steampunk / clockwork book suggestions

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

rowan

steampunk / clockwork book suggestions

Post by rowan » Fri Nov 3, 20:00 2017

I like steampunk and clockwork kind of books but so rarely are any of the ones I pick up any *good* (see, to whit, Arabella from Mars in the book thread). Does anyone have any suggestions? Not that my to-read shelf is empty by any means but I want to run a game that's steampunk-y and I'm looking for some inspiration.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

rowan

Re: steampunk / clockwork book suggestions

Post by rowan » Fri Nov 10, 12:48 2017

No oneeeee?

*sniffle*

I ordered some books by James Blaylock, KW Jeter, and Tim Powers so I'll review them when they come and I read them. I already like Tim Powers as an author (loved Declare, Last Call series, etc) so that review may be biased.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Nov 12, 8:01 2017

The only suggestion I have is parts of the Invisible Library series. But let me know if any of them are good! xxx
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Nov 22, 10:15 2017

All right I read The Digging Leviathan by Blaylock and it was ok but definitely not steampunk. It was kind of like... trying to be Lovecraftian but also Jules Verne-ish at the same time, but set in the 1950s or 60s. It was weird and I might have liked it all right except for a couple of things.
1) not steampunk and I was expecting steampunk and wanted steampunk. So this is an unfair criticism but it meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have otherwise.
2) the voice in it was weird. Like it ~wanted~ to be victorianish steampunky voice but it was set in the 1950s Los Angeles so really just didn't work.
3) the science was terrible. I am TOTALLY OK if the science is terrible pulpish science and this would totally not have bothered me in the least if this had been set 30-40 years earlier. If you're going to pulp fiction the science though you need to choose science that's cutting edge for the storyline though, not something that far behind you.

I believe this is the first novel by Blaylock along these lines, though. The next one is in fact set in the 1800s and so I will read it and hopefully it will be all right. I'm ok with it not being totally steampunk; I read that this set is close to the first in the genre, so that will be all right but. We'll see. More to come! [there are almost zero women in this novel; there are two but they are background characters]

:2houses: for not being what I expected in the least. Possibly :3houses: if I'd been in a more lovecraftian mood.

ETA: Ursula Vernon's Clockwork Boys is out for patreons and that's next on my list though because duh. (It's listed under T Kingfisher since it's not a kids book)