
There has been incredible geothermal activity if anyone has noticed the last month. So.....and not to speak of the weird storms and oceanic atmospheric conditions. It's all coming to an end!!!! The end is NIgh!!!
Haha. I'm joking. Probably just turbulence. But, I don't know that. I'm not privy as a human. :)
“People say that the soul, on hearing the song of creation, entered the body, but in reality the soul itself was the song.”
Hafiz (1320-1390)

:snow: :spacefem: :snow: