US Politics making Global waves.

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Mordak

US Politics making Global waves.

Post by Mordak » Thu Jan 18, 3:08 2018

Dunno where to bring up something like this that wouldn't result in upsetting the great sky gods, but.... how are ya'll coping with having the GOP back in power? The world feels all sticky and toxic with this wanker trying to lead the free world. It's like the world's been shook and divided and people are heading to extremism instead of common sense when it comes to making statements, political or otherwise.

Trump is marching us to the end of the world and no one in power anywhere is strong enough alone to stuff a gimp mask over this idiots face to get him to shut up. I miss being able to rant about politics and idealisms without getting the "stfu you're just a woman you don't know shit" thing. It happens in real life just as much as it happens online. Reddit is a clusterfuck of teenagers all trying to understand what only some adults can truly grasp and understand. I miss being all feral and hippie like I used to be cos now that means I must be an off my chops left wing extremist druggie.

I returned to my home town and used my husbands name and everyone thought I was a nazi instead of one of the freedom fighters from the outback club.

What the hecking heck is going on with all this? How can we make a difference to help? I feel like we've all been handed some impossible task that some wanker's gonna try and solve with the sword of Damocles.
Seasons don't fear the reaper... but everyone else fucking does. #metoomanytimes
:australia: :australia: :australia: :drool: :schoolbus:

Skeezy

Re: US Politics making Global waves.

Post by Skeezy » Thu Jan 18, 11:05 2018

Well I believe part of the problem is, people see whats going on but everyone, group wise, is too divided to really do something.

Ive seen tv ads that talk about impeaching trump and ask for help, which is a good start. Doesnt seem like it will actually happen unless he goes too far, which looks like it will happen.

The honesty of it all is he is a simpleton. He is exposing backround racial tensions just by being himself. This honestly needs to happen as america as a people need to stop trying to move past racism without confronting it, that doesn't work. Trump is only one man of many.

The people also lack a real leader to stand up, gather, organize and speak. Without serious coordination as opposition they can just keep going till they crash.

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Thu Jan 18, 11:30 2018

That's what's causing me the most confusion. I thought the USA's democrats would have pulled their fingers out and done something by now but they're only JUST starting to topple the house of cards. I saw Bannon has been subpoenaed. I danced around my house for all of you. I'm not from the USA but we had Tony Abbott and now another liberal leader (liberal = right wing here in upsidedown land) and we're still trying to clean up the mess. We got same sex marriage finally legalised but they closed down heaps of little schools and got rid of a lot of social services. I see that Trump and the GOP are doing pretty much the same thing.

If Trump misses the times when the USA was an isolationist country, he can have them back. We've got room for you guys here, so long as you like deserts and sheep.
Seasons don't fear the reaper... but everyone else fucking does. #metoomanytimes

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Jan 18, 19:11 2018

It's exhausting. There are so many things to try and keep track of, and it's so hard to avoid getting sucked into the insanely outrageous things going on - those things are just distractions for quiet dismantling of a civilized society. There's barely any coverage of how many batshit crazy, right-wing nutjob judges are being appointed to various (and lifelong!) positions because we're all too busy talking about how Trump likes to be spanked with a magazine that has his face on it. Or because the NY Times insists on interviewing everyone who voted for Trump to see how they feel about things. Nobody is willing to draw any sort of line, so things just get more and more ridiculous. All the GOP does it lie about everything so people will keep voting for them. Trump is far from the only issue with that party.

I always get confused and forget that your liberal is our right wing.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Thu Jan 18, 22:35 2018

That's what scares me most. Trump honestly hasn't got any power. If he did, we'd all have been fubard by now. He's like a stool pigeon so the rest of the GOP can run around behind him fucking things up even more, and in secret while the media just spins "Today Trump did a poo and ate a steak" like it's the most important thing we need to know right now. There's so much more we, as the people who have to deal with these politicians, deserve to know.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sat Jan 20, 20:11 2018

it sucks seeing trump's repulsive face all the time but his actions are similar to a lot of leftist men around and that's hilarious and comforting to me. they all share the same blank look on their face too. fuck. :dance2:
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Sat Jan 20, 23:56 2018

