Job

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Bork

Job

Post by Bork » Wed Jan 3, 19:26 2018

I started a new job about two months, and I absolutely hate it. I am so miserable there. Despite having been there for two months, I have nothing to do. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Not even stupid little things that I don't want to do. I haven't been given any instructions or guidance or assignments or anything. It's sort of comical at this point, except the part where I sit at my desk trying not to cry because I feel so useless and invisible and frustrated.

Even when I am given stuff to do, it's little tiny projects that don't take more than a few hours. Or, they're projects that aren't really explained and I have to try and figure things out on my own based on other things that don't really help. It feels like trying to get from point A to point F, knowing they aren't linear points, and not having anything at all for guidance. My supervisor is so unapproachable when it comes to questions, and when I do ask her questions she doesn't really answer them.

The frustration really gets me the most, I think. I hate feeling that way, and it gets all pent up and ragey and I can physically feel it churning in my chest.

I was so hopeful about this job. I left my other job sort of on a whim, sort of because I was really fed up with things that would never ever change (and I don't regret leaving my old job, weirdly enough. Just hate being at the new one). I don't understand how I got things so wrong. I keep thinking back to my interview and wondering if maybe there were things that I had intentionally overlooked because I was excited about the opportunity, and I can't find anything.

I had signed a six month contract, but I'm already looking for other jobs. I can't sleep at night because I'm so stressed out about having to go to work and be miserable. I'm worried my friends are going to stop talking to me because all I do is complain about how unhappy I am at work. This is so bad for my mental health, but I can't not go in because otherwise I won't get paid. I'm also discovering that I really hate contract work, so next job is definitely going to have to be FT.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

octarineoboe

Re: Job

Post by octarineoboe » Wed Jan 3, 19:50 2018

oh no :( here's hoping you find something better soon.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Jan 3, 20:09 2018

That really sucks. It sounds like they don't value you, or at the very least they don't know how to treat you like a professional.

How do you think they'd react if you were, say, taking an online course while at work? Or cruising for jobs?

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Jan 3, 21:22 2018

I've been pretty blatantly job hunting at work and nobody's said anything. Nobody's said anything about me sitting around on Twitter all day either.

That's part of what bothers me - I sit around with nothing to do and everyone else seems to have so much work. I feel like such a slacker, and I feel as though I look like a super awful employee. I can't even find stuff for myself to do at this point that makes it sort of look like I'm working, because I'm super new and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing and I don't even know what everyone else does so I think anything that I would come up with for myself is already being done by someone else. I really don't understand why I was hired.

Have discovered that coming home and blasting power ballads loudly makes me feel better though. Sorry neighbors! (not sorry at all. they're hella loud all the time)

SimpleMan

Post by SimpleMan » Thu Jan 4, 1:07 2018

I am not trying to be funny here... you seriously should do your job...

You have to know what they hired you for, what is your job experience? what is your education? you have to have an idea of what to do...

Nobody is going to train you, probably they don't even know how to do it, that is why they hired you in the first place...

Other employees don't care you are in twitter all day, they are not your supervisor, they don't know what your job is... maybe they think your job is to do something on twitter?

Probably you're waiting for someone to tell you what to do... clearly that is not going to happen... so... just go ahead and start doing something productive... at least half of the time...

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Thu Jan 4, 7:44 2018

Ugh. Been there. At my worst job I was wondering if catching The Plague in this day and age would kill me, because if not, I would definitely prefer that to work.

If you are fairly certain this job is a no-go and you will be moving on as soon as you have the chance, maybe bypass your immediate supervisor as far as guidance and direction goes, and see if you can bum work off of other colleagues. People who have a higher standing and/or more job security are more likely to be willing to offload some tasks on you. Go to them instead of your thoroughly ineffective boss. It would be sweet if when the time comes from you to end your contract, you can leave a hole in your boss's group.

In the meantime, until these 4 months are over, get yourself a hobby so that you can talk about that to your friends before they delete you from their phones. :P

Hope things get better soon.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Jan 4, 13:08 2018

I'm sorry Bork. I suppose, since it's contract work, you can look forward to the end of contract.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Jan 4, 14:11 2018

Ugh I had a job like that once, they hired five of us and gave us nothing to do, all the time saying "oh work will be coming "soon"" whatever that meant. I left after 6 mo and did something awesome. So here's hoping you find something awesome. :)

Really weird that it's contract and they haven't told you anything. Usually contract means hired for a specific thing? I suppose you could ask coworkers around you if they need help getting something done?

Feel free to whine at me whenever, but only if you let me whine back at you about my own job search. :P
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Thu Jan 4, 14:39 2018

sorry to read that :(
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Thu Jan 4, 16:43 2018

I agree that it might help to ask your colleagues if you can help them with anything. At least it might give you a sense of purpose. Also just keep counting down the days... four months might seem like a long time but it'll really be over soon. It sucks that you're in this situation but I'm sure you'll find something way better when it's done.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Thu Jan 4, 19:13 2018

That sounds pretty bad. Having nothing to do can be so draining lol

I used to have a desk job, a long time ago I was a computer tech at a school. The only problem is that when there were no tech problems or only minor quick problems, I was super bored. Time goes so slow when you really have nothing to do, you really do sometimes feel every minute.

So I switched to labor work. After 14 years of doing labor work, I got tired of doing labor lol. Now Im half desk and half labor with a decent workload, not too much not to little.

I hope you find something that suits you better.

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri Jan 5, 20:15 2018

Skeezy wrote:
Thu Jan 4, 19:13 2018
That sounds pretty bad. Having nothing to do can be so draining lol
It's EXHAUSTING. Plus, I'm extra tired because I can't sleep at night because I'm so stressed out, anxious and upset about work.

I've sort of been given stuff to work on this week, which has been nice, but they're individual little projects that aren't really well explained so it's mostly been completing something to the best extent of my ability... and then having to wait and wait and wait for my supervisor to get back to me. I really like what I'm getting to work on, when I get to work on things, and I'm definitely learning a lot of new things which is nice. I just can't stand not being productive.

Rowan, you are ALWAYS welcome to whine at me about anything!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Jan 21, 14:21 2018

I'm sorry Bork, I've had jobs like that as well and they are THE WORST! I ended up helping my colleagues with their work in the end and it turned out they had all been in similar situations at the beginning too. Not working while working is bad, I can understand why your mental health is suffering. Being a grown up sucks sometimes!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.