Should white feminists and feminist allies criticize minority created media the same?

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Pikachu

Should white feminists and feminist allies criticize minority created media the same?

Post by Pikachu » Wed Apr 3, 18:19 2019

There's two competing intersectional feminist interests here.

A) The desire to encourage more minority creators and voices in media.

B) And the imperative to call out problematic elements that most media will have in some way.

So do feminists call out the problematic elements the same way they would if it were made by a straight white neurotypical cis male, or do they soften their criticism for say, a lesbian black autistic trans woman?

I've seen this play out online and there wasn't any difference as far as I could tell.

Storage and Disposal

Re: Should white feminists and feminist allies criticize minority created media the same?

Post by Storage and Disposal » Fri Apr 5, 21:10 2019

That would be pandering not encouraging. Yes, the art should be criticized if elements are problematic. Anything less and we'd have to address the possible implication that we're saying they aren't of the same caliber as white, cis men.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Pikachu

Re: Should white feminists and feminist allies criticize minority created media the same?

Post by Pikachu » Mon Apr 8, 4:29 2019

Storage and Disposal wrote:
Fri Apr 5, 21:10 2019
That would be pandering not encouraging. Yes, the art should be criticized if elements are problematic. Anything less and we'd have to address the possible implication that we're saying they aren't of the same caliber as white, cis men.
White people telling people of colour their art is problematic is anti diversity though. Such criticism is not for white allies to make. The ally supports the voices of people of colour if THEY make the criticism.

So you'd argue a white man telling a woman of colour that "breasts don't work that way", going on to mansplain breasts in response to the woman's drawing, carries the same implications as a white man telling another white man?

Cos that was what I saw. Done in an internet meme no less. And it drove the woman from the feminist group. While mocking the art of cis straight white dudes like that is fairly common in feminist groups, and not seen as a huge problem as the art world is male cis white dominated, it seems hypocritical to say the minority's work is unacceptable while advocating for diversity of creators. The message becomes from a bunch of white feminist people, that we want black people to make art, but only if they make what we, the majority group with institutional power, think they should be making.

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Tue Apr 9, 21:05 2019

Pikachu wrote:
Mon Apr 8, 4:29 2019
\
So you'd argue...
Aaaaaand this debate is officially over. I'll answer this question swiftly. No.

I'm not conversing with someone that swiftly runs to putting words in my mouth.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung