Took Zumba for the first time

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Unvoiced_Apollo

Took Zumba for the first time

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Mar 8, 21:28 2018

I decided I wasn't getting enough cardio and really wanted to throw all aspects of my comfort zone for a loop...hence Zumba.

It does feel a little weird being the only guy in class, but I'll just have to get over it and have fun. Last week was my first and yesterday the third time. It's fun and a great lead in to my Body Pump class. Just have to figure out the male equivalent of those hip moves 🤣

Bork

Re: Took Zumba for the first time

Post by Bork » Thu Mar 8, 22:04 2018

I go to exercise classes a lot, and I've always found the gender imbalance interesting. I guess it makes sense, since my assumption would be that women feel less comfortable than men working out on their own. This one time there were 4 dudes in my spin class of ~25, which remains a record.

I've never tried Zumba - I'm horribly uncoordinated and feel super awkward dancing. Is it very dance oriented, or is that a misconception?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Mar 8, 22:23 2018

Bork wrote:
Thu Mar 8, 22:04 2018
I go to exercise classes a lot, and I've always found the gender imbalance interesting. I guess it makes sense, since my assumption would be that women feel less comfortable than men working out on their own. This one time there were 4 dudes in my spin class of ~25, which remains a record.

I've never tried Zumba - I'm horribly uncoordinated and feel super awkward dancing. Is it very dance oriented, or is that a misconception?
I've heard it depends on the instructor, but all the classes I've taken are dance oriented. That said, I feel very awkward physically as well as mentally doing it. It might actually be beneficial for coordination really.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Mar 9, 0:31 2018

I've only gone to yoga, pilates, and spin classes at my gym. Spin makes me sweat a ton. I love yoga and like doing it by myself in their studio but the classes do help me with doing certain poses better, esp if the instructor is interactive.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Mar 9, 8:16 2018

I just hope if the women don't see my smiling as lascivious. I'm really just laughing at myself doing this class with the rhythm of an epileptic rhino.🤣

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Mar 9, 9:18 2018

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Fri Mar 9, 8:16 2018
I just hope if the women don't see my smiling as lascivious. I'm really just laughing at myself doing this class with the rhythm of an epileptic rhino.🤣
I think as long as you don't go "giggity giggity", you'll be fine. People in a Zumba class enjoy some fun and informality in their cardio routine, and tend to have more relaxed and welcoming attitudes. Dancing (even if in solo-workout mode) is usually a social exercise. (I'm thinking in contrast with a spin class, where the attitude seems to be more hardcore mind-your-own-business-and-shuddupp-while-I-cycle-to-the-top-of-the-world-on-my-stationary-bicycle. Spin class is so intimidating to me.)

Hope it sticks! I need to go back. I like it for the music. :)
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Mar 9, 20:31 2018

DarkOne wrote:
Fri Mar 9, 9:18 2018

I think as long as you don't go "giggity giggity",
Damn, no wonder I was getting weird stares...j/k. Though I was wringing my hands because of the awkwardnes.

But it's sticking. I'm actually trying to figure out if I want to take the class tomorrow. I'd like to do it with yoga but they're spaced out too far apart.

Also, I noticed I was a bit looser with my karaoke performance last night. I think the Zumba definitely helped. Do you suppose that's what they mean by crosstraining?