Hey so that was terrifying

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Enigma

Hey so that was terrifying

Post by Enigma » Tue Feb 13, 16:54 2018

I was just crossing the road this afternoon at a normal pace, the walk light was on, everything was well lit, no weather or glare of any kind. But some asshole thought his need to quickly make a left turn was more important than my safety, or maybe he just didn't see me (although his speed implied to me he was trying to rush to get ahead of me), and I had to actually jump back to avoid getting hit at high speed by some dick in a sedan. I thought for a moment his back tires might still go over my toes. I'm sick of this shit. Drivers, people are not cars. Give every human you drive past a huge cushion because if you fuck up and hit them they might die. If you hit another car at road speed that it might ruin your day but if you hit a human because you misjudge or they fall down you might fucking kill them.

It's worth noting that it's actually illegal here to make a left turn when there's a person anywhere on the crosswalk. But no one waits.

Normally I'm way more cautious than average and watch each left turner carefully as I cross but today I just had a shit day and crossed the street like a normal person and had a friggin near-death experience. For fucks sake.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Bork

Re: Hey so that was terrifying

Post by Bork » Tue Feb 13, 18:54 2018

This is so scary. I'm so glad that you're physically okay. I walk everywhere, and those moments when you have near misses like that are so terrifying.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Tue Feb 13, 20:31 2018

I remember once having a van do something similar while I was crossing the street in the middle of the night. They were so close that I pushed off the side of them with my hands when I jumped back. Scared the bejeezus out of me (and thank God I was just tired and not paying enough attention to my surroundings and not inebriated or they probably would have actually clipped me)

People here are always talking about the war on cars and how that's not a thing anyone wants. Except I totally want to walk around with a paint gun shooting at stupid cars.

I mean, I know the cars aren't sentient, but I don't want to shoot someone in control of a large motor vehicle, even if it is just a paint ball.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Feb 13, 20:43 2018

Drivers are horrible, and I say this as a driver. :(
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Feb 20, 3:06 2018

People seriously do not have enough respect when they are operating a vehicle. I hate driving partially because I'm really uncomfortable with the fact that behind the wheel you have the power to kill someone, just because maybe you're not paying attention or you're tired or you're in a hurry to get home after a long day. You have to be super vigilant when you're driving because it's not just YOUR safety, it's the safety of everyone else in the street. I get so frustrated because I feel like no one understands that. It sounds really scary what happened to you! I hope that person felt terrible and is more careful in the future, or runs over a fire hydrant and gets their license suspended or something.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Tue Feb 20, 9:46 2018

Sorry to hear that and Im glad your ok.

People suck. I travel west to east and back every weekday in my city and I see so many accidents. One day I witnessed a similar situation. On a one way street and sitting at a red light, there was a bus in the left lane waiting to turn. The light turned green but the buss didnt move. The asshole behind the bus decided to go around it and make the turn. The bus was stopped because someone was crossing. He drove around, hit the person and drove off. Almost every pedestrian came running up to see if the guy was ok.

I drive fast but always alert usually at least 10 miles over the speed limit. I see assholes fly past me headed towards street light ridden. heavy populated areas and Im like dumbass, this is when you should be slowing down.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Fri Feb 23, 14:58 2018

I don't understand the culture that makes it so that I've known multiple people who were hit by cars as pedestrians with the right of way, in a cross walk, at a red light. Here people tease me for being overly cautious about crossing streets, and I have yet to stop being amazing by the cars that stop due to noticing someone standing at a crosswalk.