How well would you survive in the wilderness?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Post by spacebot » Thu Sep 7, 2:01 2017

rowan

Re: How well would you survive in the wilderness?

Post by rowan » Thu Sep 7, 21:04 2017

Pretty well as long as I have all my stuff. :P
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Sep 8, 15:28 2017

I could probably avoid most trouble. Making a basic shelter, not making it using poison ivy, and items like that? Fine.

Fire? Oh, I'd definitely want a fire starter for that.

Food and water would be the big constraint. I don't know how to make traps or weapons to replace, say, a bow and arrow, and I wouldn't likely know what was poisonous or not. So, uh, don't leave me out camping too long.

Nech

Post by Nech » Sat Sep 9, 9:51 2017

I think I'd do pretty well. Every time I've dealt with outdoorsy stuff I always seem to manage much better than everyone expects. Just seems to click for me. I could probably survive for quite awhile. Dunno if I have the skills to support/carry others in the wild though...they may get eaten.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sat Sep 9, 20:47 2017

Medium? Im good in the outdoors and have read many hatchet type books and watched a lot of survivorman so there's that but I've also never hunted or fished (vegetarian) and my plant identification is not great. I did get lost in the woods once and we found our way out eventually before needing food/shelter etc.

I think my shelter/water/fire/finding my way would be successfulish but food wouldn't go well.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nech

Post by Nech » Sun Sep 10, 9:05 2017

Enigma wrote:
Sat Sep 9, 20:47 2017
Medium? Im good in the outdoors and have read many hatchet type books and watched a lot of survivorman so there's that but I've also never hunted or fished (vegetarian) and my plant identification is not great. I did get lost in the woods once and we found our way out eventually before needing food/shelter etc.

I think my shelter/water/fire/finding my way would be successfulish but food wouldn't go well.

I'm actually curious now, is it possible to forage a well balanced diet in Canada do you think? You know better than me where all the nutrition comes from. There's berries, mushrooms, fruits, and maybe the occasional nut. What would be missing?
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Sep 10, 15:38 2017

I like foraging and do it fairly often, but I'm not very confident to do it without someone I trust with a larger knowledge set. I still mistake non-crunchy mushrooms for crunchy and that's a key identification step. I assume that Canadian foraging opportunities are similar to Finland's, and I don't think I could get enough calories, though I could cover my nutritional bases otherwise, depending on the time of year. I wouldn't be able to find enough food in the snow, but I suppose I would freeze to death before starving.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 10, 15:44 2017

if it's winter that does change everything...
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Sep 11, 12:16 2017

Oh, so not well at all. I could last about as long as my supplies lasted, and then I'd be doomed.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 12, 15:34 2017

Nech wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 9:05 2017
Enigma wrote:
Sat Sep 9, 20:47 2017

I'm actually curious now, is it possible to forage a well balanced diet in Canada do you think? You know better than me where all the nutrition comes from. There's berries, mushrooms, fruits, and maybe the occasional nut. What would be missing?
Nutritionally if you had plenty all of those things you would do ok for a long time (I think b12 is the only thing completely missing from that list, bird eggs for that maybe?). But quantity wise I think it would be very difficult to get enough calories. If it was winter in Canada food availability would be around zero I'd say, meat would be basically the only choice and would be difficult to find. Plus if you don't get shelter and fire going immediately you're probably dead long before you starve. Has anyone else read the short story "to build a fire" by Jack London?
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"