Finally happened.

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Skeezy

Finally happened.

Post by Skeezy » Wed May 30, 22:40 2018

Well I've seen this on thenews countless times. Finally it hit home.

Been one of those crappy but blessed at the same time months. Long story short, sub pump failure, foot and some inches water, and we lost about 75% of our stuff. Luckily insurance is going to cover it due to the sub pump being a permanent fixture of the house..whew.

Lots of people and businesses county over had it way worse for the 2nd time.

Day3

The carpet is pulled up and the walls are cut open. Huge dehumidifier and lots of fans running. Hot water is back one. So tired of the smell and inconvienience but grateful it wasn't worse.

Drinking beer more often this week. Its raining now, more rain on the way.

Can't wait to put this behind me

spacefem

Re: Finally happened.

Post by spacefem » Thu May 31, 3:38 2018

That sucks :( what’s ruined, clothes, furniture, are you having to replace carpet?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Fri Jun 1, 7:36 2018

Its a rancher type house. My wife and I live in the basement apartment. So pretty much almost everything we had. Managed to save some clothes, my playstation, and 1 pair of shoes.

Days later we find that the brand new tv got ruined by moisture in the air. The other tv was fine. Lots of paperwork to replace such as, marraige liscence etc. Everything in storage is pretty much gone.

The carpet got pulled up already and everything is drying out. A crew checked for mold and cut out 1 board from the bathroom. Any metal tables such as the computer tables I'm keeping. Haven't decided on chairs yet. There was audio visual studio equipment that survived but the computer that ran it all was near the bottom.

All in all lost about 85% of our stuff. The worst is pictures, wedding gifts and inhertied things from deceased loved ones. Also, I'm paranoid as hell when it rains now and constantly check the sub pump. Going to buy like 2 more. Other than that it's not so bad as long as the fix goes will which it is.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Jun 1, 9:29 2018

I hope it ends soon enough for you Skeezy. I'm sorry you lost so much.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Jun 1, 13:05 2018

Oh jeez that's really horrible. :( I hope the insurance doesn't give you any hassle but it can't get all the irreplaceable things. :(
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri Jun 1, 14:48 2018

Oh no, that's awful! I'm so sorry - losing all of those irreplaceable personal items must be horrible. I worry about that a lot, and how to protect things like that.

Friend of mine had a water heater slooooooooowly leak over the course of probably about a month, and didn't realize it until the flooded water started coming up through the floor in her living room. I think she was out of her place for six weeks, although she had to deal with super shitty contractors and rental company. Hope your repairs go smoothly!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Jun 1, 17:52 2018

I'm so sorry.

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Thu Jun 7, 9:09 2018

Insurance wants me to take all the electronics to be tested. They will cut us a check. Thank god because of read many horror stories about State Farm.

My wife and I are adjusting to being in a much smaller space for the time being. Hopefuflly we will be back to normal by the end of june.

Thanks for all the condolences.

Aum

Post by Aum » Sun Jun 10, 4:57 2018

I can't imagine the logistical nightmare you're going through, especially while trying to negotiate with an insurance company.

My thoughts are with you for sure.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Jun 11, 15:54 2018

I'm sorry you lost so many irreplaceables. I hope insurance and bureaucracy is good to you for the rest.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Wed Jun 13, 17:00 2018

Oh no! I've been dealing with some extremely annoying basement leak issues lately but haven't lost anything of importance. That's terrible.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Fri Jun 22, 11:14 2018

@Enigma. The waterproofing people came yesterday. So its going to cost 25k to waterproof the basement.

Got to get a estimate from someone else that does what state farm is willing to pay for. Get their check and use a loan for the rest.

Cant wait till everything is done.