February featured Etsy shop & giveaway contest: Untamed Rose

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

spacefem

February featured Etsy shop & giveaway contest: Untamed Rose

Post by spacefem » Wed Feb 1, 17:25 2012

This month I am happy to present our first official Spacefem.com etsy artist feature! You all know I've been sort of dangerously addicted to Etsy for YEARS, and have run into so many awesome shop owners there I decided to share the love.

This month we're featuring "The Untamed Rose", which is run by California-based navy veteran, feminist and incredibly talented glass artist Breanna Daughtridge. I asked her about herself and her shop (you're going to LOVE this interview!) and if you like her shop and enter our contest, you can win a handmade glass heart, just in time for Valentine's Day! It's almost enough to make me like Valentine's Day!

Her shop is at http://www.etsy.com/shop/untamedrose or you can check her out on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Theuntamedrose

SO... Tell us about yourself, what's your background?
Lets see I am a veteran, a rare one at that as I was MM2 (Machinist Mate) - a female engineer. I was the very first and only female MM on my ship for a good long time, with a division of 200 some of men. I specialized on the fire side, working on the boilers oh how I loved to hear my girls sing.
Was in boot camp when 911 happened, I did two deployments and a security tour of duty in Bahrain.
My highest award was a NAM, for stopping a fuel leak right underneath one of the boilers. Ship would have gone Boom, killed everyone kinda thing. Can say I've been to 22 different countries :)

What are you up to now?
I'm an academic, with no real purpose. I just enjoy school, so I take the classes that interest me. Flip my major around as needed, I'm tapping out my GI bill is how I can afford this luxury. Have studied under a Biz, History, Anthropology and I am now an Art major. I joke that when I do finally graduate they will have to hand me like 3 degrees.

I'm married to a Sailor, who I did not meet in the military...had no intention of becoming a little navy wife. We actually dated in high school, broke up come graduation, and ran back into him about the time I sworn off all men lol. He hung around for a year before I'd admit I was dating him and several more years before I'd marry him. He is a very patience man.

Have two kids, an eight year old daughter who is my scientist. Currently is heavy into astronomy, she's brilliant. Then there is my two year old son, who is my sweet cuddly...troublemaker. He keeps me busy and my friends greatly amused with his antics. He's lucky he's cute, lets say it that way.

We met in the Etsy feminist team. What got you in there?
I come from a long line of feminists. My grandmother considered herself one, my mother did as well. So I grew up with the whole gender neutral, critical thinking and debate is king kind of childhood. I can't say I claimed the feminist title until I had grow up some an seen the world..seeing how women around the world where treated. I realized the lacking around the world, and the lacking in my own country.

What got you started in the art world?
Art wise I've played around with a lot of different mediums, like most artists. Always been an artist, think art isn't something you learn it's something in your heart. Either you are or you aren't... now the means to show it takes years to learn.
I got into glass about 5 years ago. Started with stain glass, but's slow going and very precise work. Little room for impromptu creativity. Played with fusion for a bit, but found it very restraining want to make something different..oh gotta buy another mold.

I saw a glass blowing presentation, and was captured. Always been drawn to fire, it's life giving power and it's destructive fury. It's a very strong female entity.

I had to try it, so I researched, spent way more money then budgeted, and I got my finally torch this summer. I went into boro glass as I want to do the sculpture side, which softer glass's wont allow. The hearts are beautiful, but they arnt what I really want to create with this glass...it's my between as I grow and learn this new art form. Hot glass is alive, it often has a mind of it's own and which can infuriating and magical. Really is impossible to create the same thing twice.
Learning to sweet talk the beautiful color out and to get it to flow the way you want it to is a process.

Contest info

Okay, so for the contest! Breanna is sponsoring Spacefem.com's first Etsy giveaway contest with one heart of your chosing up to $20 in value.

There are three ways to enter! All three require that you have an Etsy account so you can favorite her shop (and order your heart if you win!)

1) Favorite her shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/untamedrose) and reply to our contest thread on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spacefem/358308337513926

2) Favorite her shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/untamedrose) and post a twitter status update that mentions something like "Entering to win a handmade glass heart by Untamed Rose at http://spacefem.com/t/44138" (click here to tweet just that!)

3) Favorite her shop and reply to this thread if you're a forum member. Make the first word of your reply "Entry!" then skip some lines then comment as usual, since some people may comment without entering and that's okay. You can also just reply to this thread with follow-up questions, comments for the artist, praise, whatever's on your mind, it'll be awesome.

Must enter contest by February 10th and winner will be announced February 11th! If selected as a winner you'll be asked for your Etsy account so we can verify that you favorited her on or before the 10th, and so we can send you more instructions. At least 10 people must enter for giveaway to happen, and after 100 entries the contest will end regardless of date. Winners can be from anywhere. Okay, go!

Storage and Disposal

Re: February featured Etsy shop & giveaway contest: Untamed

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Feb 1, 17:39 2012

I love glass art!
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

drunken dragon

Post by drunken dragon » Wed Feb 1, 18:39 2012

It's all so pretty! I'll be putting in an order for a pendant soon!
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Thu Feb 2, 3:23 2012

ENTRY!

Favourited! I've always wanted to try boro (I'm a soft-glass artist), one day I'll actually afford a torch.... That purple heart is especially pretty.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Feb 2, 9:49 2012

I did a boro class once! It was totally fun even if all I made were blobs. :D
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Thu Feb 2, 11:09 2012

Entry!

There's some very pretty stuff there! I've always been so fascinated by glassblowing.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Untamedrose

Post by Untamedrose » Tue Feb 7, 12:27 2012

Thanks for the kind words :) and wow yall got some good chances on this lol

Untamedrose

Post by Untamedrose » Tue Feb 7, 12:28 2012

rowan wrote:I did a boro class once! It was totally fun even if all I made were blobs. :D

LOL :D we all start with blobs...weird slug like lookin blobs.

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Tue Feb 7, 12:36 2012

Entry!

I'm worried about the part that says the contest doesn't run unless 10 people enter. Regardless these hearts are awesome, and I love supporting fellow feminists.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Feb 7, 13:03 2012

Do I have to get a heart if I win or can I make up the difference for something else? I'm just not a heart person...but those octopi are pretty sweet

monk

Post by monk » Tue Feb 7, 16:32 2012

entered!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Untamedrose

Post by Untamedrose » Tue Feb 7, 17:17 2012

lol I suppose we could work something else out if you simply can't stand hearts

...Hey speak of the devil a blob :blob:

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Feb 9, 10:19 2012

Entry, then! :)

Octopus! eh heh heh

Untamedrose

Post by Untamedrose » Thu Feb 9, 23:32 2012

Kinda cool :)

Kinda skipped the first steps as...it has to go quick and takes two hands. Which doesnt do well with stopping to take pics. What you miss before this one(for this heart) is the white rod melted into a ball, Flattened into a paddle shape. Coated with amber purple glass which looks yellow as a rod, goes on clear but turns anywhere from light pink to a dark dark purple pending how I treat it. Reflatten into paddle....get it soft cut in half. So I have what looks like a pac man. Then melt both sides so they are more round drop shapes.
Then it's on to this photo...use gravity to melt the two side together.
And Ta da!

LunchBox

Post by LunchBox » Fri Feb 10, 2:38 2012

That is so gorgeous. I like the octopi.

Entry?

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sat Feb 11, 14:00 2012

Contest over!

The winner was chosen by everyone's favorite chooser random.org, and it's SusanD who entered on facebook:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/susand1408

Susan I will have the Bree contact you about how to claim your prize.

Thanks to everyone who participated and especially untamed rose for the great feature!