spacebot

Why did kids make fun of you?

Post by spacebot » Thu Nov 16, 2:00 2017

Why did kids make fun of you?

Nech

Re: Why did kids make fun of you?

Post by Nech » Thu Nov 16, 7:46 2017

I got teased a lot for my last name. :(
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Thu Nov 16, 9:50 2017

Ouch, spacebot. Anyway, frizzy hair, liking to read, not watching much TV, caring about school, not shaving my legs...idk I’m sure there was more. Basically variations on the themes of “not caring enough about my appearance” and “caring too much about intellectual things.”

artemiscuous

Post by artemiscuous » Thu Nov 16, 14:28 2017

Acne, glasses, liking sci-fi, being a girl, and getting good grades.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Nov 16, 15:11 2017

'cuz they were jerks obviously
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Thu Nov 16, 15:22 2017

I recently learned that there was some bullying in my class growing up, I always said there wasn't.
The reason I didn't notice wasn't because I was popular, that's for sure. I think I just didn't care enough about what people's opinions of me were so their teasing never registered. Since it never got a reaction they just didn't bother with me.

That being said, I was made fun of at my first job for having a fairly large vocabulary. When I asked what they were on about they pointed to my use of the word "erratic" so... There's that.

Small towns folks, I wouldn't raise my kid in one if I could help it.

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Nov 16, 17:29 2017

Nech wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 7:46 2017
My last name is pretty close to Hiney. Nuff said.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Nov 16, 21:31 2017

rowan wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 15:11 2017
'cuz they were jerks obviously
This is my favorite answer, followed closely by their being insecure and concerned about social status.

What did they weaponize? I was made fun of:
for being too smart. (My nickname at a week-long boy's camp? "Holmes." This was before Robert Downey Jr. or Benedict Cumberbatch played the parts.)
for my vocabulary. (I don't consider "erratic" a big or a complex word. I was dinged for words like "mischievous," and [in another direction] utterly mocked the time I called a bully a "mother fucking bitch.")
for being a nerd. (I played with legos too long? Or liked video games too much? Or was really into sci-fi? Or reading?)
for liking "girly" things. (For example, I expressed interest in Sailor Moon to girls who liked it. They just laughed at me. :( )
for picking my nose. (Okay, that was kind of gross, elementary-school me.)
for being close friends with another kid. ("Gay.")
for wanting to be called my name and not something else. (Ex. Daniel, not Dan and especially not Danny and especially especially not Dannybitch.)
for not wanting to break rules or hurt other people. (I wasn't a tattler, but I was treated like a killjoy.)

Ugh, they were jerks. Most of those things are awesome. I'm going to go drink a beer now.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Nov 17, 4:17 2017

I had some girls kick me out of their friend group in 7th grade. Because jealous.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Nov 17, 7:34 2017

I was picked on for:
- Being class nerd, though this eventually became a badge of honor.
- Having buck teeth. Braces took care of that.
- Being short.
- Mispronouncing a word. It stuck. But the main instigator was a boy I liked, so I actually didn't mind that bit of attention.
- Constantly falling. I got nothing for this one. I did statistically trip and/or take tumbles more than average, often in front of crowds. This persisted through high school.
Oh and that one time I hit my own head with the javelin I was throwing. I haven't outlived that one.

Also,
Bork wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 17:29 2017
Nech wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 7:46 2017
My last name is pretty close to Hiney. Nuff said.
I love the names Aster and Astrid -- my mom and my sister have names that mean "star", so I liked that they were a non-repeated "family name"... In any case, I decided those were too close to "ASS TURD", so I skipped them. Stoopid theoretical future middle school bullies...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Wed Nov 22, 12:13 2017

I got picked on when I was about 5 or 6 by a girl. She used to make fun of my pants. I had a pair of khaki pants and would cuff the end. She called them bell bottoms and everyone would laugh. This happened several times. The only time Ive ever been picked on really. My best friend often reminisces, "Why didnt you make fun of her eyes? They were huge!"

I was very shy when I was young. As I got older, I'm more purposely quiet than shy.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Nov 24, 9:22 2017

Because I was 7 and I didn't see girls as having cooties. I was called "girl" for hanging out with them. Doesn't sound like much and girl shouldn't be an insult, but when you're a kid and just know you're a boy that wants to fit in and have friends, it stings a lot.

I was also called a suck up in the seventh grade for getting all A's on a SINGLE report card.

People stopped messing with me after I got into a fight.