Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Do you believe in ghosts?

Post by spacebot » Mon Feb 26, 2:05 2018

Do you believe in ghosts?

Taurwen

Re: Do you believe in ghosts?

Post by Taurwen » Mon Feb 26, 8:42 2018

I'm not going to answer. But I have a great story.

I have a friend who used to work at a historical site. One day we were watching one of those ghost story shows and her former work place came up. She thought that was weird as she hadn't heard of anything when she worked there so we turned it up.
The story was of a tall blond man in period clothing who would skulk around and whenever anyone spoke to him he would turn around and disappear.
My friend started laughing and saying "Oh my God! It's Thom!"
Turns out the place employed a gentleman who was pretty high on the autism spectrum. He did his job really well but didn't like talking to people so whenever anyone said anything to him he'd just look at them for a second then retreat to the basement of whatever the nearest building was. He knew all the exits and such so it often seemed like he disappeared.

Not a ghost story. But a story about a ghost story.

(Thom was not the guy's real name)

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Feb 26, 10:12 2018

Here's my ghost story: One night while I was in school, living by myself, I woke up in the middle of the night to the feeling of someone sitting on my back, weighing me down, "walking" their fingers up my side, from my back/hip, all the way to my shoulder blade. I couldn't breathe from the weight, could not scream. When the weight lifted and I was finally able to flip over, my studio was empty. It. Was. Terrifying. I turned all the lights on, lost my sleep the rest of that night, and had all the lights on the night after. My sciency brain had no idea what had happened, but my more fanciful side was all "stupid damned ghosts :bomb:". On the 2nd day after, I randomly caught a documentary on sleep paralysis. It ruined my ghost story, but it probably saved my sanity.
Last edited by DarkOne on Mon Feb 26, 19:40 2018, edited 1 time in total.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Feb 26, 11:17 2018

I don't.

That said, I'm willing to accept that people's gut feelings about places can pick up on inexplicably subtle signals and create the feeling of being haunted. I've certainly been in places that have felt weighty or off, only to learn that someone had died there. There may be any number of selection biases involved in that too though.

Aum

Post by Aum » Mon Feb 26, 17:29 2018

I grew up in a haunted house. It's not even a belief, just a fact of life for my family.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Mon Feb 26, 17:34 2018

usually no but I like talking about them with people that do.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Feb 26, 17:54 2018

In theory no.. but when I hear a good ghost story or something thunks when I'm home alone I find that logic doesn't really factor into it.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Tue Feb 27, 8:13 2018

I believe its possible and some people believe they have noticed paranormal activity.

I also believe a lot of reports are bogus.

So no, I dont believe in ghosts but am still open to the possibility of being wrong.

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Tue Feb 27, 10:17 2018

@DarkOne I get sleep paralysis too! Fuck that shit up the arse with a spanner. They reckon it can be a type of seizure sometimes. Go get it checked if it happens a lot.

_____

As for the question, I am a spoooooky scaaaary ghost :lol: :lol:
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

MFS

Post by MFS » Wed Feb 28, 0:25 2018

spacebot haunts me
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Feb 28, 5:43 2018

Mordak wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 10:17 2018
@DarkOne I get sleep paralysis too! Fuck that shit up the arse with a spanner. They reckon it can be a type of seizure sometimes. Go get it checked if it happens a lot.
bleeerrggh. It's so freaky. Even if I know what it is, it's still sucks WHILE it's happening.
Huh, I hadn't realized they could be related to seizures! I've only had it happen a few more times since that first time, and only once since I finished school. I'm hoping it was stress- or sleep deprivation-related, but if it picks up again I'll bring it up with my doctor. Uugh it really is super scary though.

^^ Accurate depiction of sleep paralysis. Creepy horse and all.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Wed Feb 28, 11:31 2018

In Newfoundland sleep paralysis was known as being visited by the Old Hag. A folklorist once did a study on it (Before it was widely known) and then toured around talking about it. Everywhere he went people would come up to him after the talk to be like "I have that and never knew! I thought I was going crazy!"
I believe he wrote another paper on how even if people didn't know it was a medical thing having a name for it and being able to say something even as scary as "The old hag visited me last night" really helped them cope.

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Feb 28, 12:58 2018

Being visited by the Old Hag, I really like that.

I don't really believe in ghosts, but I kind of want to.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Thu Mar 1, 9:00 2018

I like the old hag name as well. It's so freaky, not being able to move or scream or even make a sound. Bodies are weird as fuck.

I like to think something hangs around after we die. There's too much weird coincidence shit that goes on that cant be explained yet, in my opinion. I'm a woman of science but some stuff just doesn't make sense.
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Thu Mar 1, 15:14 2018

Almost forgot.

The closest I can say Ive come to anything supernatural is sexsomnia which has only to my knowledge happened 4 times but i honestly dont know how many times its happened.

I blame my subconscious but the fact I apparently have full motor skills while Im asleep is a scary thought. So scary because I wouldnt have fully believed it if I hadnt woke up during it the last time while moving and clearly something is in full control while I'm asleep and its more sexually aggressive than I am.

Now Im afraid to fall asleep next to anyone but my wife as I dont know what I might do while asleep. She has fought me off in my sleep (she said it wasnt too hard which is good) but sometimes she gives in which is kind of funny cause I get a tad jealous of myself lol

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Thu Mar 1, 16:14 2018

I get that too. At this point I sound like a broken record, but I always just had a conversation with someone before sleeping with them. It's a pretty simple spiel "Hey, just so you know, I sometimes become sexual aggressive while sleeping. I've always been easy to shove off if you're not feeling it and I'm okay with you going with the flow if you want. That being said you will have to take point with a condom because I won't.
If you're uncomfortable with that I totally understand and I don't have to sleep here tonight."
Done and Done.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Thu Mar 1, 17:09 2018

@taurwen

I know Ive brought it up before. I must have missed that you do it to or it slipped my memory. I noticed mine tends to kick in, if I havent had sex for a while. Its wierd cause its like a gradual wake up to a wtf....ok. Usually I wake up near the end. Once I woke up near the beginning and I was on top kissing and sucking on her neck like a madman. I have really mixed feelings about it.

I say its my subconscious ...but what if it weren't? What if its possession ? I mean I cant say that its not lol definitely isnt my consciousness. Its also a type of aggression Ive always been timid about. I usually feel things out, not just pounce.

Its also wierd because a more aggressive ex I had back in the day. She loved torole play and one time was that I had a split personality named damien (who was a demon) who would just take it..

12 years later Im taking it in my sleep.

Mind you sexsomnia is only something Ive become conscious of in the past 4 years. Its not like Ive been like this since puberty.

Thats what makes me open to the idea of it being paranormal but I still dont believe in that stuff necessarily

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Mar 2, 12:56 2018

I'm sorry Skeezy, that must be really creepy for you. I knew what it was happening and how to address it so it never really bothered me. I do find it odd that to my knowledge I don't sleep walk or anything.