Worst Part of Job Hunting

poll all you want! we love polls!

Moderators: Tweek, Meperidine

What's your least favorite aspect of job hunting?

Tailoring your resume
9%
Filling out applications
13%
Searching job sites
6%
Phone interviews
9%
In-person interviews
9%
Having to put on pants for an in-person interview
9%
Providing references
16%
Post-interview thank yous
6%
Never hearing back from people
19%
Pants
No votes
Other, please elaborate
3%

Total votes: 32

Bork

Worst Part of Job Hunting

Post by Bork » Thu Mar 22, 17:25 2018

Since a few of us seem to be in the search of jobs...

Aside from having to make a decision if/when I'm offered a job, I think my least favorite part is the references part, followed very closely by writing thank you follow ups after interviews (WHY IS THIS NOW MANDATORY??? WHY WHY WHY WHY????? Shouldn't they be thanking me too??).
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Re: Worst Part of Job Hunting

Post by Sonic# » Thu Mar 22, 19:34 2018

I like interviews. (Well, minus the pants It would be better without the pants It would be better to be in a non-interview situation where it would be appropriate to have no pants.) Also resumes.

I don't like the thank yous usually - I chafe against any "social courtesy but not really lol do it to get a jorb." Same with handling references - asking them to do new things or to be ready for new job items fills me with a bit of dread each time. I mean, I know I'd do it for someone else and they're paying it forward or paying it back, but I feel guilty for making them work.

MFS

Post by MFS » Thu Mar 22, 21:40 2018

at least at the last several places I've been, no one gives a shit about "thank yous" outside of maybe an email afterwards.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Mar 23, 9:07 2018

References are hard, tbh. Do I ask the boss who literally told me he hated [my field]? He didn't say he hated *me* but... it was pretty uncomfortable. Do I ask the people I actually worked with even though they weren't my boss? (this is what I did) What about those who explicitly want your boss? Bleh.

Worst part is getting all the effing rejections. At least some of them have been kinder lately. And the ones that are frustrating "we decided not to fill this position at this time" then why tf you listing it in the first place.

Second worst is tailoring resume and my coverletter but I'm told I have to do that now to get it past HR. Sigh. It takes so long to apply to just one job now.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Mar 23, 9:34 2018

Ooooh, I got one.

I just got an e-mail with a link for joining a Skype interview ... whose time and day was never confirmed with me. I'm not sure if the link is for a couple of days' time or for right now. I just shot an e-mail to the person who was going to e-mail to confirm it, but my adrenaline just shot way up: I've not prepped for any interview today, let alone a Skype one.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Mar 23, 10:02 2018

Oooooof good luck
but at least you don't have to wear pants probably
though it might be a good idea anyway

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Mar 23, 10:11 2018

False alarm. No pants necessary. The interview is on Monday.

And now I'm fully dressed. Yay?

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Mar 23, 10:15 2018

I've been getting dressed anyway, tbh. But wearing a skirt so still no pants. :P

Actually I would prefer wearing pants to an interview over a skirt; I have comfortable skirts but the Formal Interview Skirt requires I wear nylons. Bleh.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Mar 23, 13:09 2018

Pantsss are my fave part of job hunting. I do hate updating my resume and trying to figure out what to add and what to take out (I know FORTRAN!!!, but really, i KNEW FORTRAN at some point...) and wondering if I really submitted this same crap resume before with that awkward phrasing... Nope, that won't do, I need to rewrite that section. And holy hell did I really do all that in graduate school and at my first job? I hope they don't ask about that because I don't remember it anymore...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.