I think I need a new laptop....

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Nachos

I think I need a new laptop....

Post by Nachos » Fri Sep 8, 2:46 2017

Mine is about 10 years old and still running windows vista. It is only now starting to get super slow and not load stuff, possibly because support is ending for old systems like mine.

What recommendations do people have?

I need a pretty simple one because I don't game much online but powerful enough to do things fast. I also don't want a netbook, something a bit larger is better for me.

Also affordable.

Help?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Sonic#

Re: I think I need a new laptop....

Post by Sonic# » Fri Sep 8, 14:43 2017

My current laptop is from the Dell Inspiron line. I got it for ~$300 US at a store, mainly to use the internet and write. I find the 11.6" monitor to be a good size for me (there may be similar models with larger monitor sizes). The touch screen is fun to play with on occasion. Most important for me, the keyboard is responsive and ordinary-sized, so it fits my large hands.*

It's almost 3 years old now and I'm really happy with it. My wife got a more recent model that's bigger and can play some games for ~$600.

* I actually really did want a netbook at one point, but at the time I looked, the keyboards were all like toy keyboards to me. Forget home row; I could only hunt and peck.

Jackninja5

Post by Jackninja5 » Sat Sep 16, 1:49 2017

My laptop is 5 years old and is a MacBook Pro OS X.
That's why we won't back down
We won't run and hide
'Cause these are the things we can't deny
I'm passing over you like a satellite
So catch me if I fall
That's why you stick to your game plans and party lives
But at night we're conspiring by candlelight
We are the orphans of the American dreams
Oh shine your light on me

Aum

Post by Aum » Sat Sep 16, 6:55 2017

Until my recent laptop, which is performance heavy and large, I always bought HPs. HP has the best warranties and customization options. I don't have a specific model in mind but researching the HP brand should bring up something for you.

My previous laptop that I had for 5+ years ran on Vista and I was soooo happy to get a new computer JUST to escape using that operating system!

My current computer is an MSI, which is actually a gaming computer... but I didn't buy it for that, I bought it because it's the fastest computer I could find. Never lags, I can run a million programs, and I can watch all the content I want without RAM issues. You might want to think outside of the box a bit and repurpose a computer for your own uses that was intended for something else, like I've done. :)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Sep 17, 9:40 2017

So I had a look at some at a store yesterday and have discovered that you can now get some pretty good external CD drives which opens up my options a bit. I'd like a 15" screen and a largeish keyboard that doesn't necessarily have the number pad on the side. There are some good options out there, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Trekstor, but now I need to do more research.

Probably not going to get a new one this week though!

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 17, 17:05 2017

I went with HP last time and have been pretty happy with it. I'm still sad Sony stopped making the VAIO but what can you do. I don't think Asus has as good a track record lately and I haven't heard about Trekstor. Lenovo is what IBM is calling their laptop these days, I just didn't like the feel of the keyboard as much as the HP, which is a big thing for me personally (so I always have to try in the store first).
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Sep 17, 17:15 2017

Yeah, I also always have to try in store! A drawback for the more recent laptops is that they only seem to have one USB port! Seems very little for me....

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 17, 17:20 2017

oh really? ugh. Mine has three. I do need to get an external CD drive one of these days, though.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!