Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Post Reply
tomokun
member
member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 5, 10:18 2013

Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by tomokun » Thu Jan 4, 18:09 2018

So, occasionally I get really into the weeds on a topic, and today was no different. I came across a video of Ben Shapiro Shapiroing Transgender issues... and I just had to rip it apart.

This is one of those rare moments where I'm fairly confident that I'm "with" the forum on my position. It's my first draft of the article, and I'd love it if you guys would help me enhance it, provide more citations, and generally make it more accurate, etc.

In particular, I really dislike Shapiro. The dude's a "master debater", but he's dishonest as shit. His fanboys are insufferable, and I'm pretty convinced that any piece which thoroughly debunks his sneaky arguments qualifies as good karma points.

Anyhoo here's the article. Trigger Warning, it has a video with Ben Shapiro Shapiroing and I quote him a lot. https://taooftomo.com/debunking-ben-sha ... 9b090116e1

Any and all criticisms are welcome, especially if they come with citations that I can add to the piece. Fair warning... it's.. very long. But to be fair, there's no way to concisely debunk that ahole.

Pikachu
member
member
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 9:22 2016

Re: Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by Pikachu » Sat Jan 6, 10:35 2018

Sam Harris is a master debater. Ben Shapiro is a meme.

Shapirowned!!

User avatar
Aum
member
member
Posts: 3102
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 23:35 2007
Location: Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Re: Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by Aum » Sun Jan 7, 1:11 2018

He uses a lot of the classic techniques, like strawmen, bait and switch, slippery slope, and changing the goalposts. Like comparing a trans person to someone who's 20 claiming they're 60, or a white person saying they're black. As if any of that really happens. He just says it with such conviction that it's believable, and I don't think a lot of his fans really factcheck his statements.

That's the problem with debate skills. You can turn any point into a winner no matter how superfluous. You don't have to be accurate you just have to adequately disarm your opponent until they stop challenging you, which makes you *seem* correct. He went to law school so what do you expect.

In a court of law his rubbish would never stand up to scrutiny. Though I have to say when he gets his nose out of social politics and talks more about the economy, domestic and foreign policy, I agree with him a lot.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

User avatar
melsbells
member
member
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 6:45 2014
Location: Finland

Re: Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by melsbells » Sun Jan 7, 3:49 2018

Who is your audience for this piece? It isn't fresh in my mind, so I would have to go back for more specifics. There were a few typos, but what I remember still is writing "Chapel" instead of "Chapelle" and that example also seems like a strange (read: not actually a) contrast. Is there a reason you left out XXX from you list of gene variants? Shapiro uses "transgenderism" as a slur, it's a bit off putting to me when you repeat it as though it's not one.

tomokun
member
member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 5, 10:18 2013

Re: Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by tomokun » Mon Jan 8, 10:16 2018

melsbells wrote:
Sun Jan 7, 3:49 2018
Who is your audience for this piece? It isn't fresh in my mind, so I would have to go back for more specifics. There were a few typos, but what I remember still is writing "Chapel" instead of "Chapelle" and that example also seems like a strange (read: not actually a) contrast. Is there a reason you left out XXX from you list of gene variants? Shapiro uses "transgenderism" as a slur, it's a bit off putting to me when you repeat it as though it's not one.
No specific audience, I just wrote it so that I could have a reference for Shapiro's nonsense on transgender issues, same as I had with his nonsense on BLM.

Typos: *nods* Yeah, it's literally my first draft, so typos will get fixed over time. I'll fix the Chapelle reference, thanks, lol. I just saw the special, so it was on my mind, that's pretty much the only reason it was in there.

I left out XXX because it wasn't listed in the source I copied it from. I should probably put that whole section in "quotes" since that's technically what that was. I referenced the source, but I guess its unclear. I'll look up XXX and add it to the list though - does that make it 7 karyotypes then?

I wasn't aware that "transgenderism" is a slur actually. When he said it, I didn't think anything of it - I'd love it if you could unpack this for me (or give me a link which does) just so that I can understand it more fully.
Aum wrote:
Sun Jan 7, 1:11 2018
He uses a lot of the classic techniques, like strawmen, bait and switch, slippery slope, and changing the goalposts. Like comparing a trans person to someone who's 20 claiming they're 60, or a white person saying they're black. As if any of that really happens. He just says it with such conviction that it's believable, and I don't think a lot of his fans really factcheck his statements.

That's the problem with debate skills. You can turn any point into a winner no matter how superfluous. You don't have to be accurate you just have to adequately disarm your opponent until they stop challenging you, which makes you *seem* correct. He went to law school so what do you expect.

In a court of law his rubbish would never stand up to scrutiny. Though I have to say when he gets his nose out of social politics and talks more about the economy, domestic and foreign policy, I agree with him a lot.
Completely agree. Didn't know he went to law school, but that makes sense. I suppose I could make "Logical Fallacy" Bingo cards for Ben Shapiro. :p
Pikachu wrote:
Sat Jan 6, 10:35 2018
Sam Harris is a master debater. Ben Shapiro is a meme.

Shapirowned!!
LMAO, love it, and totally agree.

User avatar
geldofc
member
member
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Apr 3, 2:00 2016
Location: California

Re: Debunking Ben Shapiro Transgender claims

Post by geldofc » Thu Jan 11, 16:02 2018

he looks and sounds like a complete douchebag. and idk why his boring masculine identity hinges on how completely different men and women are and that's about as far as i would like to read or react to his opinions.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Post Reply