Feminist Queer Writer

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

susieq244

Feminist Queer Writer

Post by susieq244 » Sat Jul 29, 3:24 2017

Hello!! My name is Susan and I am a 21 year old Media and English student from Dublin, Ireland.

I love writing, blogging and activism. I run a blog in which I discuss Feminism, LGBTQ related issues and Mental Health Awareness.

I am a sun Gemini Leo rising and I identify as a cis bisexual woman. I use she/her pronouns

I joined the forum to learn. I never claim to know everything about feminism even though I have identified as a feminist ever since I first heard the word being used by my mother. I'm open to be educated, to ask questions and to share my own views on anything from abortion rights to the pink tax and everything in between.

I'm so excited to be here.
♡ FEMINIST GOODIES GIVEAWAY ♡ - Books, Shirt, Pins and Sticker. Click here for info:
https://susancolgan.blog/2017/08/03/%E2 ... %E2%99%A1/

rowan

Re: Feminist Queer Writer

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 1, 8:54 2017

Welcome! I visited Dublin several years ago and liked it.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Aug 1, 9:49 2017

Welcome Susan!

I also don't know everything about feminism. What's one thing you learned about or encountered recently regarding feminism?

susieq244

Post by susieq244 » Tue Aug 1, 13:53 2017

Sonic# wrote:
Tue Aug 1, 9:49 2017
Welcome Susan!

I also don't know everything about feminism. What's one thing you learned about or encountered recently regarding feminism?
Sorry I am just getting back to this now.

I would say, I need to work more on being inter-sectional. I wrote a post on reddit the other day listing some of my modern female icons and a WOC commented that my list was very light on black women. I agreed with her and told her that I would be mindful of that and I thanked her for her (polite) criticism. As a white woman, I do find myself often looking up to other white women, not recognizing the WOC who are currently trailblazing for feminism.

I've learned that I do not need to get defensive when somebody comments on the 'whiteness' of my feminism or reply with things like 'I'm not racist, you don't know me' or whatever. I need to accept this kind of criticism and be open to learning. This woman on reddit new my intentions were good and was not in any way calling me a racist, I'm glad I am able to tell the difference now. I'm also glad that my eyes were opened to how sub-consciously biased I was being. It's something I will be more aware of in the future.
♡ FEMINIST GOODIES GIVEAWAY ♡ - Books, Shirt, Pins and Sticker. Click here for info:

susieq244

Post by susieq244 » Tue Aug 1, 13:54 2017

rowan wrote:
Tue Aug 1, 8:54 2017
Welcome! I visited Dublin several years ago and liked it.
I'm glad you liked it! I honestly love Dublin. I could never see myself moving from Dublin permanently. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Wed Aug 9, 8:31 2017

@suseiq244.

I'm impressed with your ability to self reflect, take non insulting criticism productively, and establish a realistic view of others outside your own threshold.

Especially when it comes to color a lot of people use their own life to determine what is or what isn't and you simply cannot understand going about it that way. You first have to acknowledge that you dont have full knowledge and be willing to listen and learn. I think you knocked that out of the park so to speak compared to most.

Racial bias is frontline and center right in front of everyone but the fact is everyone has gotten used to it. Most not involved dont care or already have an opinion while knowing very little truth.

If you would like any input from a black males perspective. Feel free to join me anytime or join me in the hell thread Im non feminist by the way but, like you I came to learn more about feminism.

I really do like to discuss the current state of affairs when it comes to race but I dont go around making topics unless an interest is shown to actually discuss the issue without bias. Feel free to make a topic in hell or private message me if your interested in possibly learning a perspective.

Again I applaud your efforts.