Knee Surgery

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Bork

Knee Surgery

Post by Bork » Thu May 10, 19:36 2018

Well shit. Apparently my knee is super fucked up and I'm having surgery on Wednesday. Surgeon says he wishes he could go back in time and operate two or three weeks ago. My meniscus tore, and then flipped over itself really badly, which is why I still (almost five weeks later) can't straighten my knee. Procedure for the meniscus only has about a 70% success rate, and that's in cases where surgery isn't delayed by five and a half weeks THANKS A LOT INSURANCE AND STUPID US HEALTH CARE BULLSHIT. I think he said "you need surgery ASAP" at least seven times in the maybe twenty minutes I met with him.

It's also seeming highly likely that I'm going to need my ACL repaired as well. From the MRI it doesn't look like it's torn, but based on what it does look like, what it feels like (knees aren't supposed to be super wiggly, I guess), the damage to the knee bones and the other injuries it seems likely that it's messed up too. The percentage he estimated was 80-96%, so I'm not very optimistic that it's okay.

MCL is also torn, but apparently that's fine and will fix itself. Fucking ACLs.

I'm so mad and upset, mostly about how long this has taken to be evaluated and to get a fix. I haven't really been using my crutches, but I found out today that that's bad and I really shouldn't be putting any weight on my knee at all because it's running the risk of fucking up my meniscus even more. Crutches are insanely uncomfortable and hard to get around on. Like, WTF. When I was a kid, I thought they'd be totally fun! THEY NOT, CHILD BORK, NOT AT ALL. YOU WERE SO WRONG. The only benefit is that I always get to sit down on the bus, but that's totally not worth it. I'm frustrated because this was such a stupid way to hurt my knee. I keep think that if I had only taken an extra two seconds to slow down and not twist my knee I'd be fine right now. I wasn't even doing anything cool, just throwing the stupid ball back from the outfield.

On the plus side, I like my surgeon. He answered all my questions and didn't seem weirded out that I showed up with questions printed out along with blank lines for me to take notes on. Pretty sharp, and with a good sense of humor too.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Re: Knee Surgery

Post by rowan » Fri May 11, 9:41 2018

uughhh that sounds terrible. :(
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri May 11, 11:09 2018

That suuuuuucks. :/
Crutches are insanely uncomfortable and hard to get around on. Like, WTF. When I was a kid, I thought they'd be totally fun! THEY NOT, CHILD BORK, NOT AT ALL. YOU WERE SO WRONG.
Yeah, crutches are (kind of?) fun when I'm 60 lbs and get to swing around and do cool balancing tricks. Multiply that by three and moving around on crutches is an endurance workout.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Fri May 11, 13:21 2018

I'm sorry Bork! I had that surgery half my lifetime ago under similar circumstances. All I did was step on a curb a bit off while running, and then try to convince doctors that I wasn't just a drug seeker. What counts as success? Best of luck to you!

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon May 14, 21:01 2018

melsbells wrote:
Fri May 11, 13:21 2018
I'm sorry Bork! I had that surgery half my lifetime ago under similar circumstances. All I did was step on a curb a bit off while running, and then try to convince doctors that I wasn't just a drug seeker. What counts as success? Best of luck to you!

What in the world??? Did they think you had intentionally stepped off a curb to score pain meds, or that you were faking the injury overall?

Success would be healing, I think - they're going to unfold the meniscus and then sew it back up, but it doesn't have great blood flow so getting it to heal back together can be tricky.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue May 15, 6:33 2018

They thought I was faking the injury. I suppose I was asking you if they thought it was possible to return to previous activity levels, if it was a success, or if success was a lower level like being able to function daily. So does 70% success mean that although the meniscus heals it has to be coddled or does success mean that once the whole ordeal is over you get to return to life per usual? I don't remember any information on success rates like that, but it was so long ago as to be irrelevant. I do remember that part about lacking blood flow to heal on it's own.

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue May 15, 9:29 2018

Eating a collagen rich diet or taking collagen supplements post-op will make it heal a lot faster, along with L-glutamine. There's a company called Great Lakes that sells a collagen powder that you just add to water, but there are many collagen powder producers out there. I prefer collagen supplements because I'm not a big fan of eating connective tissue, but if you eat meat then eating the meat that's close to the joints will be higher in collagen.

In terms of supplements, this is hands down the best one, and it's the best preventative for these kinds of injuries:
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Hydr ... 6BC2M?th=1

I have no business affiliation with any of these brands, just clinical experience with people who have sports injuries. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds by offering you this advice when you didn't ask. Just wanting to make sure you heal well :)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed May 16, 21:34 2018

No, that’s awesome to hear!! They were able to save my mensiscus although still touch and go so anything that can help me heal is great. Thank you so much for letting me know, I really appreciate.

Unfortunately had some surgical complications. I’m currently in the ER and likely will be admitted overnight. Oxygen levels dropped low, possibly to the mid 80s but I was pretty out of it when they were explaining things so that might be wrong. And then I think they had to intebate me and I might have aspirated stomach acid. My knee is killing me and I can’t breath very well, even after three nebulizer treatments (method to give albuterol, for asthma). My throat is fucking killing me. It feels like I have strep and swallowing is agony.

Aum

Post by Aum » Fri May 18, 9:57 2018

The post-op sore throat really sucks... I know it well. Sometimes they are so rough when they put the tube in. I drink a lot of tea with raw honey in it after times like that, and it helps... and eating popsicles. Have you ever seen those empty plastic popsicle molds you can buy at the dollar store? I fill those with half juice and half water and just eat those all day. The sugar gives you a bit of energy too. If the hospital is nice they'll let you use a freezer somewhere.

I hope your breathing gets better soon :(
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.