John Wick 3, Aladdin (2019), and Booksmart

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

John Wick 3, Aladdin (2019), and Booksmart

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun May 26, 3:40 2019

John Wick 3 -
-As expected, this movie turns up the action with John WIck now excommunicado and a price on his own head. The setpieces are fantastic with a lot of creative choreography for the hand-to-hand fights. They continue to build on the world as well. We get to see more elements of the High Table as well as a bit of John WIck's background. It delivers on what wants from a John Wick movie.

Aladdin (2019) - The Good -
-Naomi Scott as Jasmine I felt had the best performance in both acting and singing. Mena Massoud was a good choice for Aladdin. The production value and choreography was good. They add a handmaiden named Dahlia, played by Nasim Pedrad, who I really enjoyed. Will Smith when they let him be himself as the Genie.

-The Bad - While I get remakes need to make changes to set themselves apart (like they did with adding the handmaiden), some changes they made make no sense. For example, they moved the scene where Aladdin meets Jasmine to an earlier part in the movie. And how they're introduced I feel undermines Jasmine's intelligence and strength in confidence. Even after explaining why no one recognizes him, because of this scene, she has no reason to believe his continued lie.

Booksmart - I really enjoyed the movie. It was refreshing to see a coming of age "High school graduation" movie not focus on sex. There is an element of that to it, but is more of a natural development than a central focus. It's really about two high school girls who have focused on studying but never having any fun. They have one last night to show the high school they can party and trying to hunt down the address of a specific party. A lot of comedy ensues when they start on the journey. It has a lot of heart and some real conflict as well. The movie for me felt a little slow to build from their last day of high school to their last night to have fun, but it had to be in order to introduce some of the elements we see later on.

Of the movies, I can recommend Booksmart and John Wick 3

octarineoboe

Re: John Wick 3, Aladdin (2019), and Booksmart

Post by octarineoboe » Sun May 26, 17:11 2019

I loved Booksmart! It was very funny, and I'm always here for the nerdy girls who are trying too hard. And a spoilery thing that I liked:
neither of them has success with their love interests. That felt very true to life for me.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: John Wick 3, Aladdin (2019), and Booksmart

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue May 28, 3:47 2019

octarineoboe wrote:
Sun May 26, 17:11 2019
I loved Booksmart! It was very funny, and I'm always here for the nerdy girls who are trying too hard. And a spoilery thing that I liked:
neither of them has success with their love interests. That felt very true to life for me.
I also liked the spoilery thing. It was good to see a movie take that direction.