What games have you played lately?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Sonic#

What games have you played lately?

Post by Sonic# » Sat Dec 30, 23:54 2017

As always, I'm on the lookout for game recommendations. This can be video games, board games, word games, or whatever.

I'll start with my Christmas gift: Camel Up. It's a board game where players win money by betting on a camel race. Over two games, I've not lost one game, but I've enjoyed both efforts.

First, it's a delightfully-designed game. The camel-racing is mediated by five dice rolled from a large pyramid constructed from cardboard cutouts and a rubber band. I can shake the pyramid-box, flip it over, and push a slot in to release one die at a time and determine how far a camel goes forward. Besides that, the camels stack - if a camel lands in the same space as another camel, it climbs on top. If a camel at the bottom of the stack moves, the whole stack moves. So it's fun to try and manipulate stacks to move a camel from last to first, or to throw off someone else's bet.

The betting system is relatively simple. One can bet for the leader at the end of a "leg" (after 5 die rolls), and there are monetary benefits to betting before everyone else. One can also predict the end winner and loser for larger sums of money. The risk, in betting too early, is that the apparent leader may fall behind. Meanwhile, waiting too long means not earning as much money.

It's also a short game, a vote in its favor. A playthrough lasts perhaps 30 minutes at most, each turn has four clear choices, and it feels like the game can be strategized around.

Finally, it's a highly unpredictable and swingy game. That's not really a flaw, but rather the nature of the game. I haven't won a playthrough yet. The first game, I made a lot of bets that didn't pan out. The second game, I was far less eager to make bets and let another player edge me out. I can't wait to see what the next playthrough brings.

SimpleMan

Re: What games have you played lately?

Post by SimpleMan » Sun Dec 31, 10:11 2017

4 player chess...

https://www.chess.com/4-player-chess

A nice spin off on a classic game... I really love chess, but sometimes it can get a bit repetitive, so I do appreciate this kind of variations.

They offer the option to play it as single player, or in teams of 2. It is really fun, strategy is a bit different, bishops are way more useful than in regular chess.

In the single player version of it, you will accumulate points as you take pieces or the so... the winner will be the one with more points at the end of the game.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sun Dec 31, 13:34 2017

I got a PlayStation for Christmas so I'm excited to play all the cool games you can only get on that system and I'm definitely looking for game recommendations too. So far I've started playing Abzu which is a very relaxing scuba kind of game.

In terms of board games the most recent one I played was Christmas Story monopoly.. which was monopoly but probably better if you're a fan of the movie.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sun Dec 31, 15:44 2017

Not much lately, I was playing elder scrolls online but I stopped. It's kind of slow on my laptop. I want a ps4 because they have such good RPGs on it. I have to wait until I get a tv though.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Dec 31, 15:58 2017

We've been playing dominoes recently, Chicken Foot and Mexican Train. I prefer Chicken Foot because there more of a chance for the game to swing.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Jan 3, 7:54 2018

We also played dominoes recently. Simple blocking game with two 2-person teams. I think that's the most popular variant in the Caribbean.

Not exactly a game, but I also recently did an Escape Room with a group of friends. It was fun, but maybe we overestimated our wits and should've imbibed a bit less before entering the room. We needed to use hints to escape. That was disappointing.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Fri Jan 26, 11:51 2018

Im a big Dragon Ball Z/Super fan. The new game comes out today, my wife gets off work late, and its friday. Hopefully its good, been waiting for it to come out for a few months now.

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Fri Feb 2, 20:20 2018

Stardew Valley
Starbound
Factorio
Helldivers
Don't starve
Stellaris
Hearts of Iron 4
Foxhole
Star Wars Empire at War
Tabletop Simulator
Garry's Mod.

Just to name a few. I think I have good tastes. Hit me up for.
"I was busy being two awesome things at once" ♀♂

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 4, 10:23 2018

phone games:
Flutter: starlight (learing about moths!)
Etherium (just started)
Monument Valley 2

I've played a lot of board games I should have paid attention to what they were called. There was one with mechas and stuff that I thought was fun, and another co-op sort of "escape the room" kind of game where you had a scenario and played through it? It involved a lot of fun puzzles. I think we all had some vital contribution that everyone else was like "nope never would have seen that!" which was cool.

We kind of fizzled out on Seafall. I'd like to finish, I mean I feel like we're sooo close to the end, but we all know there's a bit of grind to make it to the end and so there's this hump of oh but we could play other things that are more fun...
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Feb 4, 10:36 2018

^ We've reached a similar point in Pandemic: Legacy. We're just one or two meetings away from the end. We were stymied by an unclear rule. Then when that was resolved, one of the regular players had a baby. So maybe we'll finish this summer?

Lately I've been playing some Rust with a group of friends. You gather resources and try to survive the PvP. It is not a game I could play alone - too much killing-on-sight, too many racist trolls on the wrong servers.

I've also started Avernum 3, an indie game I've now played in three separate versions over 20 years. It's a fun, hard, well-written game that is like a downscaled version of Baldur's Gate.
Stardew Valley
Starbound
Factorio
Helldivers
Don't starve
Stellaris
Hearts of Iron 4
Foxhole
Star Wars Empire at War
Tabletop Simulator
Garry's Mod.
Wow, I've played Stardew Valley, Stellaris, HoI4, Foxhole, and Tabletop Simulator pretty recently. Specifically, I'm a big Paradox strategy fan, though I like their medieval, early modern, and sci-fi stuff better than their modern war-focused stuff. Economics, research, and social policies > war strategy these days for me.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 4, 10:40 2018

I heard Pandemic: Legacy is better designed and I think we might play that. If we get stuck I'll hit you up for help :P

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Sun Feb 4, 11:16 2018

Hubby and me brought ourselves a VR headset for our ps4 as a wedding gift to each-other. I cant believe it, its so good!

No joke, we loaded up a rollercoaster in VR video off youtube recently. Husband made my ride feel incredibly authentic- he ran off while I had the headset on and set up a fan and made "whoooooosh" noises :lol: Then we set him up in a game where you fly around on a unicorn and it made him throw up.

I'm blown away by technology these days. I've got every console from snes onwards in my collection and this new generation stuff is shit I used to dream about as a kid.

I play a lot of just casual games but hubby plays a lot of (I'm not telling you, he likes to hold his lb position in peace) now that he's home caring for me again. So glad I found me a big tough guy who loves to geek out sometimes <3
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Feb 4, 14:38 2018

rowan wrote:
Sun Feb 4, 10:40 2018
I heard Pandemic: Legacy is better designed and I think we might play that. If we get stuck I'll hit you up for help :P
Definitely worth a try! The one rule snag we hit was very specific and we had a clear reason for wanting to rules-lawyer just a bit. It didn't mar our enjoyment of the game.

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Tue Feb 6, 11:51 2018

rowan wrote:
Sun Feb 4, 10:23 2018
phone games:
Flutter: starlight (learing about moths!)
Etherium (just started)
Monument Valley 2

I've played a lot of board games I should have paid attention to what they were called. There was one with mechas and stuff that I thought was fun, and another co-op sort of "escape the room" kind of game where you had a scenario and played through it? It involved a lot of fun puzzles. I think we all had some vital contribution that everyone else was like "nope never would have seen that!" which was cool.

We kind of fizzled out on Seafall. I'd like to finish, I mean I feel like we're sooo close to the end, but we all know there's a bit of grind to make it to the end and so there's this hump of oh but we could play other things that are more fun...
I never mastered the more historical titles. But also, sonic, my computer is under repair and I would love if you have any mobile games my bae and I can play together.

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Tue Feb 6, 14:11 2018

Recently beat Xenoblade 2, which was great. Thinking of finally jumping into Persona 5.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Neko

Post by Neko » Thu Feb 8, 14:09 2018

Recently, as in a few months ago, West of Loathing. If you liked anything about Kingdom of Loathing, you might like the wild west version. It's silly and rewards your curiosity with absurdity. It's on Steam.

Recently, as in a few weeks, Danganronpa and Higurashi visual novel games. Without going into too much detail: Danganronpa is more interactive and you solve a series of murder mysteries. Higurashi has no real interactivity but creates a super creepy atmosphere using only text and background music. I already know the plot because I've watched the anime but I still have to take breaks because it's spooky.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Patterby

Post by Patterby » Thu Feb 8, 14:58 2018

I really need to look into danganronpa. And I watched markiplier play west of loathing. "WHAT'S THIS? ANOTHER SPITOON???"

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sat Feb 10, 13:44 2018

If I'm allowed to include games from a few months ago like Neko, we played a lot of "Nuns on the Run" in the U.S. The movement of the players, except the guards, is made unseen. Then people roll for noise with modifiers based on how quickly they were moving, and noises are indicated to the guards, allowing them to go off path toward the noise. Other players' placement is revealed if they're in line of sight of one of the guards, also allowing that guard to go off path. The provided rules are a bit terrible (not clearly written) but with enough understanding/experience of how games should work, we settled down some house rules that made the whole thing a lot of fun.

Otherwise, it's still cards or dominoes with the in-laws, or memory with the kid, but by the kid's rules where the matching tiles are placed next to each other on the board, and I get yelled at like I don't know how to play if I don't pick up a match each turn.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Feb 10, 23:20 2018

We played Talisman tonight so help me glod

T_Pearlharbor

Post by T_Pearlharbor » Sun Feb 18, 20:08 2018

Shadow of the Colossus and Secret of Mana. Apparently remakes but I didn't play the originals. Kind of disappointed the former seems to have the sole female character in such a boring role so far. Just another average knight in shining armor story.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Feb 19, 12:07 2018

Does "Pretend to be asleep when the kids ask for breakfast at 6:15 AM on a Saturday" count as a game?

:lol: :lol: :crying: :crying: I live/play vicariously through this thread.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Feb 19, 13:55 2018

How is the Secret of Mana remake? I've heard some negative opinions, but they may have been people who didn't like the original anyway.
rowan wrote: We played Talisman tonight so help me glod
Is that the one with all the dice?

--

We played Dairyman, which was a purchase on a whim. No reason why it has to be called "man" - all the tokens depict milk products. It's like a slightly more strategic Farkle - one can bank 2-3 dice that add up to 10 and then keep rolling remaining dice until you stop and procure milk or until you end up collecting a spoilage token. It was fun until the endgame - it's really hard to afford the most expensive milk, so we spent 15 minutes flailing until we figured out that our ice cream gave us special die-rolling powers.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Feb 19, 18:18 2018

Sonic# wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 13:55 2018
How is the Secret of Mana remake? I've heard some negative opinions, but they may have been people who didn't like the original anyway.
rowan wrote: We played Talisman tonight so help me glod
Is that the one with all the dice?
No, but it's the crawliest dungeon crawl and goes on forever like monopoly but with dungeon crawling as a board game until you want to stab your eyeballs out and I've dungeon crawled with the best of them. you roll a dice and an choose direction to go but then have to do what the cards say idk. It's ok for a while but it really just goes on forever and is more of the same.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Tue Mar 27, 14:24 2018

Lately Ive put down dragonball fighter z, grand theft auto 5, and street fighter 5 to master akuma on tekken 7.

They added some new final fantasy character and everyone online is abusing the hell out of his over the top moves. Even still my akuma will crush them.

Been beating up my co workers and people online. Akuma from streetfighter has been my guy on games (hes guest starred in a quite a few games) for quite some time. Hell, I am akuma. I cant wait till they release the street fighter collection and I can go back to playing the greatest 2d fighter of all time, street fighter 3, online. A new wave of fresh meat to pummel

Hakai suru!!!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Mar 27, 14:54 2018

It's been PC games for me lately. I've been replaying Final Fantasy X (good) and playing Sea of Thieves.

The latter has been fun with a few friends - you have a pirate ship and sail around doing missions and looting other pirates. It is charmingly hands-off as a game. Do I want to just play music and sail towards other ships? I can do that. Do I want to just find treasure by myself? I can do that. That said, I'm not sure how long a life the game has. The content may get repetitive after some time.