on being semi-pregnant

Moderator: melsbells

dorkorama

on being semi-pregnant

Post by dorkorama » Thu Sep 28, 7:41 2017

My partner and I have been talking for years about if and when we should have a kid. It took a long time for us to come to agreement and to feel good with where we were at emotionally, financially, and philosophically with regards to child-rearing. We finally started "trying" and literally a week after ovulating, my boobs hurt and I had a positive pregnancy test. He joked that I wanted to have a kid so badly that my body made it happen that quickly, though I know that many couples try for months or even years without that kind of luck, and that it doesn't reflect at all on how 'much' they wanted to conceive.

This is all very exciting- a period of time I have been looking forward to for what seems like ages- but we are pretty cautious since it is early on. I have been loving checking the odds of miscarriage table* on this site each day to keep perspective on how early I am in pregnancy... statistics are empowering! Anyway, I am considering myself "semi-pregnant". While I might technically have HCG doubling in my system every day, it doesn't really seem like I should get emotionally attached or make epic prego plans when there's still a 1 in 4 shot this clump of cells might not stick.

How long did it take for you to get pregnant? What did you do early on in your pregnancies while you didn't have (m)any symptoms of being pregnant? Already I feel bored mashing my sore boobs, and the adventures I have planned for the fall seem so far away.

*(I am terrible at figuring out how to insert hyperlinks in forums or I would have included the link to the miscarriage odds table)

Sonic#

Re: on being semi-pregnant

Post by Sonic# » Thu Sep 28, 9:17 2017

When I read the subject I thought, "What does semi-pregnant mean?" I guess you answered that. :)

My partner and I are in a similar situation now. We're being cautiously optimistic, but my feeling is that there's no wrong way to respond to the high risk of miscarriage.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Sep 28, 14:02 2017

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations and best of luck on your pregnancy. I'm not sure if my answers to your questions are all that relevant. I suppose I got pregnant quickly, since I was actively trying not to do so and had assumed I would have difficulties if I ever tried anyway based on various indicators. I told people fairly soon after I realized. I was so freaked out I wanted people in my life to know what was going on no matter how things ended up. Early on was mostly business as usual, but with lots more questions about the future.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Sep 28, 16:28 2017

ugh I remember the boob soreness.

I guess it was pretty quick for us, we used condoms for a while after I went off BC just to flush things out but then when we stopped it was that month. We held off telling people for the first bit but I think maybe I would do differently now, for a few close people, just so I'd have support if things went awry.

Congratulations and welcome!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Sep 29, 11:11 2017

I was working two jobs when I got pregnant, we had been trying for several months. I was way too tired to do anything but sleep lol. We gonna my family pretty early just because at 8 weeks it was Christmas and that was convenient.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Oct 3, 5:26 2017

Just like melsbells, got pregnant while semi-actively avoiding it. I had started doing a workout bootcamp about 3 months before I got prego, and kept it up until gravity won and my bladder lost. There's only so much bouncy-squishing a bladder can take... Don't throw your fall plans out the window just yet -- some bodies agree beautifully with some pregnancies, even if the first few weeks are rough. Congratulations!
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Tue Oct 3, 13:18 2017

congratulations!! i've never been pregnant but i'm jealous. i'm having baby fever lately.
:gf: :devil: :syringe: