New Job!

Moderator: Zeph

Bork

New Job!

Post by Bork » Mon Oct 16, 11:49 2017

I'm starting a new job in two weeks. YIKES. Just gave notice to my boss, so it's super official now. Today also happens to be my first day back after attending a conference, so I'm not feeling super great about the timing. Is that horrible??? I mean, I still went to all my meetings at the conference, and fucking NAILED my presentation, so it's not like I slacked off while I was there...

I'm pretty nervous. It's a 6-month contract position, so I won't actually have any benefits, but apparently the pay is quite a bit higher than it otherwise would be to offset that. We'll see. But, I like the idea that it'll only be for six months because it means I'm not committing to something super long term. Could end up being longer if they extend it or hire me full time, but we'll see.

I'm also really excited, and I think this is a good step. I stayed in my previous job for a ridiculously longer amount of time than I should have, and I don't want to end up doing the same thing here. I don't want to look up in ten years and realize that so many things have passed me by. I like what I'm doing, but this isn't a place I want to be for the rest of my life. I'm also hoping that this will be a good way to start working in industry, rather than non-profit.

EEEEEEEEEEK. I'M REALLY FUCKING NERVOUS YOU GUYS.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Re: New Job!

Post by Enigma » Mon Oct 16, 12:50 2017

Yay congrats! You'll do great. :)
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Oct 16, 12:57 2017

Yes! I wish you the best of luck Bork. Transitions can be scary, but you sound ready. :)

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Oct 16, 15:16 2017

That's awesome Bork! This sounds like the right time. Best of luck!

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Tue Oct 17, 12:04 2017

Best of Luck to you and I hope you enjoy it along with the pay.

Nech

Post by Nech » Tue Oct 17, 20:28 2017

Yay congrats! :D
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Oct 19, 13:23 2017

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah. I keep going back and forth with myself about whether or not this was a good idea. I feel super bad and guilty for leaving my current job, and bummed because there are a lot of aspect that I really really really like about it... but then things that frustrate me come up and I remember that there's no way any of that is getting fixed even in the slightest and yes leaving is a good decision.

I do really wish I had waited until January, though. Or at least another week so I'd have health insurance at my old job through November. Alas. Too late for that now!!

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Oct 20, 7:38 2017

For what it's worth, I think job inertia and nostalgia for the old job is pretty common. Last time I quit a job, it was horrible enough that I took a pay cut to clear out of that place. The work environment was so bad that for about a year, we had someone quit each month. The boss was probably expelled from Hell before he landed on our group. And after I quit, I felt so good that I forgot for about 5 minutes why I'd decided to quit, and even got nostalgic. So I think it's not entirely uncommon: just like with exes, don't romanticize the ex-job, because you broke up for a reason. ;)
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sat Oct 21, 13:15 2017

i'm sure it's a great decision! when i'm at the point of looking at and applying for other jobs it's for good reasons.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Oct 22, 14:11 2017

DarkOne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 7:38 2017
don't romanticize the ex-job, because you broke up for a reason. ;)
This is so true! (and something I have to remind myself of repeatedly)

EEE good luck! :D
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Oct 25, 14:10 2017

Good luck! I'm sure it will be just great. And sometimes having the time to be flexible gives you a chance to explore your career options :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Ileen Kotter

Post by Ileen Kotter » Thu Nov 2, 2:05 2017

Best of luck! You can do it, buddy. Think positive.

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Nov 7, 0:19 2017

Argh. So, I'm not sure this is really the best fit. My first week was pretty frustrating. I'm not sure that my supervisor has ever managed people before. I finished my training stuff about halfway through Tuesday, and wasn't given anything else to do until Thursday afternoon. I finished that this morning, and so far haven't been given anything else. My supervisor is also leaving for a month, starting tomorrow I believe. This feels like a bit of a waste of time, which would bother me anyways, but especially gets on my nerves because I really wanted to push my start date later and was told that they wouldn't hire me if that was the case because they needed to fill the position ASAP. Because of how much work there was. I'm fine with a hands off supervisor, but not when I don't have anything to do. I don't need a babysitter, but I do need someone to show me what I should be doing.

The office environment is also a bit odd. I'm in a pseudo-cubicle in the middle of a room with offices on either side. I'm not sure if the cubicles being occupied is a new thing, but people certainly don't seem aware that there are now people in the cubicles. They talk to each other from their offices, or while they're walking to another office, or to someone sitting in a back cubicle from their office. It's super disruptive and I find it incredibly rude and inconsiderate. It was something that drove me crazy about my first job. It also seems a bit... not cliquey, because that's too high school, but people have their groups and don't seem to make an effort to get to know or include new people.

I'm not overly upset, because working here has increased my frustration with my previous job, and I know I would majorly regret not taking this position. It's just a six month contract, so I can re-evaluate in a few months and see how I feel.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Nov 7, 5:21 2017

Ugh. That sucks, but it made me chuckle a little bit -- made me think of the opening scene in Hot Fuzz ("you've been making us all look bad"). It is entirely possible your new boss has only mostly managed average/mediocre people for a while. Is it a larger company, your new workplace? I've been in a similar position before, where the old machine is soooo inefficient and slow moving that I seem to be outrunning the going pace of work. I've made the mistake of joining in on the complacency and performing at a lower level than I could... you know, working hard enough not to get fired. Which is, of course, no bueno. So, for now, maybe you can see it as a lesson in what not to do and how not to be at a workplace? Or an opportunity for growth. I think trying to make/find your own work is a part of a maturing career, though usually not for contract work... But meh.

About the work environment, I have two ideas. 1) Headphones. I think of them as my office door (I'm also in a modular workspace). And 2) and this might turn out tobe a complete failure, is a candy or treat bowl to break the ice. Something small enough that people don't feel uncomfortable taking from the freebie jar, but tempting enough that they do. And in a non-lidded container -- lids keep people out. Maybe by your desk, or by the coffee area with an anonymous "Enjoy!" note. Yes, it should be them welcoming you in, but if the culture has been one of isolation and cliqueishness, maybe it'll be you who has to take the first step. And if they still ignore you, well, they can all go screw themselves.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Nov 8, 11:14 2017

Headphones are the best, I got some nice big ones to block out my (now former) officemate who I love and is a great person but FFSshutupalready

anyway. Is there anyone else in your group that you can get some other things to do? If your boss is leaving you'd think they'd be like "here's a bunch of stuff to do while I'm gone"
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!