Superstions

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Patterby

Superstions

Post by Patterby » Fri Feb 2, 15:26 2018

I don't mean to offend anyone as an unforseen consequence of this statement, but Groundhogs day is a terribly...stupid tradition based on old baseless superstition. And yet it's still a big deal for some people. Big enough to have a named groundhog in Pennsylvania (it's name is very complicated and I don't feel like typing it over) who they use to confirm more winter or not.

Which also confuses me. Would that be more winter in that town? That state? The country? Continent? Planet???
"I was busy being two awesome things at once" ♀♂

melsbells

Re: Superstions

Post by melsbells » Fri Feb 2, 15:41 2018

I used to suppose that "6 more weeks of winter" versus "Spring is on it's way" was really a definitive end to winter versus a promise that winter will eventually subside into spring.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Feb 2, 17:05 2018

Using Punxsutawney Phil to forecast winter duration is positively scientific methodology compared to what is accepted these days in lieu of science by the US government.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 2, 17:11 2018

I was just having this conversation with some co-workers today. It really is a weird little ritual to have lasted so long and be so widespread. That said I really don't think anyone is truely believing that groundhogs predict the future. Melsbels's explanation is the best I've heard yet.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Feb 2, 17:41 2018

It's a spectacle. A ritual. A carnival. I don't literally believe a rodent has the power to precisely predict the weather, but it's a fun die roll.

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Fri Feb 2, 20:12 2018

Idk weather reports serve me rather well. But yeah all good explanations. It still boggles me.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Feb 2, 21:44 2018

Do other superstitions bother you? Not walking under a ladder, or opening an umbrella inside. Or not killing a spider. Avoiding black cats. Or is it only rodent based superstition?

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Sat Feb 3, 13:38 2018

Never believed in the groundhog. Movie curse had me more than the superstition.

Other superstiton
Knock on wood

I have started saying it and I dont know why. Im part of the problem now.

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Sun Feb 4, 9:59 2018

Other ones don't have an entire day for them. But no they don't bother me as much. Except repost or _ happens to you/and _ happens to you. I even see Christian ones, bringing faith to borderline suuuuuperstition. All I can say is "you know someone made that for the reposts or retweets. A person. That you don't know most likely."

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 4, 10:37 2018

I think the groundhog is about 36% accurate, and the almanac is about 50% (so a coin toss) so basically whatever the opposite of the groundhog says is more likely lol.

I mean seriously it just depends what the airmass is above PA that day whether or not he'll see his shadow. I saw some ridiculous claims about the fact that it's ~halfway between the solstice and equinox (true) but that meant that it's when the sheep were giving birth which is baloney. (I mean now our selected super domesticated ones will be, but not the ones people used to have because you don't give birth when there's no fricking food for mama sheep) Anyway it's totally a mis-translation of the Celtic language to say that.

anyway we got 5" of snow yesterday. I think this winter is shaping up to be a normal-ish winter for once (apart from the weirdly above 40 days in January). It rained by my parents though in January wtf.

</random thoughts on the weather>
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Tue Feb 6, 11:54 2018

I just realized I misspelled superstitions...