Laughing at the not funny

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Skeezy

Laughing at the not funny

Post by Skeezy » Wed Sep 27, 18:33 2017

Had to post some where to vent.

Long story short.

Baltimore Police were forced to start using body cams recently. A few got caught planting drugs. I see B.S. coming on the courts. It's all around messy. No one wins.

A bit pissed because while they'll admit possibly over 1000 cases might get thrown out. They arent making any mention of the fact all the officers on scene knew what was going on.

Irritates me a tad.

rowan

Re: Laughing at the not funny

Post by rowan » Wed Sep 27, 21:17 2017

Yeah.

Here we just "found out" that cams haven't been turned on more than like 10% of the time.

Fuck the police.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Thu Sep 28, 5:05 2017

Here an officer is (finally) getting in trouble for beating someone, but the other three officers on the scene aren't receiving any reprimand for letting it happen or threatening the law-abiding citizen who recorded the interaction (both threatening to take their phone and saying the (faced down and tased) man would spit on him and give him Aids). It's like three steps forwards two and a half steps back.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Thu Sep 28, 6:52 2017

rowan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 21:17 2017
Yeah.

Here we just "found out" that cams haven't been turned on more than like 10% of the time.

Fuck the police.
Yeah the fact they are able to turn them on and off at will is now coming into question. Luckily they actually do record all the time and retain 30 seconds prior to activation. Which was enough time to show them stashing drugs then later finding them. One officer even yells, "You werent supposed to turn yours on yet!"

Most people in Baltimore are afraid of having more riots over court cases like this. With all thats going on, and the trend, things dont look to good.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Sep 28, 9:09 2017

I have my reservations about cameras, and one reason is because they can be controlled by the people using them. If they're off 90% of the time? They're not doing anything. If they can just happen not to be turned on, then an officer who commits police brutality can use that as an excuse and get a slap on the wrist for breaking protocol. The rules for cameras ought to be transparent, consistent, and inured against misuse. Then there's the fact that two people can watch the same footage and one person will see brutality or corruption and the other will see justified force or nothing.

So the cameras? Good idea, sometimes works (the corruption was found), lots of issues to iron out. And that's even before the whole issue of public surveillance. Or bystander effects.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Sep 28, 16:37 2017

By bystander effects do you mean issues of using the footage in the courtroom, where the jury puts themselves in the officer's shoes and thinks "well *I* would be afraid" even though that's very fraught both because of racism and also because well, officers (in theory*) are supposed to be trained to deal with harder situations than your average juror is?

* and we see how that's going

is jurist a word
eta: yes but the wrong one, fixed
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Sat Sep 30, 8:07 2017

Planting drugs is one thing. When I was actually living in the city the cops would sometimes do what is called a "sweep." They would just pick a spot and arrest anyone walking by who didnt have I.D. Since its mostly done in residential areas, half the neighborhood would be in bookings. Its one of the most unconstitutional things Ive ever experienced twice.

While caught in one, I spoke to one of the officers, "I only live 2 blocks away, do you take I.D. when you walk your dog?. He replied, "I dont need to."

This among several other common practices such as unexpectedly slamming people, taking misguided youth to the cemetary and beating them then leaving them there.

Ive been out of the inner city for about 9 years now but Im sure pretty much all that stuff and more still goes on.