I in no way see him acting like any of the leftist people I know, read about or hang out with. Anti-fascism is very important. Especially when you're older and know what happens when the fascists get a helping hand from people higher up on the food chain. Fingers crossed this government shutdown you guys are having up there in the USA creates real progress and hope for all the world.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 23, 14:59 2018

Mordak wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 3:08 2018
how are ya'll coping
I'd say drinking but if I start I'll never stop

need to call my senators a-freaking-gain
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Plotthickens

Post by Plotthickens » Tue Jan 23, 15:45 2018

I'm betting $.25 that the Democrats are waiting until/unless they're in control of both Houses to push for impeachment. In the meantime they're trying to just fucking do their jobs, and letting the GOP's illegal acts, sins, and unconstitutional bullshit come to light.

Or, at least, this BETTER be the fucking plan.
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Jan 23, 18:59 2018

If that's the plan, I'm going to be so angry. That's a fucking bullshit ineffective plan because apparently nobody gives a shit about the unconstitutional and illegal bullshit that's going on. Plus, so many people are suffering while all of that happens.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue Jan 23, 20:11 2018

Trump is an expert at slight of hand. The public is effectively distracted and divided while he wrecks the country for his own benefit #1 and his party's benefit #2. Sad to see. I think we are in for some dark times ahead, long-term ones. The institution of western democracy is at a cross-roads.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Tue Jan 23, 20:43 2018

rowan wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 14:59 2018
Mordak wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 3:08 2018
how are ya'll coping
I'd say drinking but if I start I'll never stop
shit were we supposed to have stopped?
but seriously...I don't know. Life goes on? Everything is terrible and we might die but also everday life is normal and you can take a few minutes to call your senators/representatives as much as possible? There are also progressive groups working really hard to win at the local and state levels. I'd like to get more involved than I currently am.

And the other thing...Hillary won the popular vote by a margin of almost three million. The states are gerrymandered as fuck because the republicans KNOW that the fair numbers are not in their favor. It's a lot for us to overcome but those raw numbers help me continue to have some faith in my fellow citizens.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 23, 21:57 2018

Honestly I agree that wrecking the country is like, their whole point. Not just Trump but the whole GOP.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Plotthickens

Post by Plotthickens » Wed Jan 24, 11:45 2018

Bork wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 18:59 2018
If that's the plan, I'm going to be so angry. That's a fucking bullshit ineffective plan because apparently nobody gives a shit about the unconstitutional and illegal bullshit that's going on. Plus, so many people are suffering while all of that happens.
Nobody gives a shit about all of this? The Democrats don't have a single bit of power and yet they're trying to impeach Trump, squash all the stupid Russia-backed bullshit against Mueller, protect Dreamers, keep the country running, and take care of all the other shit that's popping up. The Rs are blocking them at every turn and shitting on whatever achievements they could achieve. Meanwhile, Trump is executive-order signing away everything he can to the Russians, which the Dems can't do a single thing to change. What, exactly, should they be doing?
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Jan 24, 13:45 2018

Ugh. In view of the grander scheme of things, my fixations are petty. But one of my daily struggles with current politics, which is definitely not on a global scale, is not holding my neighbors and my co-workers personally responsible for the actions coming from the White House. Every time I see the latest moronic tweet, I think of my now-not-so-close coworker who tried to pull the "I don't approve of the person, but I had to vote with my [anti-choice] values... but we can still be friends, right?" crap. No, I don't think we can still be friends. You exasperate me with your unwillingness to acknowledge, "Hey, this mess is partially on me! And when your kids don't get to enjoy national parks the same way we did, that's partially on me, too. And all those kids without health insurance now? Me..." And so on.

In any case, that's about as much politics as I can handle in this ruby red state of mine without losing my lid or losing friends. However, in the last year, I have contacted my state representatives for the first time in my life about issues important to me, and I have made first-time donations to a number of social justice organizations to which I had not donated before, so I guess it's not all a loss.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.