can I kill this forum?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

can I kill this forum?

Post by spacefem » Sat Oct 5, 8:15 2019

Okay femmers - I realize this is a terrible death post but hang with me here...

We love this forum, always have always will, but I am asking you if maybe it's lived it's life? There are other ways we can chat if we want. There are other communities, they come and go, the internet will always have new things pop up and I bet we can always find each other.

A few years ago I started eliminating unused portions of my website so it wouldn't look like a virtual version of Hoarders. I got rid of some quizzes and features and weird scripts and never really missed them. The consequences were downright freeing!

The forum would be even MORE freeing because of the following:
1) Financially speaking, it is the biggest bandwidth/space hog on my server. I estimate it costs me $10-$20/mo if I look at it as a percentage of what I pay for my server and the percentage it takes up. While I am not in a hard financial position, I have to ask if it brings me joy worth that much. I don't use it as much as other things I pay that much for.

2) I have to update it all the time because it's 3rd party software and if I don't keep up with updates we get 1337 H4X0R5, plus there are always new laws about what you can store when people log in to sites, etc that make it harder and harder for little independent websites to store login and session info without hiring a freaking lawyer to make sure we're doing it right. I could go on and on about that - but it's a battle.

so how about it... can I delete this entire thing? What encouraging message shall I replace it with?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Enigma

Re: can I kill this forum?

Post by Enigma » Sat Oct 5, 12:45 2019

It does seem to spend more time silent than anything else these days. I'd hate to lose the connection to the amazing people on here though. If you feel like it's time for you to shut it down I'd love if there was still somewhere we could all meet online. I'm not sure what that would be.

I mean I love this place so I would hate to see it go.. but it's not the active community it once was. Forums just don't seem to thrive like they used to.

:(
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Oct 5, 19:02 2019

I'm with Enigma. I check for the last several months out of obligation or habit. I don't have the energy to start new discussions, and it isn't like others are starting many new discussions. I hate to see it go ... but I give you permission to, not that you need my permission.

Spacefem, thank you for the years of hosting. I know it cost you a lot of money over the years, and genuinely, I've learned so much from the other members of this community while it was running and lively. My first time traveling abroad, I felt less alone thanks to meeting with others. At a few crisis points in my life (finishing grad school, finding a job), this community was one place I found solace.

And I apologize for any errors I've made, any trolls I held on to too long, or anyone who was banned in error. I've always felt a bit like an outsider - a male who joined after many of the regulars had been here a while - but I appreciate the genuine inclusive atmosphere you all tried to Foster. I'm tipsy (is this a last drunk post?), but all of this is no less true - I've appreciated all of y'all, and hope we can chat again, in some form, at some point, in the future.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Oct 5, 19:04 2019

Replace it with a guestbook (LOL) - a final place to give thanks, record our joys (in the old way), and move on.

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Sun Oct 6, 1:23 2019

I would be sad to see it go but can't deny that it isn't the place it once was. The number of posts these days can't justify the costs.

Back in the day one would return after a few hours away and find loads of new posts but now there are only a few per month. It isn't quite as quiet as the chat but sadly not far off.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Oct 6, 4:52 2019

I think I've been expecting this. It was mentioned once that you were ready to let it die at some point in the past before it saw a bit of a resurgence. I've been curious how much you're putting into the server space, and seeing it now, it wouldn't be worth it to me if I was the one paying for it.

As far as encouraging messages go, maybe suggestions of where else to connect, find your place, and build community.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sun Oct 6, 20:29 2019

I agree with what seems to be the consensus here - I'd be sad to see it go but I also understand why it might be time.

I wish I had joined sooner, honestly, but I'm glad I got to be part of it at all.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Mon Oct 7, 18:53 2019

I'd definitely love a redirect to places to connect!

discord chat room is fun! http://discord.gg/nwuTDuF

I just went to check the xkcd forums because they were fun, but turns out they were taken offline because their user database was leaked. UGH. that makes me sad. and it's yet another sign that security is a constant battle - between you and me, the folks at xkcd were worse at updates than I was and that's saying a LOT.

what other places are good communities?

there's always places to track me down:
1) http://spacefem.livejournal.com
2) http://spacefem.blogspot.com
3) https://www.facebook.com/Spacefem/
4) https://www.reddit.com/u/spacefem
5) http://twitter.com/spacefem
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Oct 9, 17:40 2019

I have hardly been active in like a year. There's no time at work to do extra things, and no time at home what with kid things. 😕 I'll post where to find me when I'm not on my phone, in case you don't already know
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sun Oct 13, 7:45 2019

Yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Anyone that really wants to hear from me can add me on facebook or something else. I'm storage and disposal or storagedisposal or some combination of that on pretty much everything I go on. This site was part of my identity and I'm sad to see it go.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung