What games have you played lately?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Sonic#

What games have you played lately?

Post by Sonic# » Sat Dec 30, 23:54 2017

As always, I'm on the lookout for game recommendations. This can be video games, board games, word games, or whatever.

I'll start with my Christmas gift: Camel Up. It's a board game where players win money by betting on a camel race. Over two games, I've not lost one game, but I've enjoyed both efforts.

First, it's a delightfully-designed game. The camel-racing is mediated by five dice rolled from a large pyramid constructed from cardboard cutouts and a rubber band. I can shake the pyramid-box, flip it over, and push a slot in to release one die at a time and determine how far a camel goes forward. Besides that, the camels stack - if a camel lands in the same space as another camel, it climbs on top. If a camel at the bottom of the stack moves, the whole stack moves. So it's fun to try and manipulate stacks to move a camel from last to first, or to throw off someone else's bet.

The betting system is relatively simple. One can bet for the leader at the end of a "leg" (after 5 die rolls), and there are monetary benefits to betting before everyone else. One can also predict the end winner and loser for larger sums of money. The risk, in betting too early, is that the apparent leader may fall behind. Meanwhile, waiting too long means not earning as much money.

It's also a short game, a vote in its favor. A playthrough lasts perhaps 30 minutes at most, each turn has four clear choices, and it feels like the game can be strategized around.

Finally, it's a highly unpredictable and swingy game. That's not really a flaw, but rather the nature of the game. I haven't won a playthrough yet. The first game, I made a lot of bets that didn't pan out. The second game, I was far less eager to make bets and let another player edge me out. I can't wait to see what the next playthrough brings.

SimpleMan

Re: What games have you played lately?

Post by SimpleMan » Sun Dec 31, 10:11 2017

4 player chess...

https://www.chess.com/4-player-chess

A nice spin off on a classic game... I really love chess, but sometimes it can get a bit repetitive, so I do appreciate this kind of variations.

They offer the option to play it as single player, or in teams of 2. It is really fun, strategy is a bit different, bishops are way more useful than in regular chess.

In the single player version of it, you will accumulate points as you take pieces or the so... the winner will be the one with more points at the end of the game.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sun Dec 31, 13:34 2017

I got a PlayStation for Christmas so I'm excited to play all the cool games you can only get on that system and I'm definitely looking for game recommendations too. So far I've started playing Abzu which is a very relaxing scuba kind of game.

In terms of board games the most recent one I played was Christmas Story monopoly.. which was monopoly but probably better if you're a fan of the movie.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sun Dec 31, 15:44 2017

Not much lately, I was playing elder scrolls online but I stopped. It's kind of slow on my laptop. I want a ps4 because they have such good RPGs on it. I have to wait until I get a tv though.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Dec 31, 15:58 2017

We've been playing dominoes recently, Chicken Foot and Mexican Train. I prefer Chicken Foot because there more of a chance for the game to swing.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Jan 3, 7:54 2018

We also played dominoes recently. Simple blocking game with two 2-person teams. I think that's the most popular variant in the Caribbean.

Not exactly a game, but I also recently did an Escape Room with a group of friends. It was fun, but maybe we overestimated our wits and should've imbibed a bit less before entering the room. We needed to use hints to escape. That was disappointing.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.