How on earth do you keep track of your passwords???

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

DarkOne

How on earth do you keep track of your passwords???

Post by DarkOne » Wed Aug 16, 5:28 2017

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHH I have terrible memory and I can't keep track of my passwords to save my life... I used to have a system, a simple mental algorithm to generate passwords. Then someone decided we needed capital letters and numbers in the password.... um, OK. Then someone imposed a minimum password length... Then some other asswipe decided my password needed a @#$!& special character... and then my algorithm went to hell, because I had some passwords I hadn't changed in forever so were numberless and/or short, and some that had all the required BS... And I'm SUPER looking forward to yet another change in password protocol where I expect the password will need to be something like 20 characters minimum....

SO I've resorted to a coded cheat sheet. I write shit down in a spreadsheet, but what's there is either a variation of the actual password or a way figure out the actual password. This becomes even more fun when I'm sharing accounts with hubby. So HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR PASSWORDS? Write them down? Coded cheat-sheet? Password managing software/apps? Reset your damned passwords every time you log in??? ARGH so fed up having to figure out my own puzzles, or have to change passwords because I don't have access to my cheat sheet...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

melsbells

Re: How on earth do you keep track of your passwords???

Post by melsbells » Wed Aug 16, 6:14 2017

Uugh, I locked myself out of my on-line U.S. bank account last week because I forgot my password. Just got set back up today.

You've probably seen this xkcd, but it seems pertinent here.
This NPR article from a couple days ago seems to suggest that the new standards about to be thrown at you are following that advice.
Now the National Institute of Standards and Technology is about to make all of our lives much easier. The organization recently revised its guidelines for creating passwords, and the new advice sharply diverges from previous rules.

"The traditional guidance is actually producing passwords that are easy for bad guys and hard for legitimate users," says Paul Grassi, senior standards and technology adviser at NIST, who led the new revision of guidelines.

The organization suggests keeping passwords simple, long and memorable. Phrases, lowercase letters and typical English words work well, Grassi tells NPR's Audie Cornish. Experts no longer suggest special characters and a mix of lower and uppercase letters. And passwords never need to expire.

"We focus on the cognitive side of this, which is what tools can users use to remember these things?" Grassi says. "So if you can picture it in your head, and no one else could, that's a good password."
You may be on to something with the next change in protocol being a 20 character minimum.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Aug 16, 6:34 2017

Yes, I've heard a few pieces on NPR about the passwords.... I'm wondering how long it will take for companies to implement, and will they grandfather in old passwords so that I still have an obnoxious jumble of weird characters, and will I finally be done with rolling over the last number in the password? :kill:
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Aug 17, 13:39 2017

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH passwords. I am terrible. I have three main passwords that I use for everything, but I'll change whether letters are capitalized or use numbers or other characters within those passwords depending on the requirements of the particular system.

There's this one system that we use for work, and it has the most ridiculously complicated list of requirements. I can never ever ever remember my password, especially since it's a system I use very rarely. I've had to reset my password every single time I've used it so far. The most recent time, though, I wrote my password down on a sticky note because I'm seriously running out of ideas - new password can't be the same as any of the past 24 passwords. TWENTY FOUR. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT??? Now we'll just have to see if I use the system again before my password expires.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 15:01 2017

Mostly I forget them and then need to go to elaborate lengths to break into my own account.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Aug 18, 4:14 2017

Bork wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 13:39 2017
TWENTY FOUR. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT???
My work password can't be any of my last 20 passwords... I'm sure there's someone who changes their password at every change request, but every single person I've griped abut this to has admitted they just keep the same password and roll the number at the end... beats the point, doesn't it?

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Aug 18, 8:06 2017

I roll the number at the end of my work password too lol

I have a password method. They are all unique, but a variation of my one password. An old friend of mine in It told me basically everyone uses the same password, the trick is to add a couple characters at the end to make sure if someone gets your Facebook password they don't automatically know your banking password.
My e-mail password is the most unique as if anyone steals it they then can reset anything else, so it behooves me to make it the hardest to guess.

A lot of people I know use a variation of their name and their high school student number, which I think is kinda interesting.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Aug 18, 9:34 2017

I have a password method and a series of mnemonics that I can't really talk about. And I have a lot of passwords; the ones I use less I do have written down and kept in a secure place.

This is not my password method:

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Aug 18, 11:05 2017

Honestly I have a method but the sites always break it so I often lock myself out anyway. I used the StaplerHorse thing for a while, I should go back to that. What irritates me most though is I forget all the things like what special characters are allowed/not allowed/oh and this site has to be 8 chars but less than 12 chars or blah blah blah. And they never tell you until you're already re-setting your password.

I also make up random characters for the security question answers. I'm sure anyone could figure out my mother's maiden name but you're not going to figure out what my random generator told me to put that day. :P
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon Aug 21, 7:19 2017

I find logging into super old accounts the worst. I sit there for 5 minutes thinking "Okay when I made this, was I using numbers and symbols at the end or did I not have to do that yet? Was I using caps? L33t speak? Was I combining all 3 yet? Which password was I using the year I signed up for this..." and so on and on and on. I can see why some employees would jump at being micro chipped if it means no more stupid work passwords. Last time I worked in an office you had to change your password monthly and it couldn't be a password you've ever used before. It would also force you to reset super quickly. Let's just say knowing the number of the months was very important at that job...
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Aug 31, 9:51 2017

Bork wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 13:39 2017
There's this one system that we use for work, and it has the most ridiculously complicated list of requirements. I can never ever ever remember my password, especially since it's a system I use very rarely. I've had to reset my password every single time I've used it so far. The most recent time, though, I wrote my password down on a sticky note because I'm seriously running out of ideas - new password can't be the same as any of the past 24 passwords. TWENTY FOUR. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT??? Now we'll just have to see if I use the system again before my password expires.
DAMN. IT. ALL. We just updated some stuff at work, and now I have to use this stupid login system for something I use every freaking day. I guess on the plus side, I'll maybe remember the password better?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Sep 2, 12:50 2017

I will say that making password requirements overly complex demonstrably makes things less secure since people do things like this:
DarkOne wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 4:14 2017
they just keep the same password and roll the number at the end... beats the point, doesn't it?
Like there are actual white papers out there that talk about this type of thing happening when you make things too hard.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

dorkorama

Post by dorkorama » Tue Oct 3, 16:33 2017

I have two systems.
1) My work computer comes with KeePass, which I believe is free software with a master password that keeps track of all your other passwords. But I only use it for a few passwords since it's a work computer, and could be theoretically taken at any time (there were layoffs this year and I saw how that worked). For MOST of my passwords, though, I use the most stupid system one could possibly use...
2) I am ashamed to admit that I have a folder in my email with most of my usernames and passwords. I know, I know this is dumb. I am a bad hoomin. But it has worked for me up to this point (8 years running) and I haven't implemented a better system that I can access as easily at any point.

My brother recommended a system where there is a 'main' password, but you include the first letter of the website, bank, etc in front of that password. Seems smart, but it would throw a wrench into the system I already use, which is having one main password and 2-3 variations therein to meet length, numeric requirements. Again, I am not the best with these things but I try to get by.