Workplace email greeting etiquette

Moderator: Zeph

DarkOne

Workplace email greeting etiquette

Post by DarkOne » Fri Feb 2, 8:52 2018

Just out of curiosity, what greeting do you use at the top of informal emails meant for multiple co-workers? How about your co-workers? Here at work I see anything from gender-neutral "Colleagues" or "Team", to a more informal but still inclusive "Folks", to "Guys" and even "Gentlemen" in emails including women. I saw a "Dudes and Dudettes" once. Which made me curious about the general culture. What do you spacefemmers (see what I did there? :)) do? What do your colleagues do?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

melsbells

Re: Workplace email greeting etiquette

Post by melsbells » Fri Feb 2, 9:08 2018

When I last worked in that sort of setting, group emails often started "All," or if they were from our boss, it often started "Friends," which says a whole lot about the atmosphere and maybe hints at how our boss was less effective than he could have been. When I personally sent group emails from my position, I'm not sure that I addressed them at the top at all. I probably jumped in with a "We have a busy week ahead of us" or something like that.

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Fri Feb 2, 9:11 2018

Just start it with "AAAAAAY BITCH". That's how I start all my letters to my support team.

Lol, jk.... I don't work, and I haven't for a long time. I'm permanently disabled and my husband has been my legal carer since 2013. But that is what I write on most of our shopping lists and budgeting sheets.
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Feb 2, 10:27 2018

Well, let me look at what I've done in a university setting.

"Hey all" is a pretty standard greeting, especially if I don't want to invoke a hierarchy. (They're a mixed group.)
"Hi class," "Hi tutors," and so on is useful if they all can be represented by some nice role-related noun.
I've seen colleagues, team, or folks before. I haven't seen much use of gendered titles, save for "guys," which is [arguably] gender-inclusive.

I've also seen leaving the option out or making for a minimalist option ("Hey").

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Feb 2, 13:19 2018

Hello All, or Hi Everybody, is what I normally used.
I once was E-mailing with the Shipping Manager and he forwarded he correspondence for some reason and started it with "Lols, check this out guys"

Bonus, when talking to a customer everyone ended with Kind Regards, Name. Until we started getting pissed off and then we'd end with Regards, Name. So if someone else took over the correspondence they'd know we became frustrated. Not terribly subtle but no one ever said anything about it.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 2, 17:21 2018

This is a good question. I seriously struggle with this one. I think I've used All, and in less formal emails Hi everyone, or hi all,. It always feels awkward though. I've seen some co-workers use ladies or guys (it's basically only women at my office) but I'm not sure how I feel about those.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Feb 2, 21:32 2018

I've quit so many jobs (like 2 liquor stores, 1 grocery store, etc) lately and now I'm trying to teach myself computer stuff. Because working deadend jobs made me feel like I was dying and then I get addicted to being sad and shitposting and other things.

I've worked in 2 offices and that also made me feel like I was dying and then there's like one awful old person who is loud and rules the office. If I still worked in one, I would probably use "Hi all" I guess.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Bork

Post by Bork » Sat Feb 3, 13:16 2018

I usually start emails like that with Hello, or Hi all, to keep it both casual and gender neutral. Sometimes Hey, but that would depend on who all was in the group I was emailing.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 4, 10:26 2018

Sometimes I just use "Hi," or sometimes "Hey all," if I'm being extra informal, or "Hey everyone" if it's a little more formal but still informal. Sometimes I just don't include the greeting part and just jump straight into the email.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Sun Feb 4, 11:04 2018

If you have enough people in your workplace who like the simpsons, HELLO EVERYBODY! (HI DR NICK!) works great as well. We had it as a kind of in-joke at the nursing home I used to work at. Especially with young, new staff who we would train up as carers.

The hip bone's connected to the ... wristwatch?!
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Feb 4, 17:01 2018

If I am sending an email to the team of chefs (the group of people I most frequently email) I start with "Chefs," if I am including others on the team as well I start "Everyone,". If it's to just a couple of people I might just use their names, for example, "Jose and Mary,". I don't usually put hello or good morning or anything. Everyone I email gets tons of emails and I try to be utilitarian, though I do try to put "thank you" at the end.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

MFS

Post by MFS » Wed Feb 7, 14:02 2018

when I send an email at work, I pretty much don't slap in a greeting - wasted text. If you care who is included in the audience, read the recipient list. I get right to the point and say whatever it is I have to say. If you can't figure out that I'm talking to you, you probably shoudn't be using email.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